Windows 8.1 Preview for RT

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Ugh. I wish I could go back to 8.0 on my Surfact RT. 8.1 is pretty unstable and a lot of the programs I use seem to function very poorly on 8.1.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Idk why everyone s having so many problems! Mine is almost flawless! I even set my start screen background to my desktop background. And my desktop background is on a 10sec slideshow so it looks pretty sweet!

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Ugh. I wish I could go back to 8.0 on my Surfact RT. 8.1 is pretty unstable and a lot of the programs I use seem to function very poorly on 8.1.

Very glitchy the preview but expected. Had issues with my tiles on him screen dissapearing which had to restart the device.

Odd animation where an app in progress of being open gets stuck in animation,in middle of screen.

Other quirky lag and stuff.

The ability to map the sdcard to the Library is more than enough for me to live with all the expected glitches.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm really enjoying 8.1 on my Surface RT. The new UI features are great and Outlook RT pretty much completes the package for me.

The only app that I see that took a step backwards is Photos (albeit a major step back). What other programs aren't working for you?

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I am having a lot of visual artifacts when touching the screen during video playback on Netflix. The start/pause button on the keyboard works 10% of the time to start and pause videos. Solitaire is filled with glitches - if you quite out of a game, you have to completely close the app and relaunch it. Shuffle Party just doesn't load past the menu, etc. etc.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site

Didn't make the 8.0 Recovery disk?

I wish I was allowed to put the ISO on my Skydrive and share it out to those who didn't.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Didn't make the 8.0 Recovery disk?

I wish I was allowed to put the ISO on my Skydrive and share it out to those who didn't.

I did but it doesn't appear it will revert back to 8.0 from 8.1 on the Surface RT? At least I haven't been able to get it to.

Also, now I can't roll back the audio drive to fix the "audio issue" that is annoying and plagues these RT's. Sounds cuts in and out and has a "low sound filter". I guess it's my fault for installing a preview but I didn't know I couldn't roll back.

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I did but it doesn't appear it will revert back to 8.0 from 8.1 on the Surface RT?

From the Windows 8.1 Preview FAQ - Microsoft Windows
  • If you're currently using Windows RT, you won't be able to uninstall Windows RT 8.1 Preview. You'll be able to upgrade to the final edition of Windows RT 8.1 when it becomes available.

The only way back to 8.0 is from a Recovery Disk from an 8.0 Surface RT. If you have a MS store nearby, you might want to pay them a visit. Take your Surface RT, at least a 4GB thumb drive and ask politely if you can make a 8.0 recovery disk from an existing Surface RT 8.0. They might let you... but no guaranties.

Then boot off the 8.0 thumb drive and refresh your Surface RT.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, not sure as I have a flash drive with my 8.0 backup on it and it doesn't seem to work. Oh well, they seem to be releasing a ton of updates for it so I am sure the issues will be resolved :)

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
From the Windows 8.1 Preview FAQ - Microsoft Windows
  • If you're currently using Windows RT, you won't be able to uninstall Windows RT 8.1 Preview. You'll be able to upgrade to the final edition of Windows RT 8.1 when it becomes available.

The only way back to 8.0 is from a Recovery Disk from an 8.0 Surface RT. If you have a MS store nearby, you might want to pay them a visit. Take your Surface RT, at least a 4GB thumb drive and ask politely if you can make a 8.0 recovery disk from an existing Surface RT 8.0. They might let you... but no guaranties.

Then boot off the 8.0 thumb drive and refresh your Surface RT.

Why on earth wouldn't they let you?

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I am LLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG 8.1 PREVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is running near flawlessly on my Surface. Only glitch Ive had thus far is with Teamviewer........if the screen was left to sleep with Teamviewer running, I have to reboot to get my connection to remote PC back........Other than that, am loving it. Love having 2 windows of IE open, Love the new snap settings, love my new start screen with the different tile sizes, and the desktop wallpaper on start menu ties the whole thing together. Why they wouldnt have made that native in 8.0 makes no sense to me, but either way, I think the changes are fantastic, and I am impatiently waiting for Flipboard to come available.

iradeut

Jun 27, 2005
Visit site
I've been loving 8.1 also...especially having Outlook. However, I've hit my first major bug. If I plug in a second monitor via HDMI, it immediately disconnects me from wifi connectivity. This happens every time. I have to reboot to regain a connection. Anyone else experiencing this? It didn't happen prior to installing 8.1.

--Ira

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know whether anybody has mentioned it previously in this post but after you have installed the 8.1 preview how much space does it take up on the Surface? I know that you need 10 Gb to install it but how much does the upgrade take?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)