10-23-2013 03:36 PM
240 1234 ...
tools
    if you are lucky they will send you a full build ISO you can put in a VM and test like the consumer preview of 8.
    06-25-2013 01:29 PM
    Report: Windows 8.1 Preview ISO files to be released by Microsoft - Neowin

The alleged Microsoft Q&A says that these files are meant to be used in case users want to give their PCs a way to dual boot to the preview version of Windows 8.1 while also keeping their current versions of Windows running on their rig. However, PCs must already be set up as a dual-boot system ahead of time as downloading the Windows 8.1 preview ISO files won't allow users to select another partition on their PC.

The Q&A also states that people who have Windows 8 Pro with Media Center on their PC who decide to download the Windows 8.1 Preview via the ISO method will find that their Media Center features have been removed. They can be put back in if users reinstall the Windows 8 Pro pack or the Windows 8 Media Center product key.
    06-25-2013 01:37 PM
    Yes, I have several certifications with MS so I receive these program tests regularly. In fact the mail called it 8.1 Preview test program, so it might be something different from the public preview, or not. I submitted a report asking if the program was full or if the message was in error. I'm waiting for the reply, they said they would respond within 36 hours.

The public preview will be out tomorrow so you will probably be able to install that before you get a response.
    06-25-2013 01:42 PM
    if you are lucky they will send you a full build ISO you can put in a VM and test like the consumer preview of 8.
    That's exactly what I did with the 8 preview. Ran it in a VM on my Win7 laptop.
    06-25-2013 02:15 PM
    Does anyone here use a VHD on a SD card for the primary storage of My Documents. My Music and My Videos like myself? I have the 10gb free but just thought of how having these folders on a vhd might screw the upgrade. May try it nonetheless.
    06-25-2013 08:36 PM
    Considering this is a tablet only OS, it's sad that it takes 10GB. iOS only takes 2GB.
    06-25-2013 11:28 PM
    Considering this is a tablet only OS, it's sad that it takes 10GB. iOS only takes 2GB.
    considering as the ipad which uses ios cant double as a laptop hybrid like the surface, that's not even an accurate comparison.
    06-26-2013 12:01 AM
    considering as the ipad which uses ios cant double as a laptop hybrid like the surface, that's not even an accurate comparison.
    So keyboard drivers take an additional 8GB?
    06-26-2013 12:35 AM
    no, a real OS takes 8GB.
    06-26-2013 07:57 AM
    no, a real OS takes 8GB.
    Windows RT is not a real OS because it can't run legacy apps.
    06-26-2013 10:17 AM
    that is a horse **** definition. It can run any number of legacy apps that ship with the Surface, including calculator, powershell, and Office. It can connect to a myriad of devices natively without glommed on accessories.

Legacy apps are legacy for a reason, and they need to go away. I hope by Win9 there is no "Desktop" on my Surface.
    06-26-2013 10:25 AM
    By that logic Lion/Mountain Lion are not real OS's because they can't run PowerPC applications.
    06-26-2013 10:26 AM
    Windows RT is not a real OS because it can't run legacy apps.
    Oh yeah, I remember that from my CompSci course at Uni... definition of a real OS: #1: Must run legacy apps. /s

There is no such thing as a "real OS".

The reason Windows RT uses more drive than an iPad is simple - the Windows OS is more capable because it is shared from Server to Phone. RT includes a massive driver database which supports 420 million devices and of course eats up disk space because of this.

The OS could be made much smaller - Windows Phone is an example where the same Windows actually only uses 1.6GB - less than iOS 2GB - when it is on targeted and specific hardware without a massive driver database.
    06-26-2013 10:36 AM
    The preview is now available.

Download Windows 8.1 Preview - Microsoft Windows

having trouble installing though....
    06-26-2013 11:27 AM
    Has anybody installed this on their Surface RT yet? I want to give it a try, but I want to make sure it's doesn't make my tablet unusable as a daily driver.
    06-26-2013 11:37 AM
    watching the BUILD keynote I can see why it is 8GB more, cause it brings 8GB more stuff.
    06-26-2013 12:04 PM
    Wait so if i have 10 gb left and the preview takes up 8 gb, i will only have 2 gb left? uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I have a 32 gb
    06-26-2013 12:14 PM
    Service packs have never added this many things to a version of Windows before. I'm sorry, but that is a completely incorrect statement.

I think you need to do some research to learn more about what changes are coming in Windows 8.1.

There are still unannounced features in Windows 8.1. Microsoft has only publically released certain information about the update. They haven't stated what's included in the entire update yet.

All of the updates in Windows 8.1 are going to enhance Windows RT devices the most. Sure, there are minor improvements for the desktop, but these improvements are dwarfed by the changes made to the metro side of Windows 8.1.
    Actually, while this is a substantial update, to say SP's have never added this much is silly. Most of these changes are cosmetic and/or UI enhancements. That is a lot of stuff but in terms of substantive changes to the OS itself, it isn't in the same league as the initial XP SP's or Vista SP 1.
    06-26-2013 12:27 PM
    Oh yeah, I remember that from my CompSci course at Uni... definition of a real OS: #1: Must run legacy apps. /s

There is no such thing as a "real OS".

The reason Windows RT uses more drive than an iPad is simple - the Windows OS is more capable because it is shared from Server to Phone. RT includes a massive driver database which supports 420 million devices and of course eats up disk space because of this.

The OS could be made much smaller - Windows Phone is an example where the same Windows actually only uses 1.6GB - less than iOS 2GB - when it is on targeted and specific hardware without a massive driver database.
    Windows Phone shares a kernel with Windows 8 but that is all. It is not, however, in any way the same OS.
    06-26-2013 12:31 PM
    Wait so if i have 10 gb left and the preview takes up 8 gb, i will only have 2 gb left? uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I have a 32 gb
    So what exactly is your problem? It is called a preview for a reason. You are not forced to install it. When it goes final it will undoubtedly take no more space after installation and cleanup than the current version.
    06-26-2013 12:34 PM
    Has anyone managed to install this on a Surface RT yet? I can't get past the prerequisite installer.
    06-26-2013 12:41 PM
    So what exactly is your problem? It is called a preview for a reason. You are not forced to install it. When it goes final it will undoubtedly take no more space after installation and cleanup than the current version.
    That is a pretty big problem actually. lets do a preview where you have to remove stuff to make room. Makes sense.
    06-26-2013 12:42 PM

I have a 32 gb
    This is incorrect. You need 10GB free for the installation, but by no means does it take up the full amount of space.

I just finished installing the 8.1 Preview on my 32GB Surface RT. Before the installation, I had a little over 12GB free. After the install, I had 14.4GB free. I just checked Disk Cleanup and there's an additional 2.5GB that can be cleared up from the installation. So the preview actually frees up an additional 4.5GB.

Also, once the preview has been installed (which takes about an hour), Windows is still doing some stuff in the background, so don't freak out if it seems a little laggy at first.
    ibbyj, dkp23 and coip like this.
    06-26-2013 01:10 PM
    This is incorrect. You need 10GB free for the installation, but by no means does it take up the full amount of space.

I just finished installing the 8.1 Preview on my 32GB Surface RT. Before the installation, I had a little over 12GB free. After the install, I had 14.4GB free. I just checked Disk Cleanup and there's an additional 2.5GB that can be cleared up from the installation. So the preview actually frees up an additional 4.5GB.

Also, once the preview has been installed (which takes about an hour), Windows is still doing some stuff in the background, so don't freak out if it seems a little laggy at first.

Thank you!!
    06-26-2013 01:14 PM
    I just wanted to confirm, after running Disk Cleanup, I now have a total of 16GB free. When I started the preview update, I had a little over 12GB free. This means that the 8.1 Preview takes up LESS space than 8.0 does, to the tune of 4-5GB less.
    06-26-2013 01:30 PM
240 1234 ...