8.1 Preview: Can't check for app updates in Windows Store?

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
With the new 8.1 preview, I initially checked for app updates in the windows store, and a bunch were found and installed. Now though, every time I try to check for app updates, the check button is grayed out. Is this the case for anybody else running the preview?

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Right but I thought they always did that, but you could manually check to get them sooner. If that isn't an option anymore, why does the button still exist to check for updates, and why is there still an app updates setting in the charms bar?

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
There is an important difference between "Download app updates automatically" and "Update my apps automatically". The latter downloads and installs the updates, the former only downloads them. Anyway, I'm guessing they've improved the update mechanism so you should no longer have to wait for updates.

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. When in the store app, if you open the charms bar and press settings, there is a section called app updates. If you go into it, there is a big touch button that says "check for updates", which performs a manual update check outside of whatever automatic schedule that may exist. With the 8.1 preview however, that whole button is simply grayed out. I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed the same thing?

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It's grayed out on mine sometimes. Toggling the Check Automatically and/or running wsreset from a command prompt (resets the Store cache) fixes it. Note there's some issues with some of their built-in apps not working/updating (Scan, Alarms, Reader etc).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12