Windows 8.1 Preview for RT

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I was having a bunch of issues with the Preview (I did a simple upgrade from 8.0), but then I decided to do a full restore (wipe everything) when I noticed a bunch of random errors in Event Viewer and that has solved the vast majority of my problems. No more Wi-Fi issues, no more glitchy apps, IE seems to be working smoother, and best of all, I cleared up several more GB of space (I now have close to 20GB free, as opposed to the 16-17GB I had after I initially installed the Preview).

I know this may not solve everyone's problems as I have read others who have refreshed their devices and saw no improvement. However, I'm not sure which option they chose, but I would recommend giving their Surface a fresh install of 8.1, especially if they upgraded from 8.0.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, swipe back in IE11 is driving me crazy. It's constantly opening new tabs. The marketplace is a pain sometimes, with apps seemingly taking longer to install/update. Some apps like Angry Birds Star Wars won't open. I know it's a beta but I wish it would stop being so annoying sometimes, lol.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
IE 11 is a piece of trash. Worst browser I have ever used, and I've used a lot over the past 20 years. I can't even post to this site anymore with it. It's constantly failing to load, go back, or refresh.

Being beta I expected some glitches, but I also expected it to at least be usable. Especially seeing as how with RT you can't install other browsers, getting IE right was critical and they failed big time on the most basic of functionality.

kingkoopa09

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had minor problems my swipe still works even when I have two tabs open but with that said I usually have to refresh every few days to get good results and I am an active surface rt user about 8 hrs it gets some kind of use

gilezzz

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
IE 11 is a piece of trash. Worst browser I have ever used..
Hmm I actually noticed a big issue with the "back" function. Quite often when you swipe back either it doesn't work or it freezes for a while.
For the rest, though, I think IE 11 was an improvement over IE 10. At least on my Yoga 11 I used to have constant lagging when opening webpages, and that is gone. I think I am more relieved about that than concerned about the back function glitches that I think are going to be solved.

chrsdrshm

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
This has been the one thing that drives me crazy! Over all the tablet runs well for me on 8.1 but when I am on ie 11 especially this site and I swipe back a page it will almost always hangs... aside from that 8.1 runs pretty well...looking forward to the final release!

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Just checked and there are 3 new 8.1 updates for Surface RT today.

UPDATE:

update.JPG

Update that improves the stability of SkyDrive in Windows 8.1 Preview http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2871052

You cannot view a webpage that contains a timer in Internet Explorer 11 Preview http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2871055

You cannot view a webpage that contains a timer in Internet Explorer 1Update for Windows 8.1 Preview that enables service metadata packages to work correctly1 Preview http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2870257

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
With the price drop and availability of f 8.1 Preview, I decided to get a Surface RT again. Immediately upon getting it, I installed 8.1, so I can't really compare the overall performance to 8.0, but I don't have any complaints, except IE 11. It appears to be very slow at times. For example, when using Google Email through the browser, it's almost unusable as switching between folders, moving emails, takes 10-15 seconds sometimes. Has anyone else experienced performance issues with IE11? My CMW-equipped Nook HD+, which is much slower overall, has no issues like that. I know it's beta, but I'm just wondering if I should try resetting from scratch, or is it a known issue, hopefully to be solved prior to official release.

I do have to say I like all the improvements over 8.0, makes it a much more polished product.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
No, IE11 is just flat out trash. I didn't have any major issues with IE10. As I've mentioned before, 11 is the worst browser I have ever used. Not even MSN and Bing work right. And with the Surface RT, I'm stuck with it, which makes it 10x more irritating.

Other than that, I'm generally happy with the changes in 8.1. But a tablet without a solid browser is next to worthless. They need to make fixing it priority #1.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
No, IE11 is just flat out trash. I didn't have any major issues with IE10. As I've mentioned before, 11 is the worst browser I have ever used. Not even MSN and Bing work right. And with the Surface RT, I'm stuck with it, which makes it 10x more irritating.

Other than that, I'm generally happy with the changes in 8.1. But a tablet without a solid browser is next to worthless. They need to make fixing it priority #1.

I take it you haven't used many browsers.

Although I can throw up another example od tis not being a perfect upgrade yet. I'm getting occasional on screen keyboard lag here. Very few other places, and not all the time, but a decent enough tome to be annoying.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I take it you haven't used many browsers.

Although I can throw up another example od tis not being a perfect upgrade yet. I'm getting occasional on screen keyboard lag here. Very few other places, and not all the time, but a decent enough tome to be annoying.

Numerous versions of Netscape, Firefox, IE, Boat, Opera, Safari, Dolphin...to name a few. Sure some of those had issues, but at least they got the basics right. And in every case if I didn't like them I had other options.

I'll also repeat that I expected some issues with the preview, after all it is beta. But getting the basics wrong on a web browser is inexcusable.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Numerous versions of Netscape, Firefox, IE, Boat, Opera, Safari, Dolphin...to name a few. Sure some of those had issues, but at least they got the basics right. And in every case if I didn't like them I had other options.

I'll also repeat that I expected some issues with the preview, after all it is beta. But getting the basics wrong on a web browser is inexcusable.

Having used Chrome on mobile, I will tell you that this isn't the worst browser.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
:shocked: Are you really trying to suggest that mobile Chrome is worse than beta IE 11 right now? Wow...

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. Allow me to explain my issues that are still there.
-Still inefficient with more than a couple of tabs open
-Like flash? Too bad
-Want to watch HTML5 YouTube? Good one.
-WebKit quirks are worse for rendering at times

It isn't all worse, but this is an overall look.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon