SD vs HD XBox Video

thomasdtran

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I tried to find if a thread was already created but didn't find any. The forum needs an Xbox video section.

I was wondering if anyone bought an SD Video from the store. How is the quality? Is there really a big difference with SD and HD to justify the $6 difference? If SD still looks great I would rather buy that.

Also if I bought an Instant Video from Amazon, would it properly show up in the Video App just as if I bought it from Microsoft? Description, DVD Cover, etc. I just bought Ted and I think it looks cool in the collection.

Thanks

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I've purchased video in both definitions. SD is fine on my little 22 inch tv. On my 47 inch? Its not bad. But you can tell its SD. HD is clearly HD. I usually base which one I buy in the content. If I need to catch up on a television show episode, I'll buy SD. If its a blockbuster movie like The Avengers, then HD

thomasdtran

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I saw The Avengers too, I'll probably buy that. I guess $6 is worth the premium. Do you know if there are any HDMI cables that send sound from the Surface to a TV? My HP Laptop never got the audio to send when it should have. Does the Microsoft adapter work?

thomasdtran

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Another question is if I buy a movie from Amazon/Google, would it show up in the Video App just like the movies bought in the store? Like DVD cover, details. Has anyone tried this? HD seems to cost a little more for Xbox Video.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I saw The Avengers too, I'll probably buy that. I guess $6 is worth the premium. Do you know if there are any HDMI cables that send sound from the Surface to a TV? My HP Laptop never got the audio to send when it should have. Does the Microsoft adapter work?

I had the same issue with my laptop for the longest time. At least I thought it was the laptop. I don't know how much you trouble shot? this but my first issue was that my hdmi cable was wonky so try to swap that. Then go to the "sound" menu (assuming you have 7/8/vista). Here you should see the device listed that is plugged in. Is it? If not then yes you were correct its most likely your laptop. If it is listed try to right click>properties>levels tab, then make sure the little sound icon is unmutes (click it so that it is NOT a circle without the red circle with a cross through it) AND the volume is turned up considerably as well. Finally go back to the sound menu and left click over your device menu and click "set as default" at the bottom of the sound menu. Make sure your tv has its sound settings set up properly to allow external sources, I had to do that with my westinghouse at one point, but usually works without having to do that. If after all of this your HDMI doesn't work, then sorry its most likely broken. Consider an external sound source maybe with an 1/8 inch output?

doadrian

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
@thomasdtran Almost a year after...did you fiind the answer to your question? Im am curious because i have some .mp4 movies ripped from DVD's with metadata (they show nice on itunes - cover, desriprion) but in video app they only have the DVD cover.

thomasdtran

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
@thomasdtran Almost a year after...did you fiind the answer to your question? Im am curious because i have some .mp4 movies ripped from DVD's with metadata (they show nice on itunes - cover, desriprion) but in video app they only have the DVD cover.

I have not been able to figure this out. Microsoft needs to figure this out. There's an app on Windows Phone to add the metadata for Xbox Music, I wished it was the same for videos.

On a side note. I recently purchased a micro HDMI cable that works perfectly with the Surface RT with video and audio for $5.
BIRUGEAR 6FT Gold Plated High-Speed HDMI to Micro-HDMI Cable
(Amazon.com: BIRUGEAR 6FT Gold Plated High-Speed HDMI to Micro-HDMI Cable for Samsung ATIV Tab 3, ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T, ATIV Smart PC 500T, ATIV TAB GT-P8510, Series 9 and Other Android Cell Phone Tablet and more: Computers & Accessories)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)