Can Surface RT go faster... with updates?

VidJuhEffex

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
do these settings reintroduce the xbox music bug (in other words what causes the bug, I don't find my RT slow, I find that app slow, and just want to fix that.)

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Here are some steps to disable windows defender
Make your Surface RT faster by disabling Windows Defender! - xda-developers
I couldn't get it to work but thats cause i'm not a genius when it comes to changing things in the registry editor, I haven't managed to find a video and the steps aren't exactly specific but if you disable windows defender you will have a noticeable increase in performance, so i'm told, best of luck.

Is it really smart to disable the antivirus software?

Ridlah

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Well Window RT only runs programs from the app store which are already checked for bugs by microsoft, my only guess is it protects you from harmful files within a usb drive such as photos and music.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Well Window RT only runs programs from the app store which are already checked for bugs by microsoft, my only guess is it protects you from harmful files within a usb drive such as photos and music.

And there aren't any known viruses that are written to run on WinRT.

That's one big advantage of not being able to run legacy Windows programs. Sure, you can't run Photoshop, but you also can't run viruses written for Windows.

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like from Lasse's post there may be some Tegra 3 OS enhancements possible for speed. I really enjoy my RT, aside from a bit too slow, not a lot, just not snappy.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

That's one big advantage of not being able to run legacy Windows programs. Sure, you can't run Photoshop, but you also can't run viruses written for Windows.

But doesn't turning off Defender also invite IE10 spyware?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

you mean you can't run viruses written for x86. And we can run Photoshop Express on WinRT.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
you mean you can't run viruses written for x86. And we can run Photoshop Express on WinRT.

and that means its pretty much every virus

i feel that MS could've touted it's inherent security, like how apple touted theirs because not as many people used it.
well the "express"-part means a lot :D

Bacalaohombre

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Better battery would be awesome. Wouldn't make the system faster though.
it would make it faster because the RT's Tegra 3 is actually underclocked to save the energy that would have been saved with the 5th core. that's why android devices running on a tegra 3 are clocked at 1.6/7GHz instead of the RT's 1.3/4GHz.

Last edited:

Credo93

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the perfect solution to make Windows RT device's faster by following these steps.

Go to the StartScreen and type in "run",
then type "%temp%" and press enter,
delete everything in these folder, if there are item's that you can't delete, leave them,
now you have to open up the control panel,
open up administrative tools and then open disc cleanup,
just press ok,
wait a few second and then when it opens a new window, select everything and press ok again,
now click on delete files and voila, reboot your device and it should be much more fast by now.

Please let me know if this solution has worked or not, i'm very curious because my Surface RT was very slow during time and when i did this my Surface RT was blazing fast just like in the beginning.

Regards!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I am wondering what people's opinion is on whether or not the current Surface RT device will (and can) be updated to improve performance by a good margin. I actually love my Surface RT except for it being a bit slow. It's not that bad, but it's not snappy by any means. MS has been good with firmware updates for this device. Do you think the hardware is able to run if much faster if MS were to optimize it more? I realize this is just opinion stuff, but kinda fun to discuss.

Thanks.
Yes.

Here's a link to a video that I posted of my Surface RT opening MS Office apps vs the Surface 2:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-2/243436-3.htm#post2159202

Here's a link to the tweaks that I applied to my Surface RT to gain those performance improvements:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-2/243436-3.htm#post2158104

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion and the thorough steps. I did this and I cannot necessarily see a difference. It may be faster, but not enough to definitively know. I know the computer is better off though. Thanks.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I do not find my RT slow. You can make it a little faster by disabling MS essentials and turning off Windows Visual Effects.
The simple things, thanks for this, it's instantly noticeable, I don't really need the pretty scrolling/animations and it's made a huge difference!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6