Fun with my Surface

Thryon

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
My Microsoft Surface RT gathers plenty of amazed stares from everyone, but none more than from myslef. I am constantly amazed at what I can do with this little device that is supposed to be extremely limited.

I had read that you can connect a wired Xbox 360 controller and I confirmed this worked no problem. But I then connected the MS wireless reciever for an Xbox 360 controller, linked the controller with the reciever and was able to use the controller to play games.

I then swapped out the controller and linked my Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel and used this to play games...force feedback and all.

I finally swapped the racing wheel for the Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel and this worked perfectly as well.

I am an avid gamer and travel quite often. I used to pack my Xbox 360 for there trips (airport security always loved me :p ). Now I can simply bring my Surface, connect it to a TV via the video out port and connect a wireless receiver/controller and game away.

Tonight I will test the Surface with my Wacom Intuos3 tablet and update this thread with the results.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
My Microsoft Surface RT gathers plenty of amazed stares from everyone, but none more than from myslef. I am constantly amazed at what I can do with this little device that is supposed to be extremely limited.

I had read that you can connect a wired Xbox 360 controller and I confirmed this worked no problem. But I then connected the MS wireless reciever for an Xbox 360 controller, linked the controller with the reciever and was able to use the controller to play games.

I then swapped out the controller and linked my Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel and used this to play games...force feedback and all.

I finally swapped the racing wheel for the Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel and this worked perfectly as well.

I am an avid gamer and travel quite often. I used to pack my Xbox 360 for there trips (airport security always loved me :p ). Now I can simply bring my Surface, connect it to a TV via the video out port and connect a wireless receiver/controller and game away.

Tonight I will test the Surface with my Wacom Intuos3 tablet and update this thread with the results.

What is a wireless receiver?

Thryon

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
What is a wireless receiver?

The Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows is the official title. It is a small device that connects via USB and allows you to sync up an wireless Xbox 360 controller to your Windows based computer.

Cool that MS added support for in in Windows 8 RT.

Side note that the reciever shows in in Device Manager, but any controllers synced do not (but still do work).

Thryon

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I had no idea that they had native support for the wireless 360 controller. That's amazing! Now all we need is some killer games...

To be specific. There is no way to sync your wireless Xbox 360 controller with the Surface RT without the use of an Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows.

...and yes we need some kick-*** games.

Thryon

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The Surface accepted my Intuos3 tablet. Only problem is that there is currently no art software to take advantage of the tablet. Still impressive that works.

What to test next?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You have to report back what they say and think!

Most definitely will - the guy sitting next to me is using his ipad all day as an mp3 player!! Waste of a device. Just for reference what games were you using that required an xbox controller? and what game have you found to be the best on the surface so far?

Thryon

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I used the Xbox 360 controller and wireless wheels to play Hydro Thunder Hurricane and Reckless Racing Ultimate. Both are so much more controllable (and therefore enjoyable) using a physical controller as opposed to the touch screen.

I was hoping that Jetpack Joyride would support the controller, but it did not.

Not sure how you quote in this new forums.....

[UPDATE] After posting this message, the option to REPLY WITH QUOTE appeared. Strange prior to this I only had the REPLY button.

Last edited:

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I love this feature to.. couldn't believe how versatile it is! We need a good high end game to be ported like forza or halo to get some real attention!

Thryon

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I love this feature to.. couldn't believe how versatile it is! We need a good high end game to be ported like forza or halo to get some real attention!

Not sure the Surface can handle it. I ran the SPEED TEST PRO free app on my Surface, my Quad-cored i7 laptop and my i3 Dual-core kitchen computer. The results are as follows.

Surface:
Disk Test (MB/s): Linear write 28.35 - read 57.28; 512K linear 8.15 - read 27.51; 4K write 2.32 - read 2.17
CPU Test: single-threaded 26.68, multi-threaded 98.24
RAM Test (MB/s) : 54.77
GPU Test (Ops): 21,648.69

i3 dual-core w/4GB RAM:
Disk Test (MB/s): Linear write 71.53 - read 83.17; 512K linear 43.15 - read 27.66; 4K write 0.40 - read 0.41
CPU Test: single-threaded 223.66; multi-threaded 442.29
RAM Test (MB/s) : 1958.40
GPU Test (Ops): 280,933.90

i7 quad-core w/16GB RAM:
Disk Test (MB/s): Linear write 153.29 - read 174.51; 512K linear 150.77 - read 91.15; 4K write 6.59 - read 6.56
CPU Test: single-threaded 224.06; multi-threaded 521.77
RAM Test (MB/s) : 1,318.73
GPU Test (Ops): 2,283,780.73

Easy to tell that the Surface just does not have the computing power (quite weak in the GPU area) needed to have a Forza level game. Having said that, it should still be able to play some decent enough games.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Not sure the Surface can handle it. I ran the SPEED TEST PRO free app on my Surface, my Quad-cored i7 laptop and my i3 Dual-core kitchen computer. The results are as follows.

Surface:
Disk Test (MB/s): Linear write 28.35 - read 57.28; 512K linear 8.15 - read 27.51; 4K write 2.32 - read 2.17
CPU Test: single-threaded 26.68, multi-threaded 98.24
RAM Test (MB/s) : 54.77
GPU Test (Ops): 21,648.69

i3 dual-core w/4GB RAM:
Disk Test (MB/s): Linear write 71.53 - read 83.17; 512K linear 43.15 - read 27.66; 4K write 0.40 - read 0.41
CPU Test: single-threaded 223.66; multi-threaded 442.29
RAM Test (MB/s) : 1958.40
GPU Test (Ops): 280,933.90

i7 quad-core w/16GB RAM:
Disk Test (MB/s): Linear write 153.29 - read 174.51; 512K linear 150.77 - read 91.15; 4K write 6.59 - read 6.56
CPU Test: single-threaded 224.06; multi-threaded 521.77
RAM Test (MB/s) : 1,318.73
GPU Test (Ops): 2,283,780.73

Easy to tell that the Surface just does not have the computing power (quite weak in the GPU area) needed to have a Forza level game. Having said that, it should still be able to play some decent enough games.
Yeah I meant that they could dumb down the game a little bit but still have their name on it.. something like real racing

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You have to report back what they say and think!

So have had my Surface nearly a week and i love it. Didnt bother with a touch or type cover as i couldnt afford it and also have a MS wedge wireless keyboard at home already. I initially thought that using W8 would take a while to get used to but had the gestures, settings and my start screen set up and apps downloading within the first few hours and was pretty impressed with how easy and natural it feels.
The ipad guys at work have been suitably impressed with what the Surface can do and a few of them have even placed orders for their own. The most common comment has been "wow really makes my ipad look like a toy"
The best response came from a guy this morning on the train on the way in to work - had set my phone up as a wifi hotspot and was working away on an excel sheet. I had previously been looking at sky news, my mail and twitter feed. So this guy sits down next to me with his ipad looking at a newspaper feed. An email notification pops up and its a quick swipe to get my mail on a small 1/3.Email needs a response so its a quick extend to 2/3 and respond. A swipe down to close email and my twitter feeds up. Respond to a tweet swipe to 1/3 and carry on my excel sheet.
At this point ipad guy nudges me and says "Wow thats pretty cool, what is it?" I know that hes on about the surface but i respond "oh its just an excel sheet for my budget." "No. The tablet what is it"
5 mintue conversation ensued with a quick demo of what else the surface can do. He was blown away by the kickstand and the way the camera faces forwards and when i pulled my wedge keyboard out of my bag and commented that it can use any usb or standard wireless and bluetooth device he was sold. Had him on his ipad on the microsoft store checking out the prices. As were coming close to the end of the line i put my surface away take my phone off internet sharing. Ive got one of the HTC 8x's so thought that hey ive just been showing off so lets push it a little bit. I scroll down my start screen open up office and pull open my budget sheet. Straight away it pops up with a new version is available box and im now fiddling figures on my phone. The guy looks up sees what im doing and says "You really are a proper geek arent you mate". My response with quite a big smile on my face "Yep"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb