Let's talk performance

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
So I love my Surface. A lot. I'm typing this on the touch cover right now. But I have made some observations.

I should mention that I do have full W8 on my PC which definitely could have some effect on my perceptions.

My first observation is that the OS itself is really fast and smooth. Couldn't be happier. It's certain apps I'm concerned with. Mainly the People app. Does anyone else find it just slow and unreliable? I've had it crash a couple times, anyone had any app crashes at all? I've had about 5, which I don't find acceptable. Sometimes other apps get slow too, but this one is particularly bad. Other times I'll hit a button in any app and it just acts like I didn't hit it at all.

How about y'all? Any bad performance, hiccups, inconsistencies, etc.?

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
For the most part I am very satisfied with the performance. Once in a while something will be jerky (aka people app and some stupid recipe app I downloaded) but it's very good for a first release and much smoother than any android tablet I've had. Plus it'll only get better with time :)

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I bought the surface to perform student things, like taking notes etc. This is the first time using onenote, and exporting pdfs takes forever. Granted I understand that its 50 pages of PDF version powerpoint but it seriously takes at least an hour to get a lecture into OneNote. At this point its the only viable option since there is zero PDF note taking apps. Do you guys know if the uploading will run in the background while I use Metro? I feel like when I put the surface to sleep the uploading stops, or maybe its just me being non-attentive.

I also had an issue where the surface got stuck on "high contrast" mode, but somehow it fixed itself. Overall I've seen a couple of glitches/bugs that will need to be fixed by microsoft.

And I know I sound really pessimistic in this response but I actually do love the surface, and I'm really excited to put it to the test this week at school.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I havent much issues with apps and performance so far, i do have an issue with Facebook not pulling some feeds. Another is the xbox games app, seems a little glitchy and buggy...

There is also an issue with wifi becoming unlimited too, disconnecting and reconnecting the wifi connectoin fixes it.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I can't say I have had any performance issues, including the People app. With that said though, that is the one app for which I would report any issues. It has already been updated a couple times, but it was occasionally erratic in all of the Windows 8 preview versions and the Windows 8 RTM that I have been running since August. I think it is going to take feedback from users and a couple bug fixes to really get it right. The good thing is you can probably expect updates pretty frequently since it is part of the same app package as the calendar and email, and as far as I know there are additional features still to be rolled out for at least the email component.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any issues, but I don't have tons of contacts.
But it is a Bleeding edge device, so there will be some bumps in the road to bliss.

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Like almost everyone else here, I like my Surface and am very happy with my purchase. However, I do have some gripes with the device, performance being one of the. I am experiencing the following performance issues:

1. Screen rotation is sluggish
2. IE page rendering is sluggish
3. Scrolling is sometimes sluggish

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa