Does Microsoft have the guts to make Surface a success?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
To me Surface is a productivity tool, not a toy like an iPad. When I had my iPad I always had to properly prepare before the customer meeting to make sure I had the right files and so on to do my presentations, take notes, etc. Now even if I forget something, I can still do everything I need to do, as I would with my laptop. I never found myself needing anything extra. Would I like some extra Apps for it, absolutely, but its not a deal breaker for me. Now with my Lumia 920, its a killer combo :)

Yes...with the 920, it is a killer combo. I do find myself using the 920 more than the Surface here lately though...

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
While I don't believe Surface needs a gillion apps to be successful, the Surface does lack some "killer" apps...the "must have" app to get people to come over.

What app? That is just a blanket statement that is open to everyone's perception and need.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Facebook, Twitter, proper eBay and Amazon apps (the current ones are eye candy, functionality is a joke), more banking apps like Chase and Etrade. More game houses like Big Fish and Donut games titles.

Last edited:

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Why do we need a Facebook and Twitter app for the Surface RT? They both are identical to running them in a browser.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
uh no. Is the FB on windows phone identical to running in a browser? No. There are tons of touch optimizations they could make for a tablet app, JUST LIKE iPAD. For a twitter app I'm mainly looking for an app that isn't going to "run out of tokens" or whatever the ****. If MS would make the People app suck less I might relent, but it is a joke atm.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
uh no. Is the FB on windows phone identical to running in a browser? No. There are tons of touch optimizations they could make for a tablet app, JUST LIKE iPAD. For a twitter app I'm mainly looking for an app that isn't going to "run out of tokens" or whatever the ****. If MS would make the People app suck less I might relent, but it is a joke atm.

No, FB on the Surface. Same for Twitter. There's no difference running on the Surface RT or running it in Chrome on my desktop/laptop.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
wth?!?! I don't want to run FB in a browser. FB in a browser is NOT optimized for touch! Neither is twitter! And I'm TIRED of being told "just use a browser" when a proper app is not available. Just go use the Facebook app on iPad and then tell me that FB in a browser is the same.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
wth?!?! I don't want to run FB in a browser. FB in a browser is NOT optimized for touch! Neither is twitter! And I'm TIRED of being told "just use a browser" when a proper app is not available. Just go use the Facebook app on iPad and then tell me that FB in a browser is the same.

While your opinion seems to be the popular one, it is funny that even Facebook took forever to make an iPad app because they said just use the browser. I expect we will see a Facebook app soon just based on the Windows 8 installs (not just RT) as being in the store it will work on all devices.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
that had more to do with Facebook's total lack of any kind of mobile strategy before. Their stockholders are pretty much demanding they get into mobile in a big way, so not having a Windows 8 app would be pretty dumb.

I also find this insinuation that no development should occur until install numbers go up to a certain amount as just utterly ridiculous. As if Windows is just going to "go away" or something. If you aren't development for the future footprint on Windows (metro/modern/whatever) I'm sorry but you are a fool because that IS the way Microsoft is going.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I also find this insinuation that no development should occur until install numbers go up to a certain amount as just utterly ridiculous.
Why? If they believe the market is too small to justify the development and support costs, why should developers waste their time and money on it? They aren't charities and those bills don't pay themselves.

As if Windows is just going to "go away" or something. If you aren't development for the future footprint on Windows (metro/modern/whatever) I'm sorry but you are a fool because that IS the way Microsoft is going
Maybe. That doesn't mean that we should be working on them anytime soon. Microsoft has been known to change their mind before. If developers followed Microsoft's every whim they'd never get anything useful done. If Microsoft does stick with WinRT then within a few years (sometime around the release of WinRT 3.0) it should be sufficiently mature to start doing serious work with it. Meanwhile I'll keep an eye on WinRT's progress, and if it starts looking significantly improved I'll reevaluate my stance.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
No, FB on the Surface. Same for Twitter. There's no difference running on the Surface RT or running it in Chrome on my desktop/laptop.

I don't mind FB too much in the browser. I'd like an app with a better UI though. Having an app would also allow it to integrate with Windows 8's Share and Search functions in the Charms bar.

As for Twitter... the browser client is pretty sparse. You can't even edit a retweet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos