is there a hack for?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Why would you want to on an RT device? Apart from preinstalled Office you cant install any x86 programs so what use is hacking the old start menu back in?

In any case, you cant. The hacks that exist only work on x86 Windows devices. Maybe better off with one of those.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Why would you want to on an RT device? Apart from preinstalled Office you cant install any x86 programs so what use is hacking the old start menu back in?

In any case, you cant. The hacks that exist only work on x86 Windows devices. Maybe better off with one of those.

You don't even know why or what the OP wants a Start menu for and you suggest he give up RT all together?

Anywho...

I'm in desktop mode a lot on Win RT. There are only certain things you can do in desktop mode. And I use IE a lot on desktop. Having to jump back and forth from the Modern UI and Desktop is such a pain. After upgrading to Windows 8 on my laptops and PC's, the first thing I installed was Start8. It's a Start menu for Windows 8 and it's awesome.

In fact, the lack of a Start menu on Windows 8 has opened up a whole new slew of applications to replace the Start menu. Some are way better then the original Start menu ever thought of being.

So we may "start" (pun intended) to see Start menu apps for RT.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You don't even know why or what the OP wants a Start menu for and you suggest he give up RT all together?

There are only certain things you can do in desktop mode.

Thats my point, on RT the only apps available are Office, some builtin Windows programs and thats it. So without using the start screen and Modern apps an RT device is very limited in what it can do, which is why I question the desire to remove the start screen and why an x86 device is a better fit.

And I doubt there will be any apps to restore the start menu, they all have to go through the store and i'd bet they would never get approved and they have to be installed as legacy applications so even more unlikely it would happen.

Digital Savior

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I don't know why we need the start menu. I've been a Windows user my entire life and I don't miss the start menu at all. I really don't see any functionality lost without it. Everything can still be accessed in the same way in my experience.

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry theheefman but you are ill-informed. Do you actually have an RT?

Press windows+x and you may discover why he may want the start menu.

Jubei700

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I can't see a need for a Start Menu in Windows RT, however there is one thing I think is a shame. In Windows 8, using a mouse or trackpad (and this does work in RT) if you right click on the Start thumbnail that pops up in the bottom left on the desktop, you get a context menu that gives you links to loads of useful stuff like cmd, Run, Control Panel, System Properties and loads of other stuff. There doesn't seem to be a way to access this using touch though. Hold down and release in the corner doesn't work because you cant get the thumbnail up in the first place - I think. So you have to go through All Apps from the Start Screen to get to these utilities.

It would be nice if it were possible to access this context menu somehow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion