Wonky lines when drawing on Surface RT

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've just got a Surface RT (first one had to go back because of issues with the glass).

In a drawing program such as Sketchbook Express or Freshpaint, if I try to draw a straight line with my finger at say 45 degrees, the line tracks pretty wobbly/wavy. My finger is not really moving off a straight line but you can see the line waving up and down as it draws.

I bought a Wacom Bamboo stylus and it was almost impossible to draw effectively with the thing. The same waviness but worse, so I've sent it back but since it's also doing it with my finger I think it's something to do with the screen. If I draw the line fast it's fairly straight. If I draw it slow, even with my finger against a ruler it's wavy.

My smartphone doesn't seem to have the same issue.

Can anyone experiment and see if it's 'just the way it is'?

Thanks.

PS: My screen glass dips slightly either side of the Windows button, is that normal? (You can see it with the screen off and looking at a shallow angle.)

ngc891

May 9, 2012
Visit site
"PS: My screen glass dips slightly either side of the Windows button, is that normal? (You can see it with the screen off and looking at a shallow angle.)"

Are you saying that your surface screen isn't fully flat? That does sound like an issue to me... My surface screen is perfectly flat.

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the glass isn't completely flat. It's subtle but either side of the windows logo the glass dips (so only at the very bottom of the screen). On the left it actually dips just below the level of the bezel.

I went to look at Surface RTs in PC World and all three on display were the same. All other tablets, even cheap, Samsungs at half the price had flat screens.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has this problem.

It doesn't affect the display in any way, but you can see reflections in the glass distort either side of the windows logo.

timbosteron

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. Horizontal and vertical lines are perfect, diagonal lines are just waves. And it doesn't matter which program I use. OneNote, Sketchbook, MyPaint, every diaginal line is wavy.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Surface RT does not 'do' Ink/pen - it's designed for touch and not ink/pen - the digitizer is not of sufficient resolution.

Andy Luzano

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
hello i'd like to reply to this question as i've found something others might find useful since i've had the same problem on sketchbook pro. i was testing out manga studio trial version and found that i didnt have the squiggle lines. at first i thought it had to do with static electricity from my screen protector but i found that removing the protector didnt help much. later i just noticed while i was drawing in manga studio, it bothered me that even though lines went down quick and accurate, the lines looked very pixelated so i looked into it further and noticed that manga studio had a default canvas setting at 77dpi. i then duplicated that setup in sketchbook on the canvas settings and got much better lines! so i think resolution may be part of the problem. maybe changing the surface pro 3 monitor resolution would give the same results,but who would want to do that? haha. I hope this helps. cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs