Surface- The issues

shortyg83

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I figured I would start a thread of known issues here that I have read either here or on other forums. If anyone knows a fix or has experienced this they can post their stories.

1. Touch cover not working. ( I have only had this happen once so far)
2. Micro SD. Surface does not always read the card.
3. Sending media to other devices doesn't seem to work.
4. When the screen is off, the surface will not properly play music.
(if you let surface sit while playing music and the screen goes black. It will start skipping and or stopping music all together. Screen must be forced to stay on the entire time.)
5. Xbox music App randomly shuts down.

Besides these issues. I have still loved my overall experience with the surface. While I feel most issues could be fixed with patches. The SD reader issue I am not so sure if it is hardware or software.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I figured I would start a thread of known issues here that I have read either here or on other forums. If anyone knows a fix or has experienced this they can post their stories.

(if you let surface sit while playing music and the screen goes black. It will start skipping and or stopping music all together. Screen must be forced to stay on the entire time.)

Besides these issues. I have still loved my overall experience with the surface. While I feel most issues could be fixed with patches. The SD reader issue I am not so sure if it is hardware or software.

I can't say I have encountered a single example of these "issues" on my Surface RT. Quite frankly most seem like random errors associated with hardware defects or OS corruption than anything else. Both do happen as evidenced by the fact that the iPad is not only one of the popular purchases at BestBuy but also one of the most common returns (check the open box page for any of their stores). I would suggest trying a factory reset to wipe and reinstall the OS and see if things go away. If things persist people should contact customer support.

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Sluggish.

My issues:

1. Touch Cover is not very responsive - track pad on touch cover not that great. Type cover = much better than touch cover
2. Some apps do not re-orient when the screen is rotated 180 degrees
3. Screen rotation is sluggish when device is rotated 90 degrees
4. Speaker volume very low
5. Overall performance is sluggish

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

1) never had this
2) Because you aren't clicking it into place.
3) No problem using Play To for me.
4) go into Windows settings and extend sleep time.
5) Never has this.

dermotf

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
My issues:

1. Touch Cover is not very responsive - track pad on touch cover not that great. Type cover = much better than touch cover
2. Some apps do not re-orient when the screen is rotated 180 degrees
3. Screen rotation is sluggish when device is rotated 90 degrees
4. Speaker volume very low
5. Overall performance is sluggish

Touch cover is working great for me, very responsive, I love it.
No problems so far with rotation.
Speakers are a bit low.
Mine zips a long, not sluggish at all. Do you have a lot of apps running in the background?

dermotf

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Make sure to check for updates, I just installed 4, one was for Windows RT and the others were for bundled apps. I am pretty confident that they will get updates to fix any issues, out pretty quickly.

I must say I am very impressed with it, I can't seem to put it down.

niravc

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else have only 15.9 GB of space out of 24.9 GB? I get that 8 GB could've gone towards formatting and the pre-loaded apps, but I have no media stored and only downloaded 3 additional apps yet somehow lost 9 additional GBs

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else have only 15.9 GB of space out of 24.9 GB? I get that 8 GB could've gone towards formatting and the pre-loaded apps, but I have no media stored and only downloaded 3 additional apps yet somehow lost 9 additional GBs

I have 15.8 but I also installed a crapload of apps including the office retail update.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Mine has a dead pixel right off the center of the screen. I did not want to go back to the store today but I have to.

I'm disappointed in the performance of the device as well. Wifi wouldn't stay connected, touch cover kept losing connection (if you watch a video in full screen, you need to take touch cover off and on afterwards.. Really Panos? You never have to take touch cover off?), games don't work (LAG!), speakers crackle if you have more than one app open... I'm going to exchange mine, but I really considered just getting my money back. A device this expensive should work better. Did Microsoft blatantly lie about the usability of this thing or did everybody just get defective units?

shortyg83

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
1) never had this
2) Because you aren't clicking it into place.
3) No problem using Play To for me.
4) go into Windows settings and extend sleep time.
5) Never has this.

Oh really?
I had the same issue. Turns out I was just babying it too much and I wasn't making a proper connection.
that is you stating you had an issue with your touch pad.
2. Yes I am in fact it shows up for a little while but then randomly goes away where I have to take it out and reinsert like 5 times.
3. Were you able to send music to a desktop by any chance? I cannot figure it out.
4. I did this, but all that does is leave the screen on for 2 hours. Why this can' have the screen off yet still stream music is just silly.
5. Please as a test try leaving xbox music running for an extended period of time. Mine does it around 15-25 min mark. And just set tablet down and let it play.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear that some of you have so many problems. I really can't put this amazing machine down it is probably the coolest and best working thing I own currently. Everything works intuitively and all my things sync up perfectly with my pc. Just typed up a document on touch cover, super responsive and blazing fast typing. Upwards of 80 wpm. I did however immediately install all windows Rt updates then the apps updates. No performance issues yet, but as my battery was about to die I had this weird flickering. Surface was probably trying to save power or something. Once I plugged it in and charged it back up all back to normal,. Good luck everyone this thing is absolutely amazing.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Cool day at the mall today for me. Returned my surface with the bad screen, got another one. Opened up the new one in the mall juuust incase. Wouldn't turn on. Went on once when the power initially got plugged in but it couldn't restart. Weird. Third one doesn't have any defects, and for the trouble they gave me a free touch cover. Awesome customer care Microsoft :)

jonldevries

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
also have issue playing music when screen off

it stutters when it first starts the song, so maybe something else is running, I hope there will be an update

As I was typing this on my surface I heard a song stutter so maybe it is a cpu thing

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh really?
that is you stating you had an issue with your touch pad.
2. Yes I am in fact it shows up for a little while but then randomly goes away where I have to take it out and reinsert like 5 times.
3. Were you able to send music to a desktop by any chance? I cannot figure it out.
4. I did this, but all that does is leave the screen on for 2 hours. Why this can' have the screen off yet still stream music is just silly.
5. Please as a test try leaving xbox music running for an extended period of time. Mine does it around 15-25 min mark. And just set tablet down and let it play.

Me not doing something correctly != it not working. No problems since I started just letting it slam together.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Nice. Lucky. That is the one advantage of being an early adopter. You have problems, you return and they give you a replacement with no questions. Then if you still have a problem they start compensating you without much hassle. In a few months, you will not just be given a free touch cover because you have some issues. They will direct you to a service person or something similar. Complain enough, and you may get a free touch cover as you did.

soldierblue348

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Mine had a bright spot on the LCD panel itself. That's all. I already sent it in for replacement.

I will comment, they were ridiculously unprepared for this. It took me literally three hours to set up a warranty replacement. I'd have just lived with it, but after that much effort getting it set up, I'm doing it.

Like this but bigger -> http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4726/sideviewrw4.jpg

I didn't want to chance it getting worse. I had one on a laptop and by the end of year-one it was about a quarter-inch long and brighter.

DrSaiko

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
So far I'm not having any issues, I'm loving it.. just a little disappointed with the space on the 32GB. 15.2 GB free of 24.9 GB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb