Windows 8.1 Preview for RT

Matt J

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
The MS link is here --> How to sync Google services with Windows - Microsoft Windows Help
I can't help but feel that if it was going to be added, it would have been there is the preview. Suspect that MS would say that IE is an acceptable way to use Google services if Google don't want to make an app.

Now that I think about it, the Windows 8.1 update is separate from the Mail, People and Calendar apps. MS could just update those apps to include CardDAV and CalDAV support. So, MS could issue the app update any time... before or after the official 8.1 update.

When I bought my Surface RT, the rep (who said he just got back from training, and seemed knowledgeable) said that the ability to sync Google Calendar would be coming with the 8.1 update. I asked him several times if he was sure and he was adamant that the MS trainer said it was coming with the update.... grain of salt... but hope.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So I'm not entirely sure what happened to my SmartGlass app but the Recent icons look like this now. I uninstalled, reset and installed again but no luck fixing it. Contacted Microsoft Answers but they didn't know either. It annoys me so much that I'm gonna try a Refresh (plus I've been wanting to Refresh anyway so this is a good excuse).

smartglassrecent.png

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Refresh didn't fix the icons. I'm gonna have to call it, SmartGlass broken in 8.1 beta!

Technically the app still works, those icons are just ugly.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have never been able to get Search to work on Windows 8.1 Preview for RT. I know the search function is supposed to be fantastic, using Bing to search across everything (the Surface itself, settings, files, and the World Wide Web). However, whenever I search for anything--regardless of how I search, whether it be by just typing from the Start Screen, or actually swiping in and selecting the Search icon, whether I choose Everywhere or just Settings--nothing ever comes up. It just says it cannot connect, and displays nothing, even for things that are on the Surface (like searching for "control panel". What's going on? It's not like I can uninstall and reinstall "search".

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So I'm not entirely sure what happened to my SmartGlass app but the Recent icons look like this now. I uninstalled, reset and installed again but no luck fixing it. Contacted Microsoft Answers but they didn't know either. It annoys me so much that I'm gonna try a Refresh (plus I've been wanting to Refresh anyway so this is a good excuse).

Update: So I did the Refresh and deleted the old profile. Didn't fix the problem with SmartGlass but my HD jumped from 9 gigs to 14. Woot! Not satisfied, I decided to do a complete reinstall of Windows. Didn't take anywhere near as long as I thought. Especially since all my settings and apps were backed up to the cloud. Sadly, it didn't fix SmartGlass. I even cleared the cache on my Xbox in the off chance that might fix it. Nope. So either something is wrong with my profile and it's synced to the cloud hence why it's so hard to fix. Or, there's a problem with running both the 8.1 beta and the current Xbox dashboard beta which I'm also a part of.

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
@ hey cori and all

I read the article thanx .

What I want to know actually is like in iPad when you press a word it gives you a option of " define " and then tells you a dictionary meaning a simplified meaning of it .
Is such thing available system wide ? Say in ebook reading , web surfing ? .
I need that kind of facility because English is not my first language so I use the system wide dictionary a lot when I need to know a simplified meaning of a particular word which I don't understand .

Kindly see the attached pic , is something like this available on surface or windows rt ?
Thanx in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 12

bradbamford

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
short answer is No, Microsoft would have to build that in, in the same way they built in Copy and Paste.

There are several offline dictionary apps that can be downloaded from the store.
It would be easy to highlight a word, then click the share charm and share to a dictionary app that would open the definition in the sidebar.
However, each app would have to allow sharing of the selected text in the app. Most apps don't share selected text, they share a URL, or a photo or whatever they want to share.

If you know how to code, you could write a simple browser app, and a simple dictionary app to do the above.
Other than that I don't know how you could do it on RT. In regular Windows 8, you could use Chrome and a Chrome plugin in the Metro UI.

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
short answer is No, Microsoft would have to build that in, in the same way they built in Copy and Paste.

There are several offline dictionary apps that can be downloaded from the store.
It would be easy to highlight a word, then click the share charm and share to a dictionary app that would open the definition in the sidebar.
However, each app would have to allow sharing of the selected text in the app. Most apps don't share selected text, they share a URL, or a photo or whatever they want to share.

If you know how to code, you could write a simple browser app, and a simple dictionary app to do the above.
Other than that I don't know how you could do it on RT. In regular Windows 8, you could use Chrome and a Chrome plugin in the Metro UI.
Thanx a million for the help .

I think I will wait till the nokia tablet , surface mini and surafce rt comes and also the iPad 5 and then decide .

Well for the phone ,iam a wp user since wp7 with htc trophy and now on lumia 720 .

Hope Microsoft builts a dictonary soon so I can jump from the iPad ship with closed eyes .

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
What I want to know actually is like in iPad when you press a word it gives you a option of " define " and then tells you a dictionary meaning a simplified meaning of it .
Is such thing available system wide ? Say in ebook reading , web surfing ? .

You just need to find a dictionary app that plugs into the Share charm (not the Search charm, because that's being depreciated for in-app searching), and it would then work that way.

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
One question about the upgrade: I was too late for the Preview for RT but I read that you need 10 GB of free space for 8.1 Preview. Will you also need 10 GB free for 8.1 Final when it comes next month? (I have only installed apps, not even added much data to the 32 GB model and already running on 9 GB of free space)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99