Windows 8.1 On-Screen Keyboard Issues with Surface Pro

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
For anyone else testing the 8.1 preview on a Surface Pro, are you experiencing any problems with the on screen keyboard? I like the OS and would like to give it a fair test for future implementation but have found the on screen keyboard to be a mess. The essential problem is that unless I type very slowly, it regularly skips characters or inserts accented characters from the press and hold option. What I trying to decide is if this is an OS problem, or touch issue with the tablet. Feedback regarding other peoples' experience would help. BTW, this issue is worse when typing on webpages but can also crop up in other apps. An example is presented below. I typed the same phrase ten times at varying speeds and these are the results.

This is a test. His is a ts. This is a tes. Hisi a test. This is a test. This is a test. this is a tes. This is a tes. This is a test. This is a test. This is a tes.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been using 8.1 for over a month (several different builds) and never had this issue or anything similar. I have used the onscreen keyboard, Touch Cover and Type cover with no issues like this.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. With a beta it is always good to know whether I am looking at quirky OS issue or hardware problem. After restoring Windows 8 the problem still existed. A trip to the local Microsoft Store confirmed it was an unresolvable hardware failure and they swapped out the tablet.

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have experienced this issue and actually mentioned it over on the TabletPC review forums. The general response I received back was that no one else was experiencing the same issue.

Inevitably I reset my Surface Pro and it fixed the issue.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have experienced this issue and actually mentioned it over on the TabletPC review forums. The general response I received back was that no one else was experiencing the same issue.

Inevitably I reset my Surface Pro and it fixed the issue.

As it turns out it appears to be a screen sensitivity issue with some Surface Pros. The guess at the Microsoft store was there is a timing lag between the touch response and CPU. That conclusion was reached because you can make it much worse (nearly unusable) if the processor is under heavy load. In addition, as far as specific sites go, this is the worst I have encountered. I am glad 8.1 will be released within the warranty period because my bet is it is not that isolated and there will be quite a few exchanges..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99