Bent Kickstand?

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Got my surface last friday. I was wondering if anyone else's kick stand was bend on arrival. The side where there is a notch to open the kickstand is fine, but on the other side there is a noticeable gap when it closed - like it is bowed out in the middle. I'll try to take some photos so you can see more what I mean.

I'm debating on whether this is a big enough issue to return it or not (not sure what stock is like so I'm afraid if I return it I might not get a replacement for a while) - everything else is fine, but I hate to have a defect in a something I paid so much for right out of the box.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
My is flush and flat all over; I'd return it. If you keep it, it's just going to bug you because you know it's there.

I think the stock is better then what we initially thought; in the stores and Holiday stores that is.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
If this was an Apple forum everyone would tell you to not worry about something so small and insignificant, but here we will tell you to exchange it. They might not sighting that you could have done that yourself.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Oh my god this is such a mess! I have been on the phone or in chat with their support trying to get this resolved since 9:30am CST, it's now 2:40pm and the end result is that they don't know what to do and are supposed to be calling me back within 72 hours (I'll believe it when it happens). I've added a ton of stuff to my rant detailing the process:

Microsoft Surface RT Support Nightmare | Site Untitled

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a pop-up store near you? You can bring there and they will exchange it for you.

I'm about an hour to an hour and half away from the nearest pop up store, but I still considered it. Then I saw this:

Microsoft Store Online

Items Must be Returned to Same Microsoft Store Where Purchased

Items ordered from the Microsoft Online Store can only be returned or exchanged at the Microsoft Online Store.

Items purchased at a Microsoft Retail Store location can only be returned or exchanged at a Microsoft Retail Store location.

Tomerunlocks

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm about an hour to an hour and half away from the nearest pop up store, but I still considered it. Then I saw this:

Microsoft Store Online

Items Must be Returned to Same Microsoft Store Where Purchased

Items ordered from the Microsoft Online Store can only be returned or exchanged at the Microsoft Online Store.

Items purchased at a Microsoft Retail Store location can only be returned or exchanged at a Microsoft Retail Store location.

That's not true. People have returned their online orders into stores when there was dead pixels or issues. Try it.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
That's not true. People have returned their online orders into stores when there was dead pixels or issues. Try it.

Ah, cool - someone needs to tell MS to update their site :)

I've got to go to the city this Friday night anyway - not sure if I'll have the time but if I do then I'll swing by (and if the line's not too long) to exchange it.

NocturnalAlloy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Bent Surface RT

Got my Surface RT a few days back and the entire body is bent, if I put it on a flat surface (no pun intended) it does not touch in the middle by a good 2mm. This shows even more if you are looking at the keyboard connector, it's shaped like a banana and I have issues connecting the keyboard one out of 3 times. There is even some ripples on the glass when looking at light reflection. I called the online store (where I bought it) and that's when the nightmare started for me as well, they did not know what to do, I was on the phone for at least 2 hours. Finally I was told that someone will call me back in the next 2 days. Luckily it's working fine other than being bent. I'm 5 hours away from an MS Store.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Got my Surface RT a few days back and the entire body is bent, if I put it on a flat surface (no pun intended) it does not touch in the middle by a good 2mm. This shows even more if you are looking at the keyboard connector, it's shaped like a banana and I have issues connecting the keyboard one out of 3 times. There is even some ripples on the glass when looking at light reflection. I called the online store (where I bought it) and that's when the nightmare started for me as well, they did not know what to do, I was on the phone for at least 2 hours. Finally I was told that someone will call me back in the next 2 days. Luckily it's working fine other than being bent. I'm 5 hours away from an MS Store.

1) Call support and insist it be escalated. You will be on and off the phone in a lot less than an hour and they will initiate an RMA. Odd that a few people are having such trouble with the process but probably related to them bringing on new people for the holidays. Alternatively, people may have to make through the Digital River people first and they are useless. I think, however, they are only on the sales side. Microsoft is also aware of the Digital River issues (I have had very long communications with them on the subject).
2) If a 2mm bend is shaped like a banana where you live, you have some very odd looking bananas. Any bend is not good for an electronic device but that is hardly banana shaped. That is quite a bit of hyperbole for a first post....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans