Surface RT owners: Can you reproduce this volume rocker issue?

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm having an intermittent issue with the volume rocker on my Surface RT, and I'd like to see if anybody else has this issue.

What happens is that sometimes when I turn down the volume, after I release the rocker button, the volume level that shows up in the upper left of the screen continues to decease by itself, until it hits zero, and then remains there as though the button was still being held down, until I press the rocker again. The volume does not show up as muted when this happens, but manually set to zero.

I've noticed that this happens with the highest frequency when I hold the volume down button just long enough to decrease the volume by around 20 (e.g., from 100 down to 80). This does not happen all the time or even half the time, I'd say maybe 20 to 30% of the time when I decrease the volume. It is so weird because it is as though the button is "stuck" being held down, but it does not seem to ever physically stick. Every time I release it, it pops back up with a satisfying tactile feeling and audible "click" sound.

Can you guys play around with your volume rocker and see if you can reproduce this behavior? I recommend trying it 10 to 15 times.

The1Weapon

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I can forcibly reproduce it, but it just happened to me about 8 minutes ago for the first time. I was wondering what happened.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes! I've had this happen multiple times! And now I have a delay when I try to adjust the volume with touch. The weird thing is I don't remember it happening before the update, only after.

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Darn. Well now that a bunch of people have noticed this issue and it's not just a freak defect on my unit, l've gone ahead and voted in the poll as well. This is unfortunate to see, as the issue seems fairly widespread and it definitely seems like a hardware problem because some people have it worse than others, versus a software problem that can be patched :(

ezcats

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yup..this does look like a hardware problem...I personally dont have the issue on mine, but my friends surface has it and he just exchanged it in the store. (even after 14 days).

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
two comments
1. sorry for the ridiculous amount of replies I replied to this thread, my comments never showed up so I assumed they never went through, oops!

2. How certain are you guys that this is a hardware issue? I might end up going to the Microsoft store tomorrow to get this taken care of. I'd rather be certain that this is a hardware issue rather than simply software but i'll take it in and see what they say I guess. I'd rather do it tomorrow than wait for black Friday to happen, I doubt i'll get any attention past that. I'm having the issue currently as I type, the volume attribute is on my screen, and whenever I try to make it go away or bring the volume up, it simply decreases back down to zero.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, went to the Microsoft store and exchanged for a red touch cover, also got to keep my old touch cover. So far I have not been able to replicate the issue. I'll try to keep you updated if it keeps happening. I also tried a typecover in store and the volume rocker issue happened almost instantly. The service people there said if I keep having the issue I should come back in and they'll replace the surface for me, so if you have a store near you head there soon. I asked the guy if anyone else was having the issue and he said no, maybe people don't know its an issue or deal with it through the online replacement rather than the store. Either way I had a good experience, hopefully the issue has stopped. It wasn't the most annoying thing in the world but worth getting a free touchcover to fix it amirite?

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty sure the muting issue associated with the touch/type cover is a separate issue. I don't have either one and experience this issue. The sound does not "mute", it literally moves down to zero.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
So, it scrolls down to zero and gets stuck, right? That's what happens to mine. So you have neither the type nor the touch and it still happens to you?

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
So, it scrolls down to zero and gets stuck, right? That's what happens to mine. So you have neither the type nor the touch and it still happens to you?

Correct. I literally see the bar moving down to zero. Once it hits zero, it just sits there, as if the button is being held down. If I touch the volume bar (on the screen, not the rocker) with my finger, and try to move it up, it keeps moving back down to zero by itself. Pressing the volume rocker makes it go away. I have just the tablet, none of the extra accessories.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, maybe it is a hardware issue then. That kinda sucks. I'm gonna wait a bit until they produce more surfaces then get it exchanged if it continues.

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, maybe it is a hardware issue then. That kinda sucks. I'm gonna wait a bit until they produce more surfaces then get it exchanged if it continues.

That is my plan too. I really love the Surface. This is literally my only complaint. Other than a sparse app offering, but that can't be helped right now. All I really want is a dropbox app anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte