Anyone know of free software to convert MKV files to MP4? To play on the surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

neova333

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
mkv2vob Forums takes just a few seconds to make a mkv file playable, be sure to select "transcode dts" in options. Another option Is HandBrake if you're short on space, this can do a more thorough conversion and convert the audio to stereo or w/e making the file size significantly smaller. Obviously this will take much longer to do.

Edit: mobile.HD in the windows store will play back MKV files, right now it does not support DTS but the developer says it'll come in a future update. It costs $2.45 but you can try before you buy and make sure it works with your files (worked great with all of my mkv's, minus the ones with DTS audio of course).

Last edited:

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Edit: mobile.HD in the windows store will play back MKV files, right now it does not support DTS but the developer says it'll come in a future update. It costs $2.45 but you can try before you buy and make sure it works with your files (worked great with all of my mkv's, minus the ones with DTS audio of course).

That is a good spot I just downloaded the trial version and played a MKV which ran silky smooth, it is a heft download though at 358MB I wonder what makes the app so big.

Edit: It even plays mkv files that are stored on my desktop over the LAN, although I got the message about not being able to play a DTS track even though I am pretty sure the files is a DD one.

tomm1ed

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

[...]
. Another option Is HandBrake if you're short on space, this can do a more thorough conversion and convert the audio to stereo or w/e making the file size significantly smaller. Obviously this will take much longer to do.
[...]
My vote definitively goes to HandBrake. Easy to use and on modern CPU more than fast enough :)

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Second the Handbrake recommendation. That is if you really want to transcode, which in most case you really need to do only with the AC3/DTS audio part as you already have H.264 video in the MKV file.

And if you ever need to do some simple editing, there is Avidemux.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Handbrake. I have not transcoded on my new 2600k system, but on my old e4300 @3.4ghz I was transcoding a 1.5 hour movie in approximately 1.5 hours. I was able to use the queueing list and transcode all the movies on my server in a couple weeks. My CPU was begging for a vacation after that.

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
To play on the surface

While the other suggestions are great - my personal favorite is Handbrake (there's nothing it can't convert, it has a great interface, and it's FREE).

But while Handbrake does conversions for me, I use the mobile.HD app to play my MKV files natively either from my local SD drive or streaming from my home network. Check it out before you spend a ton of time converting files that the right app can play natively. I love mobile.HD.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I gave up on looking for a free converter, so I purchased DVD Catalyst for 9.99. I'm glad I bought this because it can convert files to each specific devices.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I've spent the past few months working with different tools for backing up my blu ray collection, and settled on a combination of MakeMKV to rip the blu rays to the HD and then Handbrake to convert the MKV to M4V. Handbrake is by far the best video encoding tool, as it allows the most options and works very quickly. I probably average 45-60 minutes per encode of full 1080p blu-ray with passthrough audio and/or dolby digital 5.1 encoded audio (using a core i7-3770). If you need any help on creating the right encode profile, PM me and I can try to create a good one to test on my Surface.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Here is a FREE MKV to MP4 converter: MKVToMP4 It works great if the video is already H.264 and the audio is AAC/AC3, it just dumps the contents from the MKV and repacks into MP4 (goes quickly).

If... the audio/video is in another format, it will try to transcode the files to H.264 and AACorAC3, but it takes awhile. If that's the case, I recommend using Handbrake.

mattcald

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Another vote for Handbrake.

I use DVD Fab(the free decode only option) to decode my DVD's, and then handbrake to convert them to MP4. That way the files play on both my Surface RT, and my kids Kindles.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
This might be a dumb question... but why on earth do people even use these stupid formats. Can't they just use avi wmv or mp4 to begin with?

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
This might be a dumb question... but why on earth do people even use these stupid formats. Can't they just use avi wmv or mp4 to begin with?

MKV, MP4, M4V, AVI and WMV are all containers for underlying video and audio formats, with MKV being the most versatile and allowing the most A/V codecs to be held within it.
Comparison of container formats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People like to use MKV because it is open source and can incorporate more standards in the same container

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12