Remote Access Help

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
In case you wonder how to find out your public IP address. From your home computer, go to whatismyip.com.

OK, I will try tonight to see if it works - I really appreciate all the help that i am getting from this forum!!!! I probably would have returned the thing by now if i wasnt getting support from somewhere.

The only issue i am seeing is - if the ip address is not static (ie, if it can be changed by my ISP), if i am trying to work remotely from outside my network, how do i know the public ip address of my home computer/server from my remote location? Wont this change if not set to static? Is this where DynDNS comes in - it is dynamic, as in it always connects to the computer running the DynDNS plugin?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
OK, I will try tonight to see if it works - I really appreciate all the help that i am getting from this forum!!!! I probably would have returned the thing by now if i wasnt getting support from somewhere.

The only issue i am seeing is - if the ip address is not static (ie, if it can be changed by my ISP), if i am trying to work remotely from outside my network, how do i know the public ip address of my home computer/server from my remote location? Wont this change if not set to static? Is this where DynDNS comes in - it is dynamic, as in it always connects to the computer running the DynDNS plugin?

Yes that's where DynDNS comes in. Your router (if supports) or an installed background program will continuously monitor any change of public IP address and report it to DynDNS website. Unfortunately DynDNS is no longer free. For a free alternative, you can try No-IP? Free - Free Dynamic DNS - DDNS

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes that's where DynDNS comes in. Your router (if supports) or an installed background program will continuously monitor any change of public IP address and report it to DynDNS website. Unfortunately DynDNS is no longer free. For a free alternative, you can try No-IP™ Free - Free Dynamic DNS - DDNS

THANK YOU illidanx!!!!

I did a 14 day free trial with DynDNS, but would definitely prefer to not pay them 20$ for the year if there is a free alternative out there. Do you have experience with No-IP.com - Managed DNS - Free Dynamic DNS - Managed Email - 100% Uptime Guaranteed, are they giving me the same service as DynDNS?.........im not hosting anything other than remote access, i assume this is really all i need - something to track my IP so that i can connect all the time.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
THANK YOU illidanx!!!!

I did a 14 day free trial with DynDNS, but would definitely prefer to not pay them 20$ for the year if there is a free alternative out there. Do you have experience with No-IP.com - Managed DNS - Free Dynamic DNS - Managed Email - 100% Uptime Guaranteed, are they giving me the same service as DynDNS?.........im not hosting anything other than remote access, i assume this is really all i need - something to track my IP so that i can connect all the time.

Well I never used either DynDNS or No-IP.com before, probably because I dont need it. The reason is that my IP address does not change that frequently, maybe only every month or so. I also have teamviewer running on my home computer and remote-controlling your computer though teamviewer does not require an IP address. So, I can either control my computer with teamviewer or at least using teamviewer to go into my computer to find out what its current IP address is, then switch to Remote Desktop connection using that IP address.

dark.davy

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I personally use DynDns and have never had issues. I havent heard bad things about no-ip either though. At the end of the day, its just a connection that gets kept alive and when the ip changes, dyndns/no-ip updates it. Cant really do it wrong lol.

DSL/Fake Fiber changes alot from what I know, Cable/Broadband usually have longer lease life (time before the IP gets re-issued)

If your looking for a new Router, alot of them come with dyndns hook-ins (You get a free account, I think dlink is NAME.dlinkddns.com, etc)

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
OK - I think I am doing something wrong here - My home network will allow me to connect to desktop version of remote desktop - i simply type in the ip address in the remote desktop window, with username, and it works - really good btw - really happy with this.

What do i type in the metro version to make it work - if i put the ip address, it fails to connect. it asks for a web address, or email address?

Also - to connect outside of my home network, i opened the port forwarding, and I know the connection is there - I look up my public ip address, type that into the remote desktop window, with username, and it fails to connect. Not sure what im doing wrong here - and advice would be appreciated. Do i need to enter something other than the public ip...?

THANK YOU!!

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
OK - I think I am doing something wrong here - My home network will allow me to connect to desktop version of remote desktop - i simply type in the ip address in the remote desktop window, with username, and it works - really good btw - really happy with this.

What do i type in the metro version to make it work - if i put the ip address, it fails to connect. it asks for a web address, or email address?

Also - to connect outside of my home network, i opened the port forwarding, and I know the connection is there - I look up my public ip address, type that into the remote desktop window, with username, and it fails to connect. Not sure what im doing wrong here - and advice would be appreciated. Do i need to enter something other than the public ip...?

THANK YOU!!

Just to clarify on what you are trying to ask.
- How many devices are involved in the question? I guess you have 1 desktop and 1 surface tablet, is there anything else?
- What works? You said "My home network will allow me to connect to desktop version of remote desktop". Can you specify something like: "I use the Surface's RDC metro app to connect to the desktop."
- What does not work?

dark.davy

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
As well, get the Telnet App to test connectivity outside your network (Some port forwards require the router be rebooted)
Port is 3389.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
As well, get the Telnet App to test connectivity outside your network (Some port forwards require the router be rebooted)
Port is 3389.

Thanks - I figured it out - needed to Port Forward on my Cable Modem as well as my router. That was the missing step - now Remote Desktop, and Remote Apps are working, and my Surface RT tablet is freeking awesome!!!!

dark.davy

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks - I figured it out - needed to Port Forward on my Cable Modem as well as my router. That was the missing step - now Remote Desktop, and Remote Apps are working, and my Surface RT tablet is freeking awesome!!!!
Congrats!

I put my modem in bridge mode so only my router does the networking lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)