Controlling Surface RT with Windows Phone?

Brendan Dooley

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm a couple weeks away from being able to get a Surface, and I've been wondering if this is possible. Seeing as I plan on using the Surface to watch movies via HDMI, I was wondering if there was any way to control it from the couch using my windows phone. I know Splashtop exists for Windows RT, but of course there is no app for Windows Phone, and the software for Windows RT isn't a server program. Is there any way of getting remote access to a Windows RT device with a Windows Phone?

Thanks

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I know this won't help, but they do have a PC remote controller. I haven't seen anything for RT but I would expect something sooner or later. Hopefully sooner. I came from BB with Bridge to Playbook. It was an awesome setup and worked for almost every situation. It will come.

Brendan Dooley

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I use PC Remote Pro currently for my desktop. I considered taking the extremely convoluted approach of mirroring my desktop onto the Surface with Remote Desktop, and controlling the desktop from the other room. I wouldn't be optimistic about that being too functional though.

Po_MD

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Considering your wording, it seems as though you mean to speak about the Surface Pro. With the Pro, you can use Remote Desktop or whathaveyou, you could even control the pro with the rt. But the rt isn't as fully functional.

Brendan Dooley

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I mean using Remote Desktop to reflect the screen of my main rig onto the Surface RT, while using PC Remote to control my main rig with my Windows Phone, thus controlling what's happening on the Surface RT. Like I said, probably wouldn't work, it's just the only scenario I could think of.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I mean using Remote Desktop to reflect the screen of my main rig onto the Surface RT, while using PC Remote to control my main rig with my Windows Phone, thus controlling what's happening on the Surface RT. Like I said, probably wouldn't work, it's just the only scenario I could think of.

I too want to do this but it doesn't seem possible: all of the remote desktop / pc remote apps require the PC to install programs outside of the Windows 8/RT app store, which RT cannot install. There must be a solution or an app I'm overlooking, though. Anyone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720