Media playback question

reepS

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I ordered my surface on 10/20 so I still have to wait 2 weeks, but I was wondering if the surface rt can play music and movies I purchased on itunes? I have a sd card on the way and was hoping it would be compatible.

Thanks!

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, I ordered my surface on 10/20 so I still have to wait 2 weeks, but I was wondering if the surface rt can play music and movies I purchased on itunes? I have a sd card on the way and was hoping it would be compatible.

Thanks!
I'm not super sure, but most if not all files off itunes are mp4. And the surface plays all the files I've thrown at it so far which includes mp4's. THe screen itself is not 1080p but does playback 720p and will play the file despite not being able to display it in 1080p. I have a lot of HD videos I moved to my surface and it's been playing flawlessly.

For the sd card, make sure it is a class 10 for playing movies off of it. Right now you can't simply just access the card and play it. You need to have surface index the files, everything is explained for you in this thread.http://forums.windowscentral.com/surface-windows-rt/199759.htm

reepS

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply and the link! I bought the 32gb amazon micro sd that was posted on the wpcentral homepage a few days ago, i guess i will figure out if itll work in due time. Has anyone else tried playing itunes media?

pstork

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
You can't transfer the music from iTunes directly to your surface because of the built in DRM. However, you can legally use iTunes to burn the music to a CD and then re-rip the music to your PC. Once that's done the music will be DRM free and in WMA format which you can play on your PC. As long as you don't start sharing it with other people it should be the same as purchasing the CD and ripping the music to play it on your own PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire