12-07-2012 02:50 PM
31 12
tools
    OK - I think I am doing something wrong here - My home network will allow me to connect to desktop version of remote desktop - i simply type in the ip address in the remote desktop window, with username, and it works - really good btw - really happy with this.

What do i type in the metro version to make it work - if i put the ip address, it fails to connect. it asks for a web address, or email address?

Also - to connect outside of my home network, i opened the port forwarding, and I know the connection is there - I look up my public ip address, type that into the remote desktop window, with username, and it fails to connect. Not sure what im doing wrong here - and advice would be appreciated. Do i need to enter something other than the public ip...?

THANK YOU!!
    12-07-2012 11:06 AM
    OK - I think I am doing something wrong here - My home network will allow me to connect to desktop version of remote desktop - i simply type in the ip address in the remote desktop window, with username, and it works - really good btw - really happy with this.

What do i type in the metro version to make it work - if i put the ip address, it fails to connect. it asks for a web address, or email address?

Also - to connect outside of my home network, i opened the port forwarding, and I know the connection is there - I look up my public ip address, type that into the remote desktop window, with username, and it fails to connect. Not sure what im doing wrong here - and advice would be appreciated. Do i need to enter something other than the public ip...?

THANK YOU!!
    Just to clarify on what you are trying to ask.
    - How many devices are involved in the question? I guess you have 1 desktop and 1 surface tablet, is there anything else?
    - What works? You said "My home network will allow me to connect to desktop version of remote desktop". Can you specify something like: "I use the Surface's RDC metro app to connect to the desktop."
    - What does not work?
    12-07-2012 01:46 PM
    As well, get the Telnet App to test connectivity outside your network (Some port forwards require the router be rebooted)
    Port is 3389.
    12-07-2012 01:59 PM
    As well, get the Telnet App to test connectivity outside your network (Some port forwards require the router be rebooted)
    Port is 3389.
    Thanks - I figured it out - needed to Port Forward on my Cable Modem as well as my router. That was the missing step - now Remote Desktop, and Remote Apps are working, and my Surface RT tablet is freeking awesome!!!!
    12-07-2012 02:07 PM
    Thanks - I figured it out - needed to Port Forward on my Cable Modem as well as my router. That was the missing step - now Remote Desktop, and Remote Apps are working, and my Surface RT tablet is freeking awesome!!!!
    Congrats!

I put my modem in bridge mode so only my router does the networking lol
    12-07-2012 02:46 PM
    Congrats!

I put my modem in bridge mode so only my router does the networking lol
    well this is something i don't know about. I guess my modem is in bridge mode by default since I have no way of controlling it.
    12-07-2012 02:50 PM
31 12