Am I too stressed out about the non-changeable battery?

techie1961

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have been a computer junky for a long time now and just bought a Surface Pro 128. I love the Surface but the whole thing about the next-to-impossible-to-replace battery has me stressed out a bit. I have owned a few laptops and other electronic products with batteries and they always get weak.

Am I too stressed out about it? I am thinking about taking it back just for this reason.

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Non-replaceable batteries are a fact of life on most modern, high-end devices. Are you really planning on owning the first gen Surface until the battery becomes unusable?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Take a deep breath... Yes, batteries do get weaker over time but they've also improved. Unless you're already bumping up against the battery's limits don't sweat it. Enjoy the new gear while you can. You'll probably be drooling over some new advancement well before the battery goes.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
My MacBook Pro doesn't have it either... It's no big deal tbh. Should probably be able to get 5 years out of the SPro before the battery goes kaput.

dksmidtx

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes (to answer your question). I know of NO gadget junky that has truly kept their battery operated hardware past the practical life of the battery. It is off to eBay heaven to help finance our next addiction...probably a mid-2014 Surface Pro Plus with Haswell, 8gb ram, 256gb SSD, Thunderbolt, and LTE...:shocked:

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes (to answer your question). I know of NO gadget junky that has truly kept their battery operated hardware past the practical life of the battery. It is off to eBay heaven to help finance our next addiction...probably a mid-2014 Surface Pro Plus with Haswell, 8gb ram, 256gb SSD, Thunderbolt, and LTE...:shocked:

droooooollllll

Dewg_Zom

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Like most computers/phones with non-replaceable batteries, the manufacturer usually offers a service fee replacement policy. You bring in the device and they'll replace the battery for you. Not sure about the Surface RT or Pro tablets, but I wouldn't be surprised if MS offered that at some point.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
batteries will have noticeably decreased life in approx. 300 charges, varying by your use habits. The lower the charge gets, the greater the stress on the battery. recharging it as often as possible will extend the life of lithium batteries.

I haven't replaced the battery in my 3 year old laptop... Id rather replace the entire device than blow 80 bucks on a battery alone.

techie1961

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies. I have decided to keep it but am disappointed that it isn't replaceable. I like to be able to sell my stuff after I am bored with it and without the ability to replace the battery, it's value will definitely fall faster.

techie1961

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My MacBook Pro doesn't have it either... It's no big deal tbh. Should probably be able to get 5 years out of the SPro before the battery goes kaput.

At least your MacBook pro has screws that you will likely be able to have someone take it apart for you. The Surface looks like a really tough battery change if not impossible.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies. I have decided to keep it but am disappointed that it isn't replaceable. I like to be able to sell my stuff after I am bored with it and without the ability to replace the battery, it's value will definitely fall faster.

Apple products have immense resale value and none have a user serviceable battery. The iPad 3 might be the least serviceable yet as well.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The way I see it one could always adapt their device to new roles when key elements begin failing, e.g. my laptop became my desk computer once its battery went out. Not sure if the Surface becomes inoperable without its battery, that would suck, but it isn't insurmountable. By that point most of its users will have already switched to next-gen devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon