Windows 8.1 Preview for RT

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know whether anybody has mentioned it previously in this post but after you have installed the 8.1 preview how much space does it take up on the Surface? I know that you need 10 Gb to install it but how much does the upgrade take?

I provided this answer (located on the second page). Here's the quote:

I just wanted to confirm, after running Disk Cleanup, I now have a total of 16GB free. When I started the preview update, I had a little over 12GB free. This means that the 8.1 Preview takes up LESS space than 8.0 does, to the tune of 4-5GB less.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
2) Windows + S screen clipping (feature from OneNote) now opens the Search Charm. Don't know not which key is used for OneNote Clipping

OneNote Blog - Windows 8.1 Preview and a workaround for your favorite Win+S shortcut key

Today Microsoft released the Consumer Preview for
Windows 8.1
, also known as Windows Blue. If you try it out you'll notice a
lot of awesome changes. But try out the Windows + S shortcut for screen
clipping in OneNote and you'll find it doesn't work as expected! Don't panic, a
fix is coming soon and in the meantime, you can use the workaround below.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The update seems to have stabilized a lot of the glitchyness I've found. This scroll nicer and text doesn't take 30 min to show up in IE11

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that since updating my photo tile doesn't show any photos. I will have to investigate when I have more time.

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
IE11 page back/forward swipe issues in RT 8.1?

I'm just curious if anyone else has been encountering issues with Windows RT preview 8.1. More specifically, in the metro IE11 the page swiping seems to be doing some wonky things.

Swiping right to go back a page occasionally skips multiple pages and goes back quite a few steps. Seems like when that happens and I try to go forward again, IE get confused and them loads "about:blank" page and stop there.

Totally understand that this is a preview , but just seeing if I am not alone and if anyone has managed to resole the issue.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: IE11 page back/forward swipe issues in RT 8.1?

I don't think it is the actually swiping action that has issues. I have noticed sometimes that it might go back or forward the wrong amount of pages when I try to go back or forward multiple pages. Also, I believe that when you are getting the about:blank page, you are getting it because the tab more less crashed. I'm not positive about this but that is my best guess based on my own Surface experience.

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: IE11 page back/forward swipe issues in RT 8.1?

I have this issue a bunch actually, and I've also noticed some pages go to the mobile version and I cant find a way to go to the regular desktop version.

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
For those having problems with there photo's etc. on SD Card, right click folder of Photo's or Music, click Include in library, then select Document or Music or Pictures or Videos, then they will show up, worked fine for me adding music. Jim

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Getting a ton of WiFi issues. Showing limited constantly all the day. Was fine prior to the initial update. Getting annoying.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that swipe back in IE11 is even more glitchy after last night's software update.

Last edited:

webwevers#WN

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Mail app. broke over the weekend for me cannot sync any email accounts. Tried uninstalling it and also a refresh seems to work for awhile but then stops and will not sync accounts. wifi does seem to be iffy, sometimes works sometimes not, reconnecting works for awhile but then it gives a limited connectivity warning. Happy with most of the update, I am sure they will correct the issues and can't wait for the final release.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Had another issue today. Hit the home button and half of my app buttons were missing from the home screen. Had to do a restart to fix it. Whatever last night's update did has not made my Surface a happy camper.

On the plus side, 5 app updates that wouldn't install finally installed today.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
yeah mine has gotten worse as well. I'm also having more WiFi issues with connections becoming limited and IE keeps crashing. (Mostly tabs are just closing themselves)

Also, sometimes when I try to wake my Surface, it becomes unresponsive with the screen turned off, so I have to like hold the power button and like rapidly press it to turn back on.

Other than that, im falling in love with it all over again! <3

PS: not sure if the update fixed the problem where it will not recognize a WP plugged into it... will check when I get home from work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb