USB modem or Mobile Hotspot

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for what would possibly work with Windows RT. I like the device however the lack of WiFi in the areas I frequent has really question the use I can get out of this device. Some have recommended Clearwire for its price, but reviews have said it's not really great and I have received mixed answers on whether a USB modem will work with Windows RT with the USB needing drivers. What is a good solution to this? Also, tethering is not an option as I'm grandfathered in with AT&T unlimited data.

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Clearwire is cheap, but with a cheap price comes a cheap service. As well, it depends on how much data you have. Phones aren't designed to be just hotspots like a USB Modem would be. If I were you I'd just consider the USB modem, or a actual wireless modem.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that, it looks like all USB modems are not compatible. Hopefully this is not the same for mobile Hotspots like Verizon's Jetpack and other Mobile Hotspots by other carriers.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I learned the hard way that USB modems, unfortunately, do not work since no drivers are available for WinRT. But any mifi or hotspot device should work since the Surface is connecting through wifi.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I had same situation. Get on Att website or talk with CSR and check the rates on signing up for limited plan. I know it may sound bad to give up your unlimited data, but it may not be as bad as you think. Check your actual usage. I never used more than 3gb and I had BB with bridge tethering workaround for Playbook. So I was using my data tethered to Playbook. I kept phone and text plan the same except I took my data plan to a 5gb limited plan and bill went up $15-$20 depending on the month. If you add hotspot or any other service worth having, your going to pay more than that. Trust me, I did the research. Att is going to get there money out of you. But do you want to carry around another device? I wanted hot spot and it was worth $20 for me and now I have more data than I will ever use in a month. I really wished they rolled over data.

I have also heard of people adding device and keeping unlimited. I didn't find this out until after and I think it may be a Verizon thing.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I had same situation. Get on Att website or talk with CSR and check the rates on signing up for limited plan. I know it may sound bad to give up your unlimited data, but it may not be as bad as you think. Check your actual usage. I never used more than 3gb and I had BB with bridge tethering workaround for Playbook. So I was using my data tethered to Playbook. I kept phone and text plan the same except I took my data plan to a 5gb limited plan and bill went up $15-$20 depending on the month. If you add hotspot or any other service worth having, your going to pay more than that. Trust me, I did the research. Att is going to get there money out of you. But do you want to carry around another device? I wanted hot spot and it was worth $20 for me and now I have more data than I will ever use in a month. I really wished they rolled over data.

I have also heard of people adding device and keeping unlimited. I didn't find this out until after and I think it may be a Verizon thing.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
What I did was open a new line with AT&T and use it for my mobile hotspot the "Elevate". It only cost me a $1.08 cents to start and I have 14 days to decide to keep it. It's a pretty small device, and even though its a bummer signing up for 2 years at $50 a month for 5gb, at least if all doesn't go well I still have my unlimited plan on my 920. Now I can really enjoy my surface on the go.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
That's $600 a year plus taxes vs $240 with taxes. I would look at your actual data usage now and make certain that you need that much data. $360 x 2yrs is $720 difference total contract term. That may be what you need to meet your data needs. I'm a casual user but I travel a lot. In 3 months since I've switched mine, I haven't used more than 3gb between my phone and tablet. Not trying to pester you, but the unlimited plans aren't really that much benefit unless you really use a lot of data.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I stream a lot of music listening using Beem and use YouTube a lot. Also, I send lots of media using the screenshot feature on my phone and download stuff. I'll look into my actual data usage.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I stream a lot of music listening using Beem and use YouTube a lot. Also, I send lots of media using the screenshot feature on my phone and download stuff. I'll look into my actual data usage.

Ok. Streaming anything is going to eat through a data plan. Sounds like you are better off keeping the unlimited. Do you ever get messages from ATT telling you they are about to throttle your speed back?

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
For as long as I have used Beem (2 years) and as long as I have had unlimited data (7 years), I have never received one message stating that they was about to throttle me back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb