Accessing surface from another machine

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been able to access the Surface from their Windows machine? On mine it shows up under network but when you try and access it it tells you that it can't access the device and if you run the troubleshoothing wizard it tells me that everything is configured properly.

From the surface I can browse all the network shares that are on my machine so I open files and even copy them.

So I thought maybe I should create a share that I can use to dump files on to the Surface with. But if I create a folder on C and select properties there is no option to set up network sharing.

Any ideas?

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
That is a shame as it incredibly fiddly trying to select multiple files without the keyboard unless there is a gesture that I haven't yet sussed.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I have no issues accessing my c$ share from the Surface, but it's like the Surface doesn't let the outside in. I tried changing permissions and sharing settings, but it didn't help. The only thing I didn't try was setting up a homegroup and giving it a password.

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The resolution to this is to set the "server" service to "automatic". The server service controls sharing. Go in to the desktop, explorer, right click my computer and then click manage. Expand services, find the server service and set to automatic or automatic with delayed start. :D

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I have no issues accessing my c$ share from the Surface, but it's like the Surface doesn't let the outside in. I tried changing permissions and sharing settings, but it didn't help. The only thing I didn't try was setting up a homegroup and giving it a password.

They do not want people connecting in. For security.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99