It?s been a month? how is everyone liking the Surface?

wp8nyc

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Still lovin it. It is starting to show a few problems. The keyboard doesn't always work. Have to disconnect and reconnect. Also doesn't always wake when keyboard opened. IE10 is not so great. RT can't handle drop down menus on websites. I hope it will be fixed with update. It has completely replaced my laptop for personal use. WP8 phone sync/transfer app is limited, but gets the job done. The HDMI connection is hit and miss with certain TVs. Haven't had the time to trouble shoot yet. It is a new generation so I expect problems. But overall I haven't found any deal breakers. It will never replace my work laptop, but for play, it covers everything and even excels in some areas. I do wish the screen was a little better resolution. Hopefully next Gen will get a little better.

Got it launch day and love it but I have to agree with a few points stated above. The KB does have issues at times, I hope there are some more browser options soon (Google Chrome would be amazing), and drop down menus on websites simply dont work. It can not replace my desktop for work but for everything else its my go to device.

Other than the need for more apps/games which hopefully will come soon I am very happy I got rid of my iPad and moved to Surface.

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Dude, if it is wrapped up waiting for Christmas, keep in mind you're gonna be 2 months down with your warranty and you haven't even used it yet. If you develop any issues with it, don't you want as much of your warranty available as possible? You really need to get it out and start using it, for the sake of the warranty! :wink:

Tried that and wife said I can wait. Followed by why do you think I got you one anyways then complains about the $50 coupon she has at Microsoft store and there is nothing to buy in the Canadian store and coupon doesn't work in the US one.

alaskanjackson

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I've posted on the subject a few times...Our old laptop and Mac have not been used since we received ours (3 weeks). Our three kids love them so much that we ordered two more for the older kids for Christmas. We had three generations on Skype using my surface yesterday, the quality of the audio and visual was better than Ipad (according to my brother). My mother (75 yr old) didn't have any issues with using Skype. I have had a couple of apps that I had to reinstall, beyond that they have operated s advertised....submitted from the surface RT.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Tried that and wife said I can wait. Followed by why do you think I got you one anyways then complains about the $50 coupon she has at Microsoft store and there is nothing to buy in the Canadian store and coupon doesn't work in the US one.
lol have you taken a look at the yorkdale store?.. checked it out the other day, its really nice. still not a lot to buy but better than the pop up store.

I am really enjoying my Surface and am happy that I grabbed it on day 1. Won't be looking at another tablet... until the Surface 2 comes! :)

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
It's dead.

I just wanted to support MSFT, but no way does the Surface replace my iPad. I can't understand how the iPad graphics "not just gaming all of them" are just so more fluid.
No other tablet seems to able to reproduce the silky smooth animation transitions. Truth the Surface is DOA and going no where fast. Black Friday sales were basically non existent.

MSFT should have just put WP8 on a tablet and called it a day.

Every time I go from my Surface to my iPad its like going from VHS to BluRay. :)

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Preordered mine and got it on launch day and I am absolutely loving mine!! This is my first tablet so I can't really compare it to an iPad or Nexus but I use this thing nonstop! The screen on it is bright but depending on the font, can be illegible sometimes when not zoomed in and in portrait mode. The split on-screen keyboard is what I mostly use. I have the touch cover but I always end up taking it off when browsing my favorite sites as holding the device without the attached touch cover feels great. I mostly use it to browse the internet and as a media device and nothing cpu intensive so I haven't had any lag. The browser loads a little slow even after the update and adding a few tpl's but its fine for me. I've gotten very good responses from friends, family and colleagues. I bought a Lumia 920 and use the internet sharing when I'm not home and that's been a great experience as well. It's awesome to use while sitting on the throne and my wife even threatened to take it away from me! :)

Sent from my Surface RT

kane4fire

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
It's so unbelievably buggy. I'm starting to hate mine. I have to press the windows button 3 times for it to go to the start menu or back. It makes a beep each time I press it too. My pictures from my SD aren't loading in the photo's app. Also, sometimes when I type in IE, nothing gets written until I click out of the textbox and back in.

I really loved it at first but this is just becoming a problem. Everything else is great, I love the feel, the screen, Office, and the touch cover.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
It's so unbelievably buggy. I'm starting to hate mine. I have to press the windows button 3 times for it to go to the start menu or back. It makes a beep each time I press it too. My pictures from my SD aren't loading in the photo's app. Also, sometimes when I type in IE, nothing gets written until I click out of the textbox and back in.

I really loved it at first but this is just becoming a problem. Everything else is great, I love the feel, the screen, Office, and the touch cover.

Onviously there's an issue with it. Did you try to do a factory reset? Don't just struggle with it and complain, just return/replace it.

DonMorris

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
A month later and I still love mine. I use it daily and my MacBook Air is now up for sale :) I even find myself remotely controlling my desktop PC at home with it.

I do have a few issues:

No SSH client as of yet, I want PuTTY.
IE10 can't handle hover menus and it is extremely annoying.
The People Hub sometimes crashes when refreshing.
Music App needs a lot of work.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I just returned from a family trip and the Surface was fantastic for work, etc. The main limitation for me continues to be lack of 3g/4g connectivity, but I knew about this when I bought it. I do wish I could find a USB adapter for this.

My other complaint is performance; I still see lag from time to time. On occasion, I've also noticed that something will stop working (sound, alerts) but a reboot always brings it back. I've gotten in the habit of rebooting it every morning. Battery life is still as amazing as ever. The device definitely is a first generation product, but overall I'm quite happy.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It's dead.

I just wanted to support MSFT, but no way does the Surface replace my iPad. I can't understand how the iPad graphics "not just gaming all of them" are just so more fluid.
No other tablet seems to able to reproduce the silky smooth animation transitions. Truth the Surface is DOA and going no where fast. Black Friday sales were basically non existent.

Every time I go from my Surface to my iPad its like going from VHS to BluRay. :)

While I dont believe the Surface is DOA your point of putting WP8 on a tablet is something that I have thought about and I think is the way they should have went for their consumer tablet. It wouldnt add any additional SKU's as we would eliminate Windows RT.

Windows Phone 8
Windows Tablet 8 (using Windows Phone 8 OS optimized for a tablet)
Windows 8 Pro: Surface Pro and other enterprise tablets
Windows 8 Pro: Desktops & Ultrabooks

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I just returned from a family trip and the Surface was fantastic for work, etc. The main limitation for me continues to be lack of 3g/4g connectivity, but I knew about this when I bought it. I do wish I could find a USB adapter for this.

My other complaint is performance; I still see lag from time to time. On occasion, I've also noticed that something will stop working (sound, alerts) but a reboot always brings it back. I've gotten in the habit of rebooting it every morning. Battery life is still as amazing as ever. The device definitely is a first generation product, but overall I'm quite happy.

Get freedompop. I use that with my Surface and it works well. 500MB free. Only good if you barely use net on the go. Otherwise I would just use my rooted phone which has 3GB of data that I never burn through.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
It's dead.

Microsoft needed to get this into retail locations for Black Friday...bizarre decision.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I used an iPad and I've owned an Android tablet. This is by far my favorite tablet. Nice screen, nice features. And I know Windows RT it's its own puppy but I am often missing my ability to fire up a legacy game or application.

AOski

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I used an iPad and I've owned an Android tablet. This is by far my favorite tablet. Nice screen, nice features. And I know Windows RT it's its own puppy but I am often missing my ability to fire up a legacy game or application.

This. It really is superior to other tablets, IMO. But I'm not an app whore or anything...so your mileage may vary. Also, I agree that MS hasn't quite gotten the SmartGlass and Music kinks worked out. But it's "versions 1"...so it works as well as you should reasonably expect.

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I am prepared for the whole not many appsproblem. I was an early adopter of the Windows Phone 7 as well so I am readyfor the new landscape. One thing I am curious about is has anyone found a flashwebsite that even adding to the local white list still wouldn't work or playcorrectly? Or is pretty much any flash site working?

CoopII

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Once I can VPN into an IPSEC network, I will be willing to say this tablet is a beast. I also just returned from vacation. It totally replaced my laptop!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12