How long before MS optimizes Surface RT for the Tegra 3?

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
First off, LOVING my new Surface!

Only had it since Friday and have been using it as much as possible over the weekend. Coming from an iPad 2.

I do have a slight concern about battery life at this point. it definitely doesn't seem as good as the iPad 2.

however, I read that MS hasn't yet taken advantage of the power saving 5th core of the Tegra processor.

When or do we even think that this will happen? I don't know an awful lot about the Tegra processor architecture, how does this feature even work?

Discussion welcome.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
it is coming. Connected standby right now uses one of the main power hungrier cores. They just need to hook into the 5th powersaving core for connected standby and battery life should increase in that alone.

It only gets better from here so hang tight.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
it is coming. Connected standby right now uses one of the main power hungrier cores. They just need to hook into the 5th powersaving core for connected standby and battery life should increase in that alone.

It only gets better from here so hang tight.

That sounds good. I'm really hoping MS push the updates with the Surface.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
So, does having a few apps "open" drain battery or does the OS effectively tombstone them when you hit the Start button. They're in the fast app switcher list but are they drawing power?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
if they execute background tasks (like getting messages) then yes they would wake up a main core. The 5th core is to be used for doing things like music playback and whatnot.

Tegra 3 Super Chip Processors | NVIDIA

I'm pretty certain in November Microsoft enabled what Nvidia calls DirectTouch, because the display got a lot more responsive and battery life went up some. I don't have proof of this though other than anecdotal. I think they are already using the PRISM display technology, which is why blacks are so deep and color is rich.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah once they optimize it the surface will dominate. The last update made my surface run as smooth as butter, now just gotta work on battery life.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
if they execute background tasks (like getting messages) then yes they would wake up a main core. The 5th core is to be used for doing things like music playback and whatnot.

Hmm, maybe I'll change my email fetch to less often then, I don't really need it on push I guess, that's what my Phone is for. Might help battery life as we'll.

I just came across something interesting typing this reply using the on screen keyboard vs the touch cover. The autocorrect works far more often and far better using the on screen for some reason, it's as good as on my Windows Phone. The touch keyboard is no where as good, I'm constantly having to correct errors. I wonder why that is?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney