Surface Rt Out Of Stock

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if the website stock levels are accurate or not, but I don't believe it is. People purchasing a Surface RT has been very slow compared to competitors, and instead of pretending they are out of stock, they should be pumping out as many as they can while there is still some initial demand.

There is a very good reason why it shows as out of stock, while I wont go into detail I will say that it should be available again within the next 48 hours or so. The statement is not lying though, it is indeed out of stock.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
There is a very good reason why it shows as out of stock, while I wont go into detail I will say that it should be available again within the next 48 hours or so. The statement is not lying though, it is indeed out of stock.

Yes the new batches are about to become available. It does take time to make these things, especially when you don't drive your workers to the brink of suicide like Apple does.

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site

They need to shift the supply from the stores to the online fulfillment center in that case. Going into the stores, they are readily available. My nearest store has had them in stock since release and the number of returns is staggering. While people are still buying, they should do whatever it takes to get it in people's hands. Unless Microsoft wants to have a Lumia 900 situation where they throw millions in advertising and concerts and have about 20 devices per store for a week.

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site

You'll never get an official source but talking to a person I know who works at Microsoft store, says the number of people returning their surface is almost 1/4 of how many have bought. Going into the San Jose store, there's always a line of customers returning their Surface.

Google doc's will suffice for 99.9% of all students. Quick Office or even some of the iWork's app's is an adequate substitute for people being productive on the iPad.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
You'll never get an official source but talking to a person I know who works at Microsoft store, says the number of people returning their surface is almost 1/4 of how many have bought. Going into the San Jose store, there's always a line of customers returning their Surface.

Google doc's will suffice for 99.9% of all students. Quick Office or even some of the iWork's app's is an adequate substitute for people being productive on the iPad.

I find this hard to believe, because I only read a few people here and there returning it. In fact it was quite the opposite at the store I was at (which was packed) and the sales guy said this is our third restocking.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

LOL. So you are basing your "number of returns is staggering" statement from some dude you know that works in one store? Wow, those are some solid facts. So you have a store employee, and a line of customers. Hmm, sounds like a good enough sample size to me.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

I dunno that last statement you made is pretty broad. I just had someone ask me at a Starbucks about formatting his resume on his ipad and I really tried to help him. Anyone who does serious document work appreciates Word, no matter what version it is since the shortcuts and general format is the same. In the Legal field MSWord is pretty invaluable. There was wordperfect but that kind of petered out.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I dunno that last statement you made is pretty broad. I just had someone ask me at a Starbucks about formatting his resume on his ipad and I really tried to help him. Anyone who does serious document work appreciates Word, no matter what version it is since the shortcuts and general format is the same. In the Legal field MSWord is pretty invaluable. There was wordperfect but that kind of petered out.

And it's not just Word. It's comical sometimes the way a Google presentation formats some of my PowerPoint presentations. And the other intangibles like you mentioned; shortcuts for example, just can't be duplicated. Google Docs is useful for quick and dirty work, but for any kind of serious word processing it's really hard to beat Word.

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Picked one up last night at the St. Louis galleria. I was waiting for the Pro, but after spending a good deal of time playing with the display models* my wife mentioned she'd like one, so I got to buy an RT now, and when the Pro comes out, give it to her and I get the pro.

*during which time several people bought one, and I didn't see a single return
In the Legal field MSWord is pretty invaluable. There was wordperfect but that kind of petered out.

There's one guy left at my firm that still uses Wordperfect.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
And it's not just Word. It's comical sometimes the way a Google presentation formats some of my PowerPoint presentations. And the other intangibles like you mentioned; shortcuts for example, just can't be duplicated. Google Docs is useful for quick and dirty work, but for any kind of serious word processing it's really hard to beat Word.

Can you explain which features you use in MS Word that Google Docs don't have?

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Are you seriously suggesting that Google Docs is a replacement for Office? ****, it's not even a good replacement for the Office Web Apps.

Anyway, back to the original topic - shifting them from stores to the fulfillment center wouldn't do anyone any favors and there are very good reasons why they are no longer allowing pre-orders of [temporarily] out of stock models. As for there being a high return-rate, this is the first I've heard of this, could you please provide me with the details of store in question so I can look into this?

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

What @emigrating said above this post. I'm not going to run down a list of features that Word has the GDocs does not. I'm not saying GDocs is a bad tool, but it's simply not a replacement for MS Word. And they are not trying to be a replacement, just an alternative when you need to do some basic editing.

DonMorris

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I am wondering the same thing. I placed an order for the 64GB model in the UK this morning and my order process has not changed all day; Status: In process.

I can wait but would like to have an estimated date at the very least.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I am wondering the same thing. I placed an order for the 64GB model in the UK this morning and my order process has not changed all day; Status: In process.

I can wait but would like to have an estimated date at the very least.

Has your credit card been charged? Normally they won't charge it until it ships. Also, some members here reported that even after their Surface got delivered, their order status still said Processing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss