Surface Pro 7 deal! Save big at Amazon right now

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your purchase?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Couldn't Be Happier!

115 90.55%
  • Undecided

8 6.30%
  • Will be returning it...

4 3.15%
11-07-2012 02:11 PM
78 1234
tools
    Haha this is sooo true, I've been using surface for everything, doing things on it is just so easy. My absolute best decision to preorder this bad boy, and **** I get a lot of ooo is that that microsoft tablet on tv. Microsoft has a cool factor, which I admit is pretty awesome.
    I can do 90% of what I usually do on my laptop with Surface, and get 3x the battery life. If VMware vcenter and Putty supported RT I don't think I'd touch my laptop haha.

does anyone feel that they have neglected their smartphone too much because of their new surface tablet? I felt sorry for my phone last night. I think it got mad at me because it didn't wake me up (alarm) like usual. Odd lol.
    Oh yes, my battery ends up being around 50% instead 30% since I got Surface :lol:
    11-01-2012 10:39 AM
    Surprised Paul Thurrott did not like Win RT on the Surface at all...

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...acement-144692
    Wow to review it on what is his own misconception of what it was going to be is harsh. I think most people knew what it was all along a Companion Tablet and not a replacement that’s more what the pro is. I always saw the RT as more IPad then PC. Where the Pro is more PC but in a Tablet form.

I am not sure why the hate for what it isn't and should be and not much about what it is and doing right. I would say more right than wrong in the first release of a new tablet and OS.

CoopII
    11-01-2012 10:54 AM

This Paul Thurrott we're talking about here. As much as I like him, sometimes his logic escapes me. That's why I only rely on him for news, not reviews.
    karmamule likes this.
    11-01-2012 11:15 AM
    This Paul Thurrott we're talking about here. As much as I like him, sometimes his logic escapes me. That's why I only rely on him for news, not reviews.
    And most reviewers go for that shock factor to get blog hits. The negative reviews really seem to draw attention, and the more negative the better. They get spread around more than a virus during cold and flu season.
    11-01-2012 11:36 AM
    And most reviewers go for that shock factor to get blog hits. The negative reviews really seem to draw attention, and the more negative the better. They get spread around more than a virus during cold and flu season.
    Very true, but with Thurrott it seems like he goes with the majority's opinion (the last Windows Weekly he was so impressed with Surface too). There are still a lot of people who dislike even the idea of an ARM based Windows, and I think he catered to them.
    11-01-2012 12:03 PM
    I absolutely love mine. I put a lot of thought and research into exactly what I wanted before I purchased it though, so I knew what to expect and it has done exactly what I was looking for it to do for me. Overall, I couldn't be happier with it.
    11-01-2012 12:16 PM
    I'm very happy with my Surface overall. Yes, there are some things that I wish that it had (like a retina display and more apps), but those things are minor compared to all of the amazing thing that I can do with the Surface.

I've been using mine at work a lot and at least for my job is it more or less a replacement for my laptop for day to day activities. I wouldn't have guessed it beforehand, but just things like the ability to add a USB mouse make a huge difference in just how useful this device is to me.

Is the Surface a perfect device? Definitely not, but it is amazing and I think as more applications roll out and Microsoft issues updates for Windows RT it's only going to get better. I definitely wouldn't trade it for any other tablet.

Matt
    11-01-2012 12:39 PM
    I am very pleased that this is the first post I am writing from my new Surface RT. I took a boat and rented a car to go get one because I simply couldn't wait.

Here's the thing, when I unboxed it with one of the MS employees, it didn't fire right away. Between that happening and it actually booting he told me that he's seen maybe one in a thousand come out of the box and not work. Later that night,(I had to stay on the mainland as I missed the boat home)I found that I was getting this weird and annoying feedback noise when I used the slider to forward or reverse movies on Xbox. There were a few other little things that seemed off about it. Other than these things, I love it. What can I say? It is simply a stunning piece of technology and money well spent.

Here's the other thing. The MS employee said when it didn't boot that we should just get another one. Cool, right? I actually said no, if it keeps acting up I'll stop by nest week on my way out of town and get a fresh one. He said, 'no problem'.
    As s business owner myself, I am all about the experience consumers have. Now, while my Surface may not be running perfectly, that was one great experience.
    Me so happy, me want to cry. (Bonus point for the reference of that last line)

Thanks

-Doc
    11-01-2012 12:55 PM
    I am very pleased with the device. As another member said, the Surface RT makes the Nexus 7 look like a toy. Greater app support will further the distinction. My laptop has not been used since Oct 26th and that's saying a lot! I think I'm now in the market for a desktop all in one for the times I must have a full work PC that will run CAD applications that my laptop was/is currently used for.

My only quibble was no flash out of the box, which has been addressed by "whitelisting" specific web pages and now works.

Second quibble, is the stand could provide a little more lean. I think it's just a tad upright.
    11-01-2012 01:44 PM
    <delete> Double Post
    Last edited by mcgrathpatj; 11-01-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    11-01-2012 01:47 PM
    After getting flash to work on all of my sites by editting my iecompat file, I don't see myself using my laptop again...

\My only quibble was no flash out of the box, which has been addressed by "whitelisting" specific web pages and now works.
    It does have Flash out of the box. It just blocks non trusted sites.
    11-01-2012 01:49 PM
    Yes, this is correct. But, I feel this was a miss on MS part. Let me decide what is safe and not.
    11-01-2012 02:13 PM
    I'm getting the pro, but I wish there was a better camera and NFC.
    11-01-2012 02:14 PM
    I hear people with the Video app, it needs to be more robust but on the whole I love the device, the keyboard is great to use and mostly the interface is really snappy when not I think it's more down to the apps than RT.
    Couple of things for the next Arm version; proper pen support as I miss being able to jot down ideas and draw things out and more functionality in Office (I have one spreadsheet that uses a macro).
    11-01-2012 03:01 PM
    I love love love mine. Wish the XBox Music would work better (get lots of errors), but it's still a baby, I expected such things.
    11-01-2012 03:12 PM

Sounds like he was expecting a computer replacement for HIS needs. I see my Surface as my mobile computer replacement. Meaning my internet/email/music/video/news device.

I don't want to install desktop apps if i'm using touch mostly...thats what i'm avoiding. I am hating when reviewers are taking this view point.

No must have apps? what does that even mean? I "Must have" netflix...and i have it.
    11-01-2012 04:47 PM
    As soon as we can get .mkv support, youtube app, dropbox app its going to rock. More so on more video formats.
    kashk5 likes this.
    11-01-2012 05:52 PM
    I love mine. And it's just going to keep getting better as the apps (undoubtedly) come.

I was out with friends last night, and the first thing my friend said when she saw the surface was "it's beautiful"
    Last edited by loribinca; 11-02-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    11-02-2012 11:37 AM
    Is the surface worth purchasing just for web browsing, email, movies and some gaming? That's pretty much all I use my HP Touchpad for and other than some websites not loading, my TP does the job. $599 to me is a lot of money for a "toy" that isn't going to do anything else my TP won't do.
    Last edited by wbdillworth; 11-02-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    palandri likes this.
    11-02-2012 12:28 PM
    Is the surface worth purchasing just for web browsing, email and some gaming? That's pretty much all I use my HP Touchpad for and other than some websites not loading, my TP does the job. $599 to me is a lot of money for a "toy" that isn't going to do anything else my TP won't do.
    Then don't buy it?
    11-02-2012 12:29 PM
    Then don't buy it?
    That doesn't help. Has anyone else bought the Surface to replace a decent working tablet? Is there something I'm missing about the Surface? I "want" one, just don't know that I "need" one. What does the Surface do for you, that couldn't be done on another tablet?
    palandri likes this.
    11-02-2012 01:57 PM
    That doesn't help. Has anyone else bought the Surface to replace a decent working tablet? Is there something I'm missing about the Surface? I "want" one, just don't know that I "need" one. What does the Surface do for you, that couldn't be done on another tablet?
    If you use MS Office a lot, Surface is VERY useful for that. The OneNote metro app is pretty solid as well. I'm using it at work as a companion to my workstation, mainly use Office for notes and stuff, plus we use Google docs a lot and IE has been pretty good for that. not to mention browsing is nice and easy, and the portability of Surface allows me to just carry Surface and not my notebook.
    11B1P likes this.
    11-02-2012 02:34 PM
    I really like the surface, but for the price it feels too limited. I am on the brink of returning it as well. Now, I'm not saying too limited compared to the iPad, or even android. What I mean is too limited compared to the Lenovo touchpad 2 and acerw510. For a similar price as the touchpad I can get full windows. I was doing a side by side with the surface and the ativ tablet from Samsung which is running clover trail. The performance is comparable on both and in some cases like task switching even smoother on clover trail. So I dunno what to do. Now I will say this, the hardware on the surface is unbelievably solid. Something I don't trust Samsung or Acer to accomplish. I might enjoy Lenovo though, they make solid hardware, but their offering is a bit pricier.

Is anyone else considering a clover trail tablet over the surface?
    11-02-2012 02:56 PM
    I really like the surface, but for the price it feels too limited. I am on the brink of returning it as well. Now, I'm not saying too limited compared to the iPad, or even android. What I mean is too limited compared to the Lenovo touchpad 2 and acerw510. For a similar price as the touchpad I can get full windows. I was doing a side by side with the surface and the ativ tablet from Samsung which is running clover trail. The performance is comparable on both and in some cases like task switching even smoother on clover trail. So I dunno what to do. Now I will say this, the hardware on the surface is unbelievably solid. Something I don't trust Samsung or Acer to accomplish. I might enjoy Lenovo though, they make solid hardware, but their offering is a bit pricier.

See I feel like you. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like this. Some folks are either jaded or don't use the tablet like other people do. I too am considering a different tablet that is cheaper in price and probably as good. Not saying the surface is horrible, but there are some areas I feel they skimped on with the price being so premium.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    11-02-2012 03:01 PM
    I would definitely consider if anything would make as solid design as Microsoft.. In just about all possible meanings of the word.. I really want that exact implementation of the cover/keyboard instead of a keyboard dock such as all the examples you offered.
    11-02-2012 03:02 PM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD