torrents?

bensun6

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Is there a solution to download torrents right now before a native client come out?

Also, say utorrent release a native version for win8 and submits to app store, does that mean it will be compatible with RT given the similarities between the OS?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Is there a solution to download torrents right now before a native client come out?

Also, say utorrent release a native version for win8 and submits to app store, does that mean it will be compatible with RT given the similarities between the OS?

Windows Store is not just for ARM apps, so no.

And we have been getting like one thread a day about wanting a torrent app. Give it time. I personally use a seed box so I don't really need a local client.

theseusperse

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
A torrent app wont come to RT because it would go against the closed and secure nature of RT.

False. uTorrent are already working on an app, it will be released in November, already in Alpha.

I'm also working on porting a version of Transmission.

There's going to be plenty of Torrent apps. Nothing to worry about.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying no app that will be able to download a file. I find that highly improbable.

That's not what I said, so I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

But torrents don't come from an approved and known distributor. They come from other people.

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The thing is that you wont be able to run anything unsafe on the RT anyways. You can download music or videos from unsecure sources as well even through your browser. Or you can download all the exe files you want from your browser from malware infested sites, but you just cant run them.

Your logic doesnt quite hold, I must agree toekramp more or less :p

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The thing is that you wont be able to run anything unsafe on the RT anyways. You can download music or videos from unsecure sources as well even through your browser. Or you can download all the exe files you want from your browser from malware infested sites, but you just cant run them.

Your logic doesnt quite hold, I must agree toekramp more or less :p

OK. I get what you're saying. It would be to download files to your SD card, and not for running on your tablet?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure it's not a desktop app for x86?

They already have a desktop x86 app...

That's not what I said, so I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

But torrents don't come from an approved and known distributor. They come from other people.

You can download files from anywhere on RT. You just can't download apps from outside the store. Most torrents are videos/music

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
A torrent app wont come to RT because it would go against the closed and secure nature of RT.

I wouldn't be so sure to state that as fact. A torrent app was recently released on the Windows Phone store. No reason why we wouldn't see an RT version sometime soon.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I know plenty of reputable companies that use torrents. Its a great way to alleviate server issues. If anyone plays flight sims they will know Eagle Dynamics. I download all my updates and add on modules via torrent. Really dont want to download a +gb file from a single server. Even apple and MS have problems with that when traffic is high.

True though, torrents can be used for insidious behavior.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro