Use Content from SD (Solved)

thomasdtran

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, based on my testing, I had to rebuild after adding even a picture. This kind of sucks really. I may just return this 32GB for a 64GB.

Rebuild just reindexes the folders. This process seems to be fooled by the hack.
Fooled by the hack meaning it works? I guess we all have to make sure we add enough content before we rebuild haha.

VidJuhEffex

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Anybody able to write a batch file for this? So we can leave on the desktop. I imagine this would yield better performance than going through a VHD as I have had it.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused. What problem is there with just mounting the SD card to a folder? I have had 0 problems and this is the same thing I have been doing back in Windows 7. And don't create a new drive letter for it. Just mount it to a single folder.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused. What problem is there with just mounting the SD card to a folder? I have had 0 problems and this is the same thing I have been doing back in Windows 7. And don't create a new drive letter for it. Just mount it to a single folder.

It seems to work but fails to manage changes going forward. To test, save a pic to your pictures folder and see if it shows up in the metro photo app. It works fine in desktop mode, just having issues in metro.

VidJuhEffex

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
To be clear, mine has had no issues ADDING files. It's when I remove them that the changes don't get reflect. Rebuilding an index works, but for now the convenience of the VHD will have to do.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It seems to work but fails to manage changes going forward. To test, save a pic to your pictures folder and see if it shows up in the metro photo app. It works fine in desktop mode, just having issues in metro.

I just saved the image of the quote button from this forum to my mounted folder, and it is showing up right away in my photo app. Strange.

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Just installed my 64gb microSD:

Screenshot19.png

I'm trying to think if I want to remap directories or just add folders to libraries to make the best use of space. Having ~10gb of free space on C: doesn't seem right after a weekend of installing apps and getting the system setup. I haven't added any movies or music yet...

The Surface should have been sold in 64gb and 128gb models. The OS is pretty big and a lot of disk space was lost to recovery partitions.

Right now:
935mb = C:\Program Files
7mb = C:\ProgramData
0mb= C:\Sources
1500mb = C:\Users
7700mb = C:\Windows

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Just installed my 64gb microSD:

Click to view quoted image

I'm trying to think if I want to remap directories or just add folders to libraries to make the best use of space. Having ~10gb of free space on C: doesn't seem right after a weekend of installing apps and getting the system setup. I haven't added any movies or music yet...

The Surface should have been sold in 64gb and 128gb models. The OS is pretty big and a lot of disk space was lost to recovery partitions.

Right now:
935mb = C:\Program Files
7mb = C:\ProgramData
0mb= C:\Sources
1500mb = C:\Users
7700mb = C:\Windows

Why not just play the files off the sd card like the rest of us...?

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

Because what people want the surface to do is properly index the files so that everything appears where it is supposed to, music being in the music app, videos in the video app. Pictures in the pictures app. and so on.

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll mess with it this morning, but basically if I remap the two user accounts on my Surface to the microSD on D: then...
- I won't run into storage space issues as quickly if either account starts collecting large files in their desktop and documents folders.
- It'll make it easy to quickly transfer/recover all of my user data.
- I don't have to consciously remember to put things on D:, because it'll automatically be there when I put it in MyDocs, on the desktop, etc.

EDIT:

I had no problems moving the basic folders (desktop, documents, music, etc.) to my SD, but I'll have to read up on moving the hidden AppData folder.

Screenshot20.png

There's also a tutorial on sevenforums.com for how to move the whole enchilada:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/87555-user-profile-change-default-location.html
Maybe I'll test it out with another account to see how Modern UI apps work with it.

Windows still didn't want to index my remapped "unsupported libraries", so I had to do the same trick you guys did. After running a manual index, mp3s and photos showed up in apps. All my data except the AppData folder is on my 64gb micro SD.

Last edited:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Here is another link to an explanation of how to do this:

http://www.winsupersite.com/print/windows8/surface-tip-microsd-content-libraries-metro-apps-144658

Awesome mod indeed!!!

the problem is this shouldn't have to be a "mod" The music app is extremely stripped down and can't even do what I could do with Zune, which is add a location within that software and it just sees and enumerates all the albums in the added folder. This is a bug/glitch/shortfalls whatever you want to call it that Microsoft needs to fix ASAP.

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that when playing music that is on the SD card, if the screen goes to sleep, the music stops at the end of the song that was playing. It seems that when the current song finishes, it cuts power to the SD card. Kind of make is useless to have a music collection on the SD card.

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
***Caution*** I haven't tested this:

I've been reading up on a program for Lexar flash drives called BootIt that can flip the removable media bit(RMB) and make the flash media appear as a fixed disk. I'm going to read up on it more before attempting it on my 64gb Sandisk micro SD, but it could be a solution if you are going to leave the same card in your surface forever. (or it could totally hose your micro SD)

I called up the local Microsoft store to see about exchanging my 32gb Surface, that I pre-ordered online, for a 64gb. They said it wouldn't be an issue and they have 64gb models in stock.

EDIT:
There may also be a filter driver that can be installed. The filter driver ignores the RMB, so the micro SD would appear as a fixed disk and no changes would be made to the drive.

Read more: http://agnipulse.com/2012/03/filter-drivers-removable-media-fixed-disk-windows

Last edited:

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
***Caution*** I haven't tested this:

I've been reading up on a program for Lexar flash drives called BootIt that can flip the removable media bit(RMB) and make the flash media appear as a fixed disk. I'm going to read up on it more before attempting it on my 64gb Sandisk micro SD, but it could be a solution if you are going to leave the same card in your surface forever. (or it could totally hose your micro SD)

I called up the local Microsoft store to see about exchanging my 32gb Surface, that I pre-ordered online, for a 64gb. They said it wouldn't be an issue and they have 64gb models in stock.

EDIT:
There may also be a filter driver that can be installed. The filter driver ignores the RMB, so the micro SD would appear as a fixed disk and no changes would be made to the drive.

Read more: Filter Drivers – Removable Media as Fixed Disk in Windows | AgniPulse

do you think that would work on a RT device. It looks like you need to install something, which can't be done on RT...

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
A little off topic, but where is a good place to get cheap class 10 32GB or 64GB micro sd cards? Kinda don't wanna pay more than $40 lol.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'd just like to reiterate...why should we be having to do this crap? It is the app that is broken, not our workflows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6