Surface RT for School

adjectiveDave

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a surface RT as an inbetween device for school.

I have windows 8 pro on my computer with Office 365, and a windows phone 8 (HTC 8X)

The surface (and whichever keyboard I get, which I'll decide after playing with both) needs to be fast enough to do Office work/some internet browsing, and good synching with SkyDrive for my school work with my laptop, and OneNote for all Laptop, tablet and smartphone.

Is this Surface Rt good for that, or should I just wait for Surface RT 2?

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a surface RT as an inbetween device for school.

I have windows 8 pro on my computer with Office 365, and a windows phone 8 (HTC 8X)

The surface (and whichever keyboard I get, which I'll decide after playing with both) needs to be fast enough to do Office work/some internet browsing, and good synching with SkyDrive for my school work with my laptop, and OneNote for all Laptop, tablet and smartphone.

Is this Surface Rt good for that, or should I just wait for Surface RT 2?

The current RT will be fine for that. The RT 2 may actually be smaller according to some rumors, which would take it off my wish list regardless of other specs.

There is always something better right around the corner. If you need it now and it meets your needs, buy it now and use it. Don't spend your life waiting for speculation to materialize.

I have the type cover. I thought in the store the touch cover was OK but my wife didn't like it. The downside to the type cover is it's annoying when you fold it back and use it as a tablet since your fingers are on the keys. You can easily take it off or flip it around and then fold it back. I usually just leave it off unless I'm traveling or using it for email or other laptop functions.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The current RT will be fine for that. The RT 2 may actually be smaller according to some rumors, which would take it off my wish list regardless of other specs.

There is always something better right around the corner. If you need it now and it meets your needs, buy it now and use it. Don't spend your life waiting for speculation to materialize.

I have the type cover. I thought in the store the touch cover was OK but my wife didn't like it. The downside to the type cover is it's annoying when you fold it back and use it as a tablet since your fingers are on the keys. You can easily take it off or flip it around and then fold it back. I usually just leave it off unless I'm traveling or using it for email or other laptop functions.

With the touch cover, you are either going to get used to it and love it, or never get used to it and dread it.

Surface RT is perfect for you! There is no device that does what you need better than the Surface RT, trust me I know, I use mine for those exact reasons!

Blazerblaze

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I got my RT for the same reason and its fulfilling everything I need it to do. Plus I figured out if I don't feel like taking notes in a class I can pop the kickstand and record the professor's lecture and take notes when I'm feeling more motivated.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Just an FYI, the Type Cover is waaaay better than the Touch Cover.

I thought about getting the type cover for the same reason, but ended up getting a touch cover, just to try it out. I'm actually quite happy with it. I mean, I have absolutely no problem with it anymore. Most of the mistakes I make on it, I would make anyways. I feel I've become quite adjusted to it. Then again, from what I understand, YMMV with it. I know some people that have tried it and HATED it, even after the prescribed 5 day working period. I'd say, try them both out and see which is best for you.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I tested in the store and I did like it. But the actual texture and feel of the cover takes a lot more getting used to, IMO. The Type Cover just feels more natural right from the start.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I tested in the store and I did like it. But the actual texture and feel of the cover takes a lot more getting used to, IMO. The Type Cover just feels more natural right from the start.

I think we have now demonstrated one of my favourite things about this tablet: there are already more options for it than most others. No other tablet has more than one officially supported keyboard accessory option. And everyone can get the thing they like to use most. :D

Cheers! It's my bedtime!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12