09-15-2013 07:35 AM
55 123
tools
    The Surface RT is pretty capable as it is. Writing papers for school I hook my Surface to my 23" 1080p monitor and have the pdf pf the book pulled up with the assignment website next to it on the small screen with the 23" screen hosting desktop IE with Word. Works great with an external KB/mouse(wouldn't imagine trying that with the touchpad).

I do want to see some more expansion of APIs though. Just like Windows Phone not allowing serial over bluetooth which gives me no way to use a Metawatch they've made it where modern apps can't talk to USB serial comm ports. Why?! That's the kinda stuff I would LOVE to have because it would open me up to having a possible Arduino/Energia IDE for RT. They should really open up the sandbox a little bit.
    05-13-2013 06:51 PM
    1) You must realize that what you're saying is ridiculous. If you're talking about the general public (ie: non-techies) sure, you have a point. I've been working in this industry for years, and have seen a lot of changes as far as client-side development is concerned. On the server-side, not much has changed: plain-text configuration files, command-line utilities and batch scripting still rule. But hey, it's the future right? No one will need data!

2) Like I'm going to do all my coding on a phone, on a response-less touch keyboard that burns up my screen real-estate. I don't know about you, but I usually have about 30 windows going at the same time. Are you even a developer -- or just another Angry Birds expert?

3) Assuming the keyboard and mouse are replaced by gestures or something equally ridiculous... please suggest a gesture for "strnatcasecmp" (sure .NET function names usually aren't as cryptic, but PHP still dominates the web at 81% Usage Statistics and Market Share of Server-side Programming Languages for Websites, September 2013). Regardless -- what about user-defined class names and methods?

Windows 8, RT and Metro belong on a phone. As much as I despise Apple, at least they kept their platforms separate, and for good reason.
    Last edited by HeyCori; 09-11-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: unnecessary inflammatory comments
    09-10-2013 08:14 PM
    we're talking about a tablet here...when you said phone on point 2 I was like wha?
    09-10-2013 09:56 PM
    I guess if you want to talk about 10 years from now, you could be right. However, I don't think that there is ANY chance of ARM-based devices toppling and replacing x86 hardware entirely. The business world certainly hasn't converted its software for that, and the gaming community can't even control such a thing. I mean, consider that the new console generation is allegedly going to be x86-powered. How would game companies like it if as consoles come towards x86, PCs jump towards ARM?

I don't think you should think in terms of replacing anything. I believe that RT is destined to be the driver computer of over 90% of users. The other 10% would use RT to interface with more powerful software and hardware resident in the CLOUD. If RT can't handle the calculations necessary for high science, financial or theoretical needs, it certainly can handle the interface to the hardware/software that can do the job. Once done, RT certainly has the ability to manipulate the data and make reports required. Don't think 1o years, x86; think seamless interface to getting the job done. Proof is the ability to use Office 365 on the RT. RT is mostly used as a terminal to the O365 resident in the CLOUD.

I'm not a techie by any means. I'm an intermediate PC and WP user but I can envision just such a scenario happening in a lot soon time frame than 10 years.
    09-11-2013 10:17 AM
    I think you're right. The "Metro" interface and getting apps from the Windows Store will be the future. I think there will always be an option to use the desktop, but it will become more and more buried into the OS. Much like the old "Command Prompt Interface". It is actually still there, even in RT... The Desktop Interface will go the same way....

When this happens, RT is the future.... the Pro is just a "stop gap" measure.
    09-15-2013 07:35 AM
55 123