Surface RT price drop possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
people have been whining about the Surface price since day one, yet they don't whine about the iPad price and the Surface without a doubt gives you more capabilities than that thing.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
people have been whining about the Surface price since day one, yet they don't whine about the iPad price and the Surface without a doubt gives you more capabilities than that thing.

It gives you Office and that's about it. The price is too high and other than the fanboys everybody can agree on that. But lamenting over the price won't change anything, so let's move on.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
if that's all you can see then yes the arguement is lost on you and the others.

It's a simple fact. You have no tablet ecosystem and you are competing with a 199$ Nexus 7, a 399$ iPad 2 and Nexus 10 and a 499$ iPad 4 (not to mention the Nooks and Kindle Fires of the world). You have literally 1 argument to convince the people that the Surface is better than an iPad. But people don't use tablets for productivity, they have their laptops for that. Plus, you can RDP from your iPad to your desktop machine and your whole productivity argument becomes moot.

The Surface competes with the iPad as a tablet device. And in this comparison, currently and considering all factors, it is priced too high. But MS probably can't even price it any lower because then they would cut into the sales of their OEM partners. Still, the point stands - the Surface should be 100$ cheaper.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I just think most people don't get a real chance to try them. I met up with a bunch of my friends that have ipads, they were like omg wait what it has usb, microsdxc, omg wait is that a desktop? Microsoft marketing has to get that damn surface out there.

zzdarkwingduck

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
A USB por tthat functions the same as it does on full windows is a huge plus. The keyboard covers as well, yes you can get a keyboard for the ipad but carrying it around isn't as easy. Also you can't think of office as just one things, I don't mean counting word and excel different. I mean the capabilities that office brings to the table. The whole point of apps is that they bring capability to the table. So a higher app number is better cause in theory it means more capable. I see having a fully functional office suite as an argument with as much weight as the ipad has more apps argument. Then add USB port, HDMI out and microsd. Each one of those also increases capabilityies. Being able to dock hook up a monitor, Keboard and mouse turns the surface into a desktop computer. You get the full screen, full keyboard and mouse control. The surface has a wider area of capabilities as a computing device over other tablets.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I see having a fully functional office suite as an argument with as much weight as the ipad has more apps argument.

Never really thought much about this, but I wonder how many of the iOS and Android's many apps are attempts to emulate Microsoft Office functionality that comes with the surface RT for free? You have a great point there.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
It gives you Office and that's about it. The price is too high and other than the fanboys everybody can agree on that. But lamenting over the price won't change anything, so let's move on.

It gives you a lot more than that :) But sure, it would be awesome if it was $300 or so for the 32 gig model. Probably only a $100 a unit loss at that price point.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
It's a simple fact. You have no tablet ecosystem and you are competing with a 199$ Nexus 7, a 399$ iPad 2 and Nexus 10 and a 499$ iPad 4 (not to mention the Nooks and Kindle Fires of the world). You have literally 1 argument to convince the people that the Surface is better than an iPad. But people don't use tablets for productivity, they have their laptops for that. Plus, you can RDP from your iPad to your desktop machine and your whole productivity argument becomes moot.

The Surface competes with the iPad as a tablet device. And in this comparison, currently and considering all factors, it is priced too high. But MS probably can't even price it any lower because then they would cut into the sales of their OEM partners. Still, the point stands - the Surface should be 100$ cheaper.

Thanks for your rational and thoughtful reply in stark contrast to the 1-2 replies that sounded more like madmen foaming are the mouth lol. What you stated here is essentially my point.

See, I'm not disputing the Surface is a good device. But my point is that iPads are insanely popular. Regardless of whether you think they are good or not, that doesn't change that. So pricing an unproven new tablet comparable to a hugely popular one isn't a good idea even if it IS as good or better. Android is also huge right now. Even if you think nexus tablets are terrible, pricing your newcomer higher than them isn't a good idea either.
Understand now? I'm not bashing the surface. You two very angry people can calm down now and take your meds. :rolleyes:

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I was at a Christmas party today and got some Facetime time with a, if not the, program manager for Surface. I made casual mention that I bought one and he thanked me for funding his retirement, LOL. I mentioned that I waited until it was offered at Best Buy so I could use my reward zone points to buy it and asked why they were a little late in the game in offering it through other retail channels; he said that sales have exceeded their forecast and expectations.

I asked if Microsoft was working on other pieces of software for RT and he couldn't say specifically what, but he said some software was in the works.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Does the Surface RT have the ability to print by connecting a printer through the USB port? If so that would also be an advantage over the iPad for productivity.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
ALWAYS check the WinRT compatibility list on Microsoft before buying a printer though. Most functionality is very basic, and a lot of printers don't work at all.

chamba

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've got a networed hp all in one that works perfectly with my Surface. Also, networked computers at work work great and setup is nothing more than clicking add device!

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I see having a fully functional office suite as an argument with as much weight as the ipad has more apps argument. Then add USB port, HDMI out and microsd. Each one of those also increases capabilityies. Being able to dock hook up a monitor, Keboard and mouse turns the surface into a desktop computer. You get the full screen, full keyboard and mouse control. The surface has a wider area of capabilities as a computing device over other tablets.

Does not have the full office suite. Has 4 out of the 7 programs. Outlook is vaguely contained in the email app. Access and Publisher are big components to the FULL suite though. Outlook being the biggest missing component in my mind. So much more powerful than the email app. All the other stuff is also possible with an ipad. BT peripherals and the lighting dock as the monitor port.

Dont get me wrong, its nice to be able to just plug in an external or USB stick and have office documents instead of having to sync to cloud and such. ****, just the fact that you can use the surface as a USB stick compared to an ipad which does not let you save anything but items created ON the device, was enough to sway me. Once you save a document to your ipad you cannot get it off either. You need to go to the cloud.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
If they were planning on price dropping, why wouldn't they have done so on Black Friday or Boxing Day? It seems to me that they are holding out until the next surface RT to price drop the current one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte