Forth row of Start screen tiles...?

kendric84

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I was having trouble getting my Surface to recognize my Touch Cover so I rebooted. When it came back up I had four rows of tiles on my Start screen. (See pic)

I'm 99% sure there is no setting for this and it's controlled by the OS based on screen resolution. Am I crazy?

Unfortunately, I rebooted again and the fourth row went away :( I think I would actually like having four rows.

Anyone else seen anything link this?

anon(5324511)

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I restarted mine yesterday and it did the exact samething!! Also, I restarted it again and the 4th row went away. I then went looking for a setting or something to make it this way but couldn't. Be nice to make it that way permanently!

Stormwatch342

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Registry editor hack

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Grid

Right click in the main window, select New, and create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value. Now, rename it to Layout_MaximumRowCount. and then open the key to set the custom maximum number of rows. You can restart or log off your computer to implement the changes. On a monitor with 1920 x 1080 resolution, you can get up to 6 rows of tiles on the Start Screen.

Top 20 Windows 8 Tweaks, Hacks & Tips

kendric84

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Registry editor hack

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\Grid

Right click in the main window, select New, and create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value. Now, rename it to Layout_MaximumRowCount. and then open the key to set the custom maximum number of rows. You can restart or log off your computer to implement the changes. On a monitor with 1920 x 1080 resolution, you can get up to 6 rows of tiles on the Start Screen.

Top 20 Windows 8 Tweaks, Hacks & Tips
I assume it's some sort of glitch but glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing it.

Thanks for sharing this tweak!

kendric84

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to note I have not tried or tested this. Use at your discretion.
I tried it and it didn't work. I also tried changing the other values that seemed to be related to row count, "Layout_MaiximumAvailableHeightCells" and "Layout_AvailableHeightCells" but after a reboot they were set back to their original values.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
On start screen go to settings charm. Click Tiles at top. Click the slider to more tiles.

This is on my desktop win8 pro. If you don't have this setting option then its a desktop setting that can be changed

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
On start screen go to settings charm. Click Tiles at top. Click the slider to more tiles.

This is on my desktop win8 pro. If you don't have this setting option then its a desktop setting that can be changed

Screenshot25.png

Not an option :(

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I guess its an option still in the OS but locked out to users with lower resolutions...but I guess a bug sometimes that still changes the amount.

Interesting...btw, did anyone else have a Windows RT update today? I did but have no idea what the update was for.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
No, the "Show More Tiles" option is based on the resolution and size of the display.

What is odd is that my 1080p does not have the more tiles option, but when I use my 1440 screen I get that option. Actually on my 1080p I get 6 tiles vertical and on my 1440 I get 7 tiles. So definitely resolution based. 7 must be the maximum though because when I set my 1080p to portrait I can still only get 7 vertical tiles.

Eric Hon

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

Last week, I discovered how to get four rows of tiles on a Surface. Unfortunately it is only temporary, but it is interesting nonetheless. I do wish there was a way to permanently set four rows as the default.

Here's a link to my post: How to get four rows of tiles on your Surface RT ? JG's Tech Thoughts

Thanks,
Joshua
@sonofnun

I also was able to replicate the 4 row tiles as you described. it goes back to 3 row tiles after the tablet is in sleep or lock mode.

dev_sec

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Permanent resolution:

.reg begin -->

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling]
"MonitorSize"="15.4"

<-- end

Reboot after adding the reg value.

One more thing - after doing this, flip to portrait mode, swipe Settings -> Tiles -> "Show more tiles" to enable a total of 9 rows in portrait.

Note that this only affects the modern ui; and, only scales to the minimum permittable font scaling for the actual resolution.

Last edited:

dev_sec

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Nope - this only affects the modern ui; and, only scales to the minimum permittable font scaling for the actual resolution.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for that registry hack, but I gave it a try and as it turns out, it makes the onscreen keyboard tiny, so I can't use it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers