12-02-2012 09:35 PM
51 123
tools
    Preordered mine and got it on launch day and I am absolutely loving mine!! This is my first tablet so I can't really compare it to an iPad or Nexus but I use this thing nonstop! The screen on it is bright but depending on the font, can be illegible sometimes when not zoomed in and in portrait mode. The split on-screen keyboard is what I mostly use. I have the touch cover but I always end up taking it off when browsing my favorite sites as holding the device without the attached touch cover feels great. I mostly use it to browse the internet and as a media device and nothing cpu intensive so I haven't had any lag. The browser loads a little slow even after the update and adding a few tpl's but its fine for me. I've gotten very good responses from friends, family and colleagues. I bought a Lumia 920 and use the internet sharing when I'm not home and that's been a great experience as well. It's awesome to use while sitting on the throne and my wife even threatened to take it away from me! :)

Sent from my Surface RT
    11-27-2012 12:02 AM
    It's so unbelievably buggy. I'm starting to hate mine. I have to press the windows button 3 times for it to go to the start menu or back. It makes a beep each time I press it too. My pictures from my SD aren't loading in the photo's app. Also, sometimes when I type in IE, nothing gets written until I click out of the textbox and back in.

I really loved it at first but this is just becoming a problem. Everything else is great, I love the feel, the screen, Office, and the touch cover.
    11-27-2012 01:38 AM
    It's so unbelievably buggy. I'm starting to hate mine. I have to press the windows button 3 times for it to go to the start menu or back. It makes a beep each time I press it too. My pictures from my SD aren't loading in the photo's app. Also, sometimes when I type in IE, nothing gets written until I click out of the textbox and back in.

I really loved it at first but this is just becoming a problem. Everything else is great, I love the feel, the screen, Office, and the touch cover.

Onviously there's an issue with it. Did you try to do a factory reset? Don't just struggle with it and complain, just return/replace it.
    11-27-2012 01:53 AM
    A month later and I still love mine. I use it daily and my MacBook Air is now up for sale :) I even find myself remotely controlling my desktop PC at home with it.

I do have a few issues:

No SSH client as of yet, I want PuTTY.
    IE10 can't handle hover menus and it is extremely annoying.
    The People Hub sometimes crashes when refreshing.
    Music App needs a lot of work.
    11-27-2012 02:23 AM
    still love it, for on the go computing it simply can't be matched.
    11-27-2012 03:40 AM
    I just returned from a family trip and the Surface was fantastic for work, etc. The main limitation for me continues to be lack of 3g/4g connectivity, but I knew about this when I bought it. I do wish I could find a USB adapter for this.

My other complaint is performance; I still see lag from time to time. On occasion, I've also noticed that something will stop working (sound, alerts) but a reboot always brings it back. I've gotten in the habit of rebooting it every morning. Battery life is still as amazing as ever. The device definitely is a first generation product, but overall I'm quite happy.
    11-27-2012 10:07 AM
    It's dead.

I just wanted to support MSFT, but no way does the Surface replace my iPad. I can't understand how the iPad graphics "not just gaming all of them" are just so more fluid.
    No other tablet seems to able to reproduce the silky smooth animation transitions. Truth the Surface is DOA and going no where fast. Black Friday sales were basically non existent.

MSFT should have just put WP8 on a tablet and called it a day.

Every time I go from my Surface to my iPad its like going from VHS to BluRay. :)
    While I dont believe the Surface is DOA your point of putting WP8 on a tablet is something that I have thought about and I think is the way they should have went for their consumer tablet. It wouldnt add any additional SKU's as we would eliminate Windows RT.

Windows Phone 8
    Windows Tablet 8 (using Windows Phone 8 OS optimized for a tablet)
    Windows 8 Pro: Surface Pro and other enterprise tablets
    Windows 8 Pro: Desktops & Ultrabooks
    11-27-2012 12:25 PM
    This.

I hardly even use my desktop PC any more a month in! I can't imagine life without my surface now.
    Same here. I have two beastly gaming desktops and haven't turned them on. I feel bad for my desktops. lol
    11-27-2012 02:29 PM
    I just returned from a family trip and the Surface was fantastic for work, etc. The main limitation for me continues to be lack of 3g/4g connectivity, but I knew about this when I bought it. I do wish I could find a USB adapter for this.

My other complaint is performance; I still see lag from time to time. On occasion, I've also noticed that something will stop working (sound, alerts) but a reboot always brings it back. I've gotten in the habit of rebooting it every morning. Battery life is still as amazing as ever. The device definitely is a first generation product, but overall I'm quite happy.
    Get freedompop. I use that with my Surface and it works well. 500MB free. Only good if you barely use net on the go. Otherwise I would just use my rooted phone which has 3GB of data that I never burn through.
    11-27-2012 02:32 PM
    It's dead.

I just wanted to support MSFT, but no way does the Surface replace my iPad. I can't understand how the iPad graphics "not just gaming all of them" are just so more fluid.
    No other tablet seems to able to reproduce the silky smooth animation transitions. Truth the Surface is DOA and going no where fast. Black Friday sales were basically non existent.

MSFT should have just put WP8 on a tablet and called it a day.

Every time I go from my Surface to my iPad its like going from VHS to BluRay. :)
    Microsoft needed to get this into retail locations for Black Friday...bizarre decision.
    11B1P likes this.
    11-27-2012 04:07 PM
    I used an iPad and I've owned an Android tablet. This is by far my favorite tablet. Nice screen, nice features. And I know Windows RT it's its own puppy but I am often missing my ability to fire up a legacy game or application.
    11-27-2012 04:19 PM
    I love my surface, but I am a bit frustrated how difficult it is to find good apps. Use it many times every day.
    11-27-2012 04:20 PM
    I used an iPad and I've owned an Android tablet. This is by far my favorite tablet. Nice screen, nice features. And I know Windows RT it's its own puppy but I am often missing my ability to fire up a legacy game or application.
    This. It really is superior to other tablets, IMO. But I'm not an app ***** or anything...so your mileage may vary. Also, I agree that MS hasn't quite gotten the SmartGlass and Music kinks worked out. But it's "versions 1"...so it works as well as you should reasonably expect.
    11-28-2012 08:17 AM
    I am prepared for the whole not many appsproblem. I was an early adopter of the Windows Phone 7 as well so I am readyfor the new landscape. One thing I am curious about is has anyone found a flashwebsite that even adding to the local white list still wouldn't work or playcorrectly? Or is pretty much any flash site working?

CoopII
    11-28-2012 08:33 AM
    Once I can VPN into an IPSEC network, I will be willing to say this tablet is a beast. I also just returned from vacation. It totally replaced my laptop!
    11-28-2012 08:51 AM
    This. It really is superior to other tablets, IMO. But I'm not an app ***** or anything...so your mileage may vary. Also, I agree that MS hasn't quite gotten the SmartGlass and Music kinks worked out. But it's "versions 1"...so it works as well as you should reasonably expect.
    yea; thefirstrow.eu. It's a sports streaming site. Something along the lines of if it isn't basic flash it won't work.

In regards to the surface rt. I love the hardware, but the software is very beta. My laptop died and I got this as a replacement and it's doing the job. The type cover, usb port, and office make it a legitimate laptop replacement. Also, there really isn't anything in the $600 range that interested me. SSD drive is must these days; really quickens things up, and I go to college so good battery life is vital.

I built a cheap desktop last year. No way would I survive with a surface only tho. I use my desktop more than I used to.

The only app I'm really missing right now is Spotify.... And one that can easily enable flash on a website of my choosing.
    11-29-2012 11:37 PM
    I like it a lot! It does get a little laggy though with a lot of applications open in the background, so I find myself constantly killing running applications.
    11-30-2012 09:10 AM
    Tried that and wife said I can wait. Followed by why do you think I got you one anyways then complains about the $50 coupon she has at Microsoft store and there is nothing to buy in the Canadian store and coupon doesn't work in the US one.
    LOL! Sorry, I tried to be helpful!
    11-30-2012 09:51 AM
    In my estimation, most things that fail usually are subject to "infant mortality" - that is, they tend to fail within the first few days. If they don't during that time, they tend to last.
    I was being to be comical, trying to give him a reason to get it out and start using it.
    11-30-2012 09:53 AM
    Black Friday sales were basically non existent.

Gee, I wonder why? Oh yeah, I remember, MS didn't discount the price for BF. Had they offered it on sale for BF, I would've bought one. Since you're not satisified with your Surface, I'll dispose of it for you.
    11-30-2012 09:59 AM
    Gee, I wonder why? Oh yeah, I remember, MS didn't discount the price for BF. Had they offered it on sale for BF, I would've bought one. Since you're not satisified with your Surface, I'll dispose of it for you.
    It also has something to do with the fact that the only place you can buy one is at an MS Store....
    11-30-2012 10:01 AM
    It also has something to do with the fact that the only place you can buy one is at an MS Store....
    And then be lucky enough to to live close enough to a B&M. Online is nice and all, but I'd like to see it hands-on first, even though I got a feeling that will be slim to none.
    11-30-2012 10:10 AM
    I've had the Surface since launch day, and aside from a few annoyances, I'm pretty darn happy. I am currently on my first business trip carrying the Surface in lieu of a laptop, and am noticing that the minor annoyances become more pronounced when you are trying to do serious work on it. I'm confident that these will be fixed over time, but my frustrations are as follows:

-The email app needs more functionality and more control over settings. I would be happy if it were more like the Windows Phone version, where whenever you enter the app, it goes to the last read email, rather than jumping to the top. Pressing and holding should bring up a context menu right over the item, rather than having to go the bottom of the screen. there needs to be an option to NOT "mark as read" as soon as an item is highlighted. Outlook lets you set the delay for any number of seconds. Finally, in a search, it needs to offer the option of search on the server. Again, this option exists on Windows Phone.

-The People app needs to be able to search other fields than just names. I frequently search by Company name. Windows Phone has this functionality.

-Cutting & Pasting behaviors are inconsistent between the Desktop apps and the Metro apps, so it can get confusing. In all cases, there should be a popup context menu when you press and hold.

-There is no decent Twitter app. I've written about this is another thread, but despite several recent updates, none of them have complete functionality. Rowi is the model of a perfect Twitter app on Windows Phone, but is missing most of its functionality in Windows 8.

I guess all these gripes are more about Windows 8 than about the Surface, but you can't separate the experience.
    11-30-2012 07:55 PM
    I had it for about two weeks. It feels like an unfinished product. I had too many issues with the mail client in the beginning. The update fixed most of it. It is a tablet. Why can't I drag an e-mail to a folder? Live mesh is available for windows pro, not available for windows rt. Stock apps are pathetic. Camera app is very buggy. There are very few things you can adjust. Office is really slow. I wish there is a way to adjust the office (menu) fonts. I am old. Keyboard does not come back to live after sleeping for a while. You have to re-attach it for it to work.

I have no complaint for the hardware.
    12-01-2012 01:51 PM
    I had it for about two weeks. It feels like an unfinished product. I had too many issues with the mail client in the beginning. The update fixed most of it. It is a tablet. Why can't I drag an e-mail to a folder? Live mesh is available for windows pro, not available for windows rt. Stock apps are pathetic. Camera app is very buggy. There are very few things you can adjust. Office is really slow. I wish there is a way to adjust the office (menu) fonts. I am old. Keyboard does not come back to live after sleeping for a while. You have to re-attach it for it to work.

I have no complaint for the hardware.
    Sounds like you have a bad unit, especially when I hear the issue of having to reattach the keyboard. I'd swap it out for another one.

What stock apps don't you like? The news app is awesome IMO. The mail client leaves something to be desired right now, but it will get better. All part (and the fun of it for me) of being an early adopter.
    12-01-2012 02:43 PM
51 123