Windows 8.1 Preview for RT

gilezzz

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
My Yoga 11 has 2 user accounts (mine and gf) and I didn't meet any problem with the upgrade.

About the animated backgrounds.. I didn't find them either. But I am much happier with using the same background for desktop and metro, it feels more it's one single OS and not two like before.

Btw, I really appreciate the option "Show more tiles" that allows for 4 rows of tiles instead of 3.

scottd34

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Anybody having this issue replying to threads on wpcentral?

Using the metro IE after pressing enter to create a new line in the post, there is a significant lag when typing and when the letters show up. I switched to the desktop IE and it is much beter, but still a of lag time between when pressing the key and the letter showing.

If i used the metro IE, it is almost unusable to post something on wpcentral. Anybody else have this issue>?

I had the same problem on the eveonline official forums. I had to turn off compatibility mode in desktop mode for it to go away. When I did that I couldn't send a mail through the website until I turned on compatibility mode. I end up just toggling between modes as needed. Very annoying. I am on the fence about installing the preview, but maybe itll get fixed in ie11...

gilezzz

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Issue (I have a Lenovo Yoga 11 so not sure it applies to you guys): Bitlocker locked up my computer at startup. Already happened twice in 24 hours. I had to get an unlock code from another pc and input it. I am no expert on Bitlocker, but what could be the reason?

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just me, or is the Google app bugged? Doesn't look the same, and doesn't do the search job as smoothly?

Dude, you got a surface, just give up Google already.........hangouts do not work in the browser either - Im done with G, sick of them trying to create a monopoly on mobile by not supporting windows 8. Use Bing, much better experience with windows 8.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know where the 8.1 ISO download is for RT? Or can I use the appropriate 32/64 bit ISO and it includes support for RT? I did the update, and it's just acting weird. I would like to try a clean install instead.

Oh, before you mention, I already have a recovery thumb drive for 8.0 for just in case.

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know where the 8.1 ISO download is for RT? Or can I use the appropriate 32/64 bit ISO and it includes support for RT? I did the update, and it's just acting weird. I would like to try a clean install instead.

Oh, before you mention, I already have a recovery thumb drive for 8.0 for just in case.

If I recall correctly, before it was changed, the Preview update page stated that there was no ISO available for RT devices. The only way to get the Preview for an RT device is through the Windows Store.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If I recall correctly, before it was changed, the Preview update page stated that there was no ISO available for RT devices. The only way to get the Preview for an RT device is through the Windows Store.
Well I just learned something interesting: When you update to 8.1 Preview, it's an ALL IN thing. Meaning: it updates the recovery partition. So if you try doing a reset to factory, you still end up with 8.1 preview. So now if you create a new recovery disk under 8.1 Preview, it's an 8.1 recovery disk now (which I have now).

I guess when the update recommended creating a recovery disk, they meant it!!!

I'm still going to go back to 8.0, as I keep finding more and more issues with 8.1 that just don't make it an acceptable OS. I'll wait till the final version comes out.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Well I just learned something interesting: When you update to 8.1 Preview, it's an ALL IN thing. Meaning: it updates the recovery partition. So if you try doing a reset to factory, you still end up with 8.1 preview. So now if you create a new recovery disk under 8.1 Preview, it's an 8.1 recovery disk now (which I have now).

I guess when the update recommended creating a recovery disk, they meant it!!!

I'm still going to go back to 8.0, as I keep finding more and more issues with 8.1 that just don't make it an acceptable OS. I'll wait till the final version comes out.

I thought a PC refresh restored to 8.0 according to the 8.1 FAQ?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I thought a PC refresh restored to 8.0 according to the 8.1 FAQ?

Not sure what to say about that. But I just did a refresh restore, and it's still 8.1. I'm just waiting for the 8.0 files to copy over to my thumb drive then it's back to 8.0 (I archived the 8.0 thumb drive to an ISO awhile ago). Also I guess I get to learn the process of booting off the thumb drive now. Ooooohhhh this is going to be an interesting day.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
That's not true. I remember reading a warning on their download page that they suggest creating a USB recovery because once we update we are not able to return to 8.0.

Oops, you are correct, I see that now at the bottom of the page. What I was reading was not referring to RT. It clearly states further down that RT cannot revert back to 8.0. Sorry for any confusion.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Woohoo! Back to 8.0. Now doing the normal 8.0 updates.

Not sure why, but for some reason the 6/11 firmware never takes. Hoping it makes it this time. This is maybe why I've been having issues.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
So I absolutely regret having installed the 8.1 Preview. Here's my situation:

I didn't like the performance issues I was having on my Surface RT, so I decided to use the recovery drive I'd made earlier. I started to do a total reset (not actually clear if it was using the recovery drive to be honest), and when my Surface booted back up it says

Your PC needs to restart.
Please hold down the power button.
Error Code: 0x0000005C
Parameters:
0x00000110
0x05250631
0x00000014
0xC0000001

It does this every time I'm powering off and restarting. Doesn't boot into Windows. Am I screwed?

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I think it's patently unwise to install these preview versions of OSes in anything but virtual machines. Unless you have spare PC lying around as a test rig.

exactly. Everyone is running to it and getting disappointed... Virtual machine or spare machine os the only way to go... Now if you are reporting bugs, that is one thing... But complaining is another.

I usually am a beta tester, but I think this time I will pass other than doing a virtual machine later when a few updates have been released. I am much too fond of my surface rt or windows 8 ultrabook to test with them.

Once the surface preview has a few updates and it gets closer to release, I may update.

Good luck to everyone else, and remember to have fun with this.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
So I absolutely regret having installed the 8.1 Preview. Here's my situation:

I didn't like the performance issues I was having on my Surface RT, so I decided to use the recovery drive I'd made earlier. I started to do a total reset (not actually clear if it was using the recovery drive to be honest), and when my Surface booted back up it says

Your PC needs to restart.
Please hold down the power button.
Error Code: 0x0000005C
Parameters:
0x00000110
0x05250631
0x00000014
0xC0000001

It does this every time I'm powering off and restarting. Doesn't boot into Windows. Am I screwed?

Try starting over, but with a secure wipe of drive. Takes extra time... But.

Worst case, your Recovery disk is corrupt. We'll have to work something out later.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Try starting over, but with a secure wipe of drive. Takes extra time... But.

Worst case, your Recovery disk is corrupt. We'll have to work something out later.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, I literally cannot get into the OS... Or did you mean something else? Thanks for the help!

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Boot off your 8.0 Recovery disk, and start over, but choose to secure wipe the internal Surface drive.

If that doesn't work, you most likely have a corrupt 8.0 Recovery disk.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
bottom line, clarified or not, you are going to have to reinstall ****, and the "improvements" are just not enough for me to deal with that hassle. Everyone talks about 8.1 like its the second coming but it is just a point upgrade and not that great. Service Packs did more in the past. I don't need a start button or other dumb luddite stuff like boot to legacy desktop....especially on Surface RT. I really wish Microsoft would port all the remaining Desktop Apps and office to Metro and turn Desktop completely off on the Surface RT.

I would actually like them to incorporate desktop into the metro interface. Just add the task bar at the bottom. That would be much better. The task bar is a great tool and easy to navigate between apps. Then you can just have Open apps on the task bar and everything else as an icon in the metro interface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)