Surface RT price drop possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If they were planning on price dropping, why wouldn't they have done so on Black Friday or Boxing Day? It seems to me that they are holding out until the next surface RT to price drop the current one.

A month after launch is not typically a good time to have price drops. But I am not a business expert. Next surface will probably be out around april. That will probably be the first permanent price drop. Till then you may find them on "sale" occasionally.

Again, my opinion.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
they will sell through the Surface RT, as in, that's it they are all gone. Then the next gen will come out at the same price as the existing one. People wanting a quality piece of equipment at cut rate prices are kidding themselves.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Some people really need to take an economics class. Supply and demand only go so far to explain pricing. Just because some people cannot afford a Surface does not mean it is overpriced. The same argument can be made with luxury cars. Some argue that a $150,000 car is not really that much better than a $80,000 car. However, the price stands and the car companies are doing just fine.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Some people really need to take an economics class. Supply and demand only go so far to explain pricing. Just because some people cannot afford a Surface does not mean it is overpriced. The same argument can be made with luxury cars. Some argue that a $150,000 car is not really that much better than a $80,000 car. However, the price stands and the car companies are doing just fine.

You still have to show people that luxury car is worth the price. You don't just show up for the first time ever in the showroom and say "hey look at my specs I'm a luxury car" in a showroom full of established luxury brands that people already know and trust.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Not one of you have mentioned a luxury car that's appeared out of nowhere without being a subsidiary of an already operating car company, that's risen to challenge the likes of Benz or BMW etc.

That's the post I responded to. I'd hardly call not-so-live tiles and "we ran out of time to make a notification center and sorry for the staggered updates. And lackluster nav (or none at all on 8x), random reboots, and vanishing developers. Our bad, sorry!" a luxury appearance, regardless of this miniscule nitpicking of a car analogy.

I'm sure WP8 will come around eventually through sheer dogged persistence if nothing else. I'll take another look at it as a competitive os then. Sticking with a sure bet like ip5 would be the sound course of action as a new buyer at this point in time since that coming around probably won't happen until next upgrade eligibility. You're far more assured of a solid product with assured developer support for the next 2 years with them right now.
By the way, I read back in November that an app purchased on WP8 doesn't also purchase it for an RT tablet and visa versa despite that whole shared kernel idea, is that still the case? If so, that makes MS the only ones who haven't unified app purchases across phone and tablet.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
See, I'm not disputing the Surface is a good device. But my point is that iPads are insanely popular. Regardless of whether you think they are good or not, that doesn't change that. So pricing an unproven new tablet comparable to a hugely popular one isn't a good idea even if it IS as good or better. Android is also huge right now. Even if you think nexus tablets are terrible, pricing your newcomer higher than them isn't a good idea either.
Understand now? I'm not bashing the surface. You two very angry people can calm down now and take your meds. :rolleyes:

When iPads were first available they were an unproven technology that carried a lot of criticism...and despite this they were still carrying a premium price, and were still successful in the long run. Pricing the Surface much lower than the watermark for a premium tablet would have a negative impact on the perception of the quality of the device. Of course it would sell insanely better within the tech community which in relative terms is a small group, but the average consumer would see the price and automatically dismiss it as a non-premium device when debating between it and the iPad.

My argument is this: If the price of the Surface is too high, then the price of the iPad was likewise too high when it began...of course we can argue that but the iPad was still successful, and it is far too soon to jump to any conclusions about the Surface.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Not one of you have mentioned a luxury car that's appeared out of nowhere without being a subsidiary of an already operating car company, that's risen to challenge the likes of Benz or BMW etc.

That's the post I responded to. I'd hardly call not-so-live tiles and "we ran out of time to make a notification center and sorry for the staggered updates. And lackluster nav (or none at all on 8x), random reboots, and vanishing developers. Our bad, sorry!" a luxury appearance, regardless of this miniscule nitpicking of a car analogy.

I'm sure WP8 will come around eventually through sheer dogged persistence if nothing else. I'll take another look at it as a competitive os then. Sticking with a sure bet like ip5 would be the sound course of action as a new buyer at this point in time since that coming around probably won't happen until next upgrade eligibility. You're far more assured of a solid product with assured developer support for the next 2 years with them right now.
By the way, I read back in November that an app purchased on WP8 doesn't also purchase it for an RT tablet and visa versa despite that whole shared kernel idea, is that still the case? If so, that makes MS the only ones who haven't unified app purchases across phone and tablet.

Hey, you were the one who had to devolve to piss poor analogies, then you get pwned and ridicule it and go off topic with WP8 examples? weaksauce dude..

No company has apps that work on both their desktop and mobile OS natively. Your ignorance of such is appalling and as a result your viewpoints matter little.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey, you were the one who had to devolve to piss poor analogies, then you get pwned and ridicule it and go off topic with WP8 examples? weaksauce dude..

No company has apps that work on both their desktop and mobile OS natively. Your ignorance of such is appalling and as a result your viewpoints matter little.

I brought it up yep. I was right though. And who was talking about desktops? Way to make a point over something I never even mentioned. You sure showed me! :rolleyes:
God I love it when people fling insults and wind up totally misunderstanding what was talked about. How embarrassing for you.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
When iPads were first available they were an unproven technology that carried a lot of criticism...and despite this they were still carrying a premium price, and were still successful in the long run. Pricing the Surface much lower than the watermark for a premium tablet would have a negative impact on the perception of the quality of the device. Of course it would sell insanely better within the tech community which in relative terms is a small group, but the average consumer would see the price and automatically dismiss it as a non-premium device when debating between it and the iPad.

My argument is this: If the price of the Surface is too high, then the price of the iPad was likewise too high when it began...of course we can argue that but the iPad was still successful, and it is far too soon to jump to any conclusions about the Surface.

The big hole in this argument is that Apple is a sure thing right now. WP8 and even more so RT are not. If I was to choose between the 2 for my daily drivers for the next couple of years, knowing what I know about everything I listed 2 posts up, and was standing with money in hand in the store, I would be buying the sure bet.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

A very important small detail that you are forgetting - when the iPad came out, there was no tablet market. It was a product that was a first of its kind. They had no (real) competition, they literally created a whole new market. You don't have that luxury today, you have to compete with the iPad and Android tablets. And since you can't compete on the ecosystem front, you HAVE to compete with the price. Google gets that now. Microsoft? Not so much.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I was teaching a few new Surface owner's how to get the most out of the tablet. One of them said exactly what I think MS is going for... she said, "I think I'm going to get a WP8 so that all my devices are the same interface. I'm too old to learn different interfaces for everything." She also wants to get an AIO with Windows 8 at home. I think that's one of the strengths of the new platform. Non tech users would like to have similar interfaces, from tablet to phone to computer. It's an experiment, but one that could win people over in the long run.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I was teaching a few new Surface owner's how to get the most out of the tablet. One of them said exactly what I think MS is going for... she said, "I think I'm going to get a WP8 so that all my devices are the same interface. I'm too old to learn different interfaces for everything." She also wants to get an AIO with Windows 8 at home. I think that's one of the strengths of the new platform. Non tech users would like to have similar interfaces, from tablet to phone to computer. It's an experiment, but one that could win people over in the long run.

Yeah, too bad that the W8 and WP8 interfaces are nothing alike (what with the swiping from the sides, top etc.). This is another design aspect where MS completely dropped the ball.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
A very important small detail that you are forgetting - when the iPad came out, there was no tablet market. It was a product that was a first of its kind. They had no (real) competition, they literally created a whole new market. You don't have that luxury today, you have to compete with the iPad and Android tablets. And since you can't compete on the ecosystem front, you HAVE to compete with the price. Google gets that now. Microsoft? Not so much.

I bought two windows phones last year and I bought my surface RT this year. No one can say that I am a MS hater. I always get the impression that Surface RT is an unfinished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss