Windows rt updates

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Will we be seeing small updates soon?? Id like to see some performance improvements, specifically for ie10. Lots of freezes and slowness

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
It depends. If there is a glaring issue then we'll see a fix. But I'm guessing they will follow the normal update cycle.

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I wish they would release performance enhancing updates at the same cadence that they release security updates. The performance on my Surface is quite pathetic.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Now I'm not so sure the Windows RT needs an update. I've been thinking about it, and the os itself runs just fine. Very smooth. Now apps like Video, Music, People, etc will need some upgrades.

I see Windows RT being updated as frequent as Windows usually does get updated. (aside from security updates) the individual apps like the ones I mentioned I think will be updated regularly or as needed (monthly I hope)

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
On the whole, I've been pretty pleased with the performance. I haven't run music through it yet, but I have watched movies on an sdhc card as well as Netflix and it's been magic.

Then again, I like to keep my processes at a minimum at any one time.

mattrees

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
the really, really urgent update needed is the ability to send mail from an IMAP e mail account that is not one of the regulars (like gmail, yahoo etc.).

I have an iCloud e mail account which is my primary one (I have been all Apple until getting a Windows Phone a couple of months ago which was my gateway drug and I just got a Surface).

Having set up all my accounts on the Surface I find I can't send mail (receiving is fine) from my iCloud e mail address. I've checked all the details of the account and made sure I got the port numbers right etc.

Having hunted around online it seems this is a 'known' issue for people using other e mail accounts. It's really poor that they would release a product to market with this basic functionality missing. If I want to send an e mail from my main address on my Surface I have to do it using webmail in the browser.

Sort it out Microsoft!

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how often the RT version will receive updates, but Windows 8 Pro has been getting significant updates every few months, as have the ancillary applications like email. MS has stated before that they reengineered the OS and update system to allow much more fine-grained updates, and from what I've seen they've succeeded. Windows 8 Pro received SP1 about a month ago, for example, and is much improved.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
the really, really urgent update needed is the ability to send mail from an IMAP e mail account that is not one of the regulars (like gmail, yahoo etc.).

I have an iCloud e mail account which is my primary one (I have been all Apple until getting a Windows Phone a couple of months ago which was my gateway drug and I just got a Surface).

Having set up all my accounts on the Surface I find I can't send mail (receiving is fine) from my iCloud e mail address. I've checked all the details of the account and made sure I got the port numbers right etc.

Having hunted around online it seems this is a 'known' issue for people using other e mail accounts. It's really poor that they would release a product to market with this basic functionality missing. If I want to send an e mail from my main address on my Surface I have to do it using webmail in the browser.

Sort it out Microsoft!

What are the settings you are using? IMAP is a standard, so if it works with all the other mail providers it should work with Apple. Unless Apple is using something proprietary to them.

You are using imap.mail.me.com? If so, try p99.imap.mail.me.com
Port 993
Make sure SSL is checked. Also make sure you are using your full e-mail address as your username,

mattrees

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
What are the settings you are using? IMAP is a standard, so if it works with all the other mail providers it should work with Apple. Unless Apple is using something proprietary to them.

You are using imap.mail.me.com? If so, try p99.imap.mail.me.com
Port 993
Make sure SSL is checked. Also make sure you are using your full e-mail address as your username,

Thanks for your helps with this. I tried what you suggested but still can't send mail from my iCloud (xxxxx@me.com) address.

These are my settings..

e mail address : xxx@me.com
password : xxxxx
email username : xxx@mac.com (different from my email address which is an alias)
incoming mail server : p99.imap.mail.me.com (changed to this as per your suggestion)
port : 993
server requires SSL : checked
outgoing email server : smtp.me.com
port : 587
server requires SSL : checked
outgoing server requires authentication : checked
use the same username and password to send and receive email : checked

just to be clear - I can receive mail fine but I can't send. there's an error message which appears in the top right of the screen saying xxxx@me.com is unavailable

any other suggestions?

thanks!

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
has there been some update today or over night as I just powered my surface on and got a message that says updating your systems and then then the usual windows please wait while you computer is configured.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
has there been some update today or over night as I just powered my surface on and got a message that says updating your systems and then then the usual windows please wait while you computer is configured.

There was an update for the Flash player in IE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6