Sharing over bluetooth

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a lumia 920, and i was wanting to send some photos over bluetooth to my Surface RT. To my surprise i get a "this device does not support sharing" error on my 920. That seems odd. Am I doing something wrong?

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nope. You're doing nothing wrong... Things you think should work in tandem... Don't. Such as surface and windows phone playing nice with each other. A prime example - I should be able to smart glass a video from my Lumia to my surface

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, MS really screwed the pooch on this one. Windows Phone is sorely missing BT profiles. The ones we took for granted in Windows Mobile are inexplicably missing here. Before anyone goes off on an iPhone rant, my company-supplied 4S and my iPad3 can't even see each other. As I understand it, Android has stopped PAN profiles as of ICS. I'm not too familiar with the goings on over at the Dark Side so maybe someone can chime in.

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Nope. You're doing nothing wrong... Things you think should work in tandem... Don't. Such as surface and windows phone playing nice with each other. A prime example - I should be able to smart glass a video from my Lumia to my surface
Yes! I think the same. I found it so odd there was no way to to control xbox music on my surface from my 920. Also, is it not odd that you cant share photos with xbox either over smartglass? Unless im missing something on that as well.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think this is one reason that Steven Sinofsky is no longer with MS. He didn't play well with other divisions, and MS really needed someone who was going to work well with Windows Phone and XBOX.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, MS really screwed the pooch on this one. Windows Phone is sorely missing BT profiles. The ones we took for granted in Windows Mobile are inexplicably missing here. Before anyone goes off on an iPhone rant, my company-supplied 4S and my iPad3 can't even see each other. As I understand it, Android has stopped PAN profiles as of ICS. I'm not too familiar with the goings on over at the Dark Side so maybe someone can chime in.

With all due respect, if people knew how to use these services correctly, misinformation like this wouldn't get spewed all over this place.

It's very simple:

1) Confirm that your 920 is paired properly and shows up under "Devices" in the control panel. If it is not paired, please do so.
2) Swipe the charm bar and search "bluetooth" under settings and tap "Change Bluetooth Settings",
3) Make sure "Show the bluetooth icon..." is checked,
4) Now that you have the icon in the notification area and both devices are turned on and paired properly, you can now begin sending and receiving files from your brand spankin' new Lumia 920 by right-clicking or long-pressing the bluetooth icon and tapping "Send a File" or "Receive a File".

To the OP, the problem you are having is you're not tapping "Receive a File" on the Surface before trying to send from the 920. You can send a file to the 920 without having to initiate the "receive" but on the Surface, you MUST go into Desktop Mode and then you MUST tap "Receive a File" first under the blutooth notification icon. Is it an ideal process? Absolutely not. Can it be better? Absolutely yes! But that's the way it is so deal with it. Also, remember, Windows Phone 8 now comes with multi-select, so when you're transfering photos, you can multi-select a bunch of photos and send them to the Surface. Enjoy!

If I've helped, please hit the Thanks button. :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
With all due respect, if people knew how to use these services correctly, misinformation like this wouldn't get spewed all over this place.

It's very simple:

1) Confirm that your 920 is paired properly and shows up under "Devices" in the control panel. If it is not paired, please do so.
2) Swipe the charm bar and search "bluetooth" under settings and tap "Change Bluetooth Settings",
4) Now that you have the icon in the notification area and both devices are turned on and paired properly, you can now begin sending and receiving files from your brand spankin' new Lumia 920 by right-clicking or long-pressing the bluetooth icon and tapping "Send a File" or "Receive a File".

To the OP, the problem you are having is you're not tapping "Receive a File" on the Surface before trying to send from the 920. You can send a file to the 920 without having to initiate the "receive" but on the Surface, you MUST go into Desktop Mode and then you MUST tap "Receive a File" first under the blutooth notification icon. Is it an ideal process? Absolutely not. Can it be better? Absolutely yes! But that's the way it is so deal with it. Also, remember, Windows Phone 8 now comes with multi-select, so when you're transfering photos, you can multi-select a bunch of photos and send them to the Surface. Enjoy!

With all due respect, the 920 has a smattering of BT profiles as compared to phones from other platforms. OPP is generally limited to contacts and calendars while OBEX is relegated to file transfers. The Lumia 920 lacks this profile which is probably why the OP is having difficulty. Besides the aforementioned OPP, the 920 only supports HFP, PBA and the usual audio profiles (A2DP & AVRC). There are feature phones that provide more profiles than Windows Phone. I stand by my original post.

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

It's very simple:

Thanks for the info, ill try it when i get home. On a related note, what sent me on this adventure was a YouTube video I saw during the BUILD conference. On this site I saw a video of somebody sharing a photo from the 920 to the Surface. I could have sworn he used Tap-To-Send to transfer the photos....but I cant find the video for the life of me.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Does sound like a pairing problem, seeing as the Surface has no nfc. With the Vivo RT I can send web links from my 920 but it wont accept pictures or music if BT is not turned on which seems to support the theory that BT pairing is needed on the Surfact to transfer files, something the NFC connection on the Vivo takes care of before transferring the files over BT.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
With all due respect, the 920 has a smattering of BT profiles as compared to phones from other platforms. OPP is generally limited to contacts and calendars while OBEX is relegated to file transfers. The Lumia 920 lacks this profile which is probably why the OP is having difficulty. Besides the aforementioned OPP, the 920 only supports HFP, PBA and the usual audio profiles (A2DP & AVRC). There are feature phones that provide more profiles than Windows Phone. I stand by my original post.

I created this video just for you:

https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

Excuse the crappy quality as I took the video with my Dell Venue Pro. Still stand by your original post?

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It's very simple:

That worked! thanks

ctitanic

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I have being using the send and receive files with my old Nexus One and it works fine.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth is not working for me, using my Lumia 920 and Surface RT. I successfully paired the two devices, however, from my Lumia I select the Surface device to connect to (from the Bluetooth menu), it says "connected" for 2-3 seconds and then switches to "not connected". I cannot get it to stay on connected.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

fyefai

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes I am having the exact problem as well. After activating BT on my phone, and confirming the pin is correct on both devices, there shows an installing bar, which semi completes, then goes to 'not connected'. after selecting the surface from my phone, surface's response is that it removes the 'offline' status from the phone for a few seconds, then it returns, then the phone goes from connected to not connected. I have made sure my surface allows devices to see it, and it works when I wire it, but they both have BT to connect to for a reason. Anyone find a solution to this?

sportex

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
my 8x connects for a few seconds then disconnects, so anyway I attempted send a file from my phone to my surface and it worked. Think it must be a bit different from connecting mobiles via Bluetooth. As long as you can see the phone in devices on the surface it should be ok

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You have to tap "Receive file" on the Surface before sending from the phone.

On the Bluetooth notification icon, long press or right-click, tap "receive file" and that puts the tablet in receiving mode. Then from your WP8 device, you can now send the file.

Sorry, but I deleted the video I linked to previously but the above should work.

Safety Cam

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
CRAV4SPD

you seem very knowledgeable, maybe you can help me too. BT pairing between windows 8 pro and samsug ativ s win 8. devices connect then a couple seconds later disconnect. I can re-connect, but every time it just disconnects again.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
CRAV4SPD

you seem very knowledgeable, maybe you can help me too. BT pairing between windows 8 pro and samsug ativ s win 8. devices connect then a couple seconds later disconnect. I can re-connect, but every time it just disconnects again.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

It works like that for all Windows Phone. It will automatically reconnect when you try to send/receive a file.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)