10-23-2013 03:36 PM
240 12345 ...
tools
    I'm curious if I'm doing something wrong. I've checked for updates through the store and Windows Update in settings and don't see anything.
    06-26-2013 01:32 PM
    I just wanted to confirm, after running Disk Cleanup, I now have a total of 16GB free. When I started the preview update, I had a little over 12GB free. This means that the 8.1 Preview takes up LESS space than 8.0 does, to the tune of 4-5GB less.
    hopefully what this means is they are gutting out legacy crap that is useless on RT.
    06-26-2013 01:35 PM
    I'm curious if I'm doing something wrong. I've checked for updates through the store and Windows Update in settings and don't see anything.
    To get the Preview, you have to download a small file from Microsoft's site. After you install that, then your computer/tablet will restart, and then you will be prompted to download the update from the Windows Store.
    06-26-2013 01:49 PM
    Thanks. I figured it out after I posted. Everything I was reading made it sound like it just showed up on Windows Update.
    06-26-2013 01:54 PM
    I found the process to be a bit confusing as well. Installing it now though, looking forward to it!
    06-26-2013 01:55 PM
    Has anyone managed to install this on a Surface RT yet? I can't get past the prerequisite installer.
    I had trouble and found solution here:
    Guide: How to fix "This update is not applicable" for Windows 8 Pre - Microsoft Beta - Neowin Forums
    anon(123856) likes this.
    06-26-2013 02:08 PM
    Anybody update their RT that had one of the indexing setups for their SDcard? As we all know by now, music/video files dont show up on the app as if they were in one of the music and video files in the windows explorer folder. So there were a number of work arounds whether it was junctioning, creating vhd and others. I did the vhd one so that my files in my sdcard recognizes through the music/video apps.

Did the preview update require to redo these steps?
    06-26-2013 03:10 PM
    Thanks. I figured it out after I posted. Everything I was reading made it sound like it just showed up on Windows Update.
    more than likely that "small file" is what will get posted to Windows Update eventually and will switch the final version of 8.1 on in the store.
    06-26-2013 03:22 PM
    Anybody update their RT that had one of the indexing setups for their SDcard? As we all know by now, music/video files dont show up on the app as if they were in one of the music and video files in the windows explorer folder. So there were a number of work arounds whether it was junctioning, creating vhd and others. I did the vhd one so that my files in my sdcard recognizes through the music/video apps.

All you have to do is right click on the SD card in My Computer and click add to Music/Video Library. Windows 8.1 makes it a lot easier. Of topic, what what is the update for Windows RT called, Windows RT 8.1?
    jbigelow likes this.
    06-26-2013 03:36 PM
    Does this work for all RT devices?

I am looking forward to installing on my Yoga 11!
    06-26-2013 04:02 PM
    Does this work for all RT devices?

I am looking forward to installing on my Yoga 11!
    There is a compatibility list somewhere, dont think all devices will work.
    06-26-2013 04:07 PM
    Took about two hours to officially download on my surface rt and now it is doing its restart and set up. Its at the getting devices stage now. 35%
    06-26-2013 04:21 PM
    Just a reminder, you have to be on your Surface RT to download the file. It will not work from another browser.
    06-26-2013 04:24 PM

After the upgrade, the SD card was unchanged, but the auto-mount script I added to mount it as a VHD and the Explorer registry change to 'hide' the actual SD card and display only the VHD was undone. But the subsequent poster had it right: Windows 8.1 fixes this in a way that makes the VHD method unnecessary and allows you to index content on an SD card without any hack.

On SD cards, you can now right-click a directory on the card and choose to have it indexed as in the example below:
    screenshot-1-.jpg

You can also add this setting another way or confirm the right-click index setting worked by opening 'Indexing Options' and choose Modify to see (or change) the current indexing settings:

screenshot-2-.jpg

I hope that helps...
    dkp23, Vallos, jbigelow and 1 others like this.
    06-26-2013 05:33 PM
    After the upgrade, the SD card was unchanged, but the auto-mount script I added to mount it as a VHD and the Explorer registry change to 'hide' the actual SD card and display only the VHD was undone. But the subsequent poster had it right: Windows 8.1 fixes this in a way that makes the VHD method unnecessary and allows you to index content on an SD card without any hack.

On SD cards, you can now right-click a directory on the card and choose to have it indexed as in the example below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (1).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	349.8 KB 
ID:	36487

You can also add this setting another way or confirm the right-click index setting worked by opening 'Indexing Options' and choose Modify to see (or change) the current indexing settings:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (2).jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	36488

I hope that helps...
    That is great, makes things easier. I dont have to keep rebuilding when adding new files.
    06-26-2013 05:48 PM
    I tried to update my Surface RT to 8.1, but just as it was finishing up the installation after reboot, the screen just went blank, and was staying that way for at least 10 minutes. I eventually did a hard reset and it restored my Surface to what I had before. Anyone else have this trouble?
    06-26-2013 05:52 PM
    That is great, makes things easier. I dont have to keep rebuilding when adding new files.
    This is huge news....
    06-26-2013 06:10 PM
    I did a factory reset after installing (had some app issues) and had 20.2 GB free on my 32 GB version. Looks like they optimized space consumption :)
    06-26-2013 07:10 PM
    Also available is the ability to change the default save location or things like music, videos, and pictures. Go into PC settings --> PC & devices --> Devices and a the bottom you'll find the option to change it to the SD card.

I'd like to add that app loading is pretty much instantaneous compared to 8.0. I'm really looking forward to the final version of 8.1 as the preview can be a little laggy here or there (right now the keyboard is lagging a bit while I type this).
    06-26-2013 07:13 PM
    The messaging app is gone! Okay, cool I'll use their other 1st party app, Skype. The Facebook features aren't included in Skype for Windows 8! They really need to think this stuff through....
    06-26-2013 07:39 PM
    The messaging app is gone! Okay, cool I'll use their other 1st party app, Skype. The Facebook features aren't included in Skype for Windows 8! They really need to think this stuff through....
    Hmmmm. Preview or not, there does seem to be a lot of issues with it. It won't install for me anyway, but I think I'll hold off for the proper version.
    06-26-2013 08:13 PM
    Great. I may be the first person that Windows 8.1 royally screwed. It was going through the install fine then it restarted and when it comes up now, it just has a blue screen and says, "Your PC needs to be repaired. The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information. File: \BCD Error code: 0xc000000d"
    06-26-2013 08:59 PM
    Great. I may be the first person that Windows 8.1 royally screwed. It was going through the install fine then it restarted and when it comes up now, it just has a blue screen and says, "Your PC needs to be repaired. The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information. File: \BCD Error code: 0xc000000d"
    I think it's patently unwise to install these preview versions of OSes in anything but virtual machines. Unless you have spare PC lying around as a test rig.
    06-26-2013 09:02 PM
    Installed perfectly fine for me! Very nice update for Windows 8! Only thing, I cant wait till developers start supporting these new windows sizes! (*cough Netflix!)
    johnbash612 likes this.
    06-26-2013 09:03 PM
    Well, tech support was really nice and said they are probably going to exchange it. He couldn't tell me if it would be a new unit or a refurb. I'm really hoping new but probably not in the cards.
    06-26-2013 09:29 PM
240 12345 ...