How to enable flash use on streaming sites

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml

I opened the folder on my desktop for the hard drive and entered the link above. It sent me to a website with all the domain information but I couldn't edit it.

You need to open the iecompatdata.xml with a text editor like Notepad.

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Do you mind helping me out with how I do that? I just need to add one site so I can use this with a website that I use daily for work.

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
You need to open the iecompatdata.xml with a text editor like Notepad.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong. I opened the link in notepad. I went down to the very bottom of the screen and entered < domain >glennbeck.com< / domain >. Once I finished entering the domain I hit save. I tried to play the radio which requires flash player and it didn't work. I opened the icompatdata.xml again and noticed that the changes that I entered did not save.

What am I doing wrong?

tjn09

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
For those of you having problems, make sure that you right click on the xml file and un-check read-only so you can add sites and save the changes. Second, make sure you put the sites between <flash> and </flash>. Use ctrl+f and search for flash to find this area. Thanks to whoever found this, it works great!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Nothing weird. Seems to perform just the same for me using gorillavid. Works surprisingly nicely! In some cases better than the native video app!

pmarting

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
lynda.com

hi all I use a site for training Lynda.com and this isn't working with surface tried this tip and still doesn't work could someone test it for me just in case I am doing something wrong

thanks
paul

Marvin_S

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
He guys,

As some of you may know, I've discovered this method by analysing the system behind the whitelist. Some of you may have some troubles with this method, if you can not get a website to work you are doing something wrong! It does work, also on Windows RT and works on pretty much any site (all it does is just allowing the flash plugin for every site you add). So unless the website uses some unsupported type of plugin, every website with stock flash content will just work.

If you have any questions please also read the original thread on XDA developers for more info:
Flash on Any Website in IE10 Metro Browser (WIN 8 & WIN RT) - xda-developers

A more detailed and structured explaination of the method is described there.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will most likely not respond a lot here (so appologies in advance), as I normally don't attend this forum and did not know there was a thread going on about the method here.

Kind regards,

Marvin

Marvin_S

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Also I don't have a Surface so I can't comment on battery issues.

However all is does is enabling flash, so in theory battery life should not be any worse than browsing a whitelisted website. That said, flash is not very efficient, so it will likely drain battery faster due to the content you will watch (i.e. watching flash video or video in general is just very energy demanding).

So don't worry about the battery life, it will not do any significant damage if you do not watch any flash video. If you do watch streaming video, naturally it will have an impact (flash or non flash).

I hope to have hereby answered all your questions.

pmarting

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Important you clear IE history. tried tip last night and didn't seem to work but today and cleared history and Lynda.com I mentioned works great

question I have why have the list if all the sites not on it work?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos