loose HDMI out connection-normal?

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks, Got the Surface RT on launch day and have loved it ever since. However, I recently bought a HDMI out connector from a local MS popup store and have been having issues with either the surface it the cable.

It seems that even though the cable is connected securely, the slightest nudge on the tablet induces the disconnect chime and the external display loses connection. A small wiggle and it reconnects, the cycles a disconnect again - a bit of a pain.

has anyone had issues with the hdmi port of the cable itself? I'm hoping maybe there is a software culprit to this that I can remedy myself. Thanks!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks, Got the Surface RT on launch day and have loved it ever since. However, I recently bought a HDMI out connector from a local MS popup store and have been having issues with either the surface it the cable.

It seems that even though the cable is connected securely, the slightest nudge on the tablet induces the disconnect chime and the external display loses connection. A small wiggle and it reconnects, the cycles a disconnect again - a bit of a pain.

has anyone had issues with the hdmi port of the cable itself? I'm hoping maybe there is a software culprit to this that I can remedy myself. Thanks!

I have this exact problem with mine. Not really sure why this happens, doesn't feel lose at all. Had the same problems with my first surface

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
The issue may be the angled port. It prevents some cables from being inserted deep enough to make full contact.

I don't have this issue with the 4' Rocketfish cable I bought off of Amazon, but I have read of other people having this problem.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
The issue may be the angled port. It prevents some cables from being inserted deep enough to make full contact.

I don't have this issue with the 4' Rocketfish cable I bought off of Amazon, but I have read of other people having this problem.

Well I have the official Microsoft HDMI adaptor and it still is loose. So you would think they would compensate... but no.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Unfortunately, yes, this is normal with both official and unofficial connectors.

If it's any consolation (it's probably not), they've fixed it in the Surface Pro, which has a Mini DisplayPort and fits tightly as expected.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I should clarify that I haven't had the issue, but I haven't messed around with it either. I'll try when I have a chance and if it's solid I'll post a link to the cable.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Make sure its inserted all the way. The angle of casing caused mine not to even make connection. Take a file and file down the rubber on front side of cable until plug inserts all the way. If the black rubber is hitting casing first and you see a gap, its not inserted all the way. Official or not, check it.

wormy6

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
@Conanhealth
Thank you for your advice! I recently bought the Brookstone HDMI Pocket Projector and it came with a micro HDMI adapter that is incredibly bulky. When it kept disconnecting right after connecting to my surface, I thought that it was a problem with the adapter, and I planned to drive all the way to my Microsoft store to get the official adapter. After reading your post, I tried filing down the adapter and it works PERFECT now, no disconnects at all and it feels much more sturdy attached to my surface.

Pouya Foudeh

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
When I was buying my surface RT, I noticed the problem. I checked 5 different surfaces and two different original connector and no change. Nevertheless, I did buy it and it is OK. I am just wondering why Microsoft does not fix this simple problem!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo