Microsoft enabling Flash by default in Internet Explorer 10 starting March 12th

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
here is what I've noticed, firmware flashes seem to "flush" out the system, and not in the same way a simple restart does. I wish Microsoft would give us the option to do whatever that is instead of a "refresh" which is a little drastic to me.

Enabling Flash by default is probably the best "feature" Microsoft has given us. I don't agree with them that most flash sites are "ok" now, I visited one random place and it ran like crap -on the desktop no less- I'm glas they have resorted to a blacklist now, but I'd like to be able to add sites to the blacklist from a button in IE.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I'd rather not have random users adding sites to the blacklist. If it doesn't work well for you just don't go back to that site.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
no I mean to my own blacklist, not some global blacklist. typically with a lot of these sites they default to flash first but if you block them they will flip to a better HTML5 video control (this was happening before this update for many sites) Now that flash is on by default these sites display the bloated flash crap first. Youtube is the biggest offender.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
no I mean to my own blacklist, not some global blacklist. typically with a lot of these sites they default to flash first but if you block them they will flip to a better HTML5 video control (this was happening before this update for many sites) Now that flash is on by default these sites display the bloated flash crap first. Youtube is the biggest offender.

Oooooh... so that's why I sometimes see the "you need to install flash" message for a couple seconds and then it disappears.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
well you used to, now it is just going to run flash. I find this to be the less than optimal solution. It should try the HTML5 control first then back off to crappy Flash.

VidJuhEffex

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Weird I have found that some sites with HTML5 capabilities, continue to use HTML5 capabilities, and it used to be I had to launch the desktop browser, AND do the registry fix AND set a browser user agent string. I still have to set the user agent string now to get IE to ignore that it has an HTML5 option. Which sucks because I have to use the desktop browser and because its annoying to open the developers tools each time etc etc.

The reason I am hellbent on using Flash when offered is because... wait for it... FLASH IS BETTER. With html5 99.99% of the time If I advance the playhead past what has buffered its "Game Over Man" I have to refresh the page. And wait for enough to buffer to advance just that far. And scrubbing back to an earlier position, forget about it. Sometimes it will play from where I click but that is literally 1% of the time.

With flash I can click the playhead wherever. And as far as being "a battery killer" the device still lasts me well over a day of regular use. I wish if you swiped up from the bottom in IE a toggle switch showed up with Flash on the left and HTML5 on the right to pass along your preference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre