Windows 8.1 Preview for RT

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
One question about the upgrade: I was too late for the Preview for RT but I read that you need 10 GB of free space for 8.1 Preview. Will you also need 10 GB free for 8.1 Final when it comes next month? (I have only installed apps, not even added much data to the 32 GB model and already running on 9 GB of free space)

It will be done as an update, so will overwrite existing files. It wont take up an extra 10gig of space. It wont even be a 10gig download. The preview was the complete OS, when we get it it will just update our OS

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
And now we have to wait until October 17th... because reasons.

No good ones, but there are reasons I'm sure.

its probably because software doesn't write its self and needs testing. Also converting it from an os dump into an update that wont brick machines probably takes some time too.

Stupid reasons i know, much better to rush it out full of bugs and brick a shed load of surface rt tabs than wait a month...........

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
its probably because software doesn't write its self and needs testing. Also converting it from an os dump into an update that wont brick machines probably takes some time too.

Stupid reasons i know, much better to rush it out full of bugs and brick a shed load of surface rt tabs than wait a month...........

The OS is at RTM. If you want to go out and torrent it, you can get the RT RTM. It might take some time, but 2 months?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
The only bad thing about sarcasm is that it helps mask what your real opinion is. :p

Lol true, personally i don't mind waiting for software updates. I was a long time modder of android phones, but im done with buggy software now. Give me tested and stable please. If i have to wait a month or two for a solid service, so be it.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Lol true, personally i don't mind waiting for software updates. I was a long time modder of android phones, but im done with buggy software now. Give me tested and stable please. If i have to wait a month or two for a solid service, so be it.

So you think we're going to be getting day one 8.1 patches? Because the RTM version is what we're going to be updating to.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
So you think we're going to be getting day one 8.1 patches? Because the RTM version is what we're going to be updating to.

Probably yes, but if not, if its the Tuesday after launch when the updates land then that's fine too. But you seem to be making out like ms are sitting on the software and doing nothing. RT will be being worked on right now, regardless of the rtm status.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone confirm that they strip out all of the stale stock app .xaps that come with 8. Those take up space still even if you uninstall them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon