Windows surface RT

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface RT, got a free Typecover when I purchased it. I love everything about it with the exception of Internet Explorer...it makes me hate it.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't buy a Surface RT purely on the basis that it's cheaper than the Pro version. They're completely different devices (one's a tablet, the other one is a touch-enabled laptop).

If you're thinking of getting an RT, make sure you know what it does and doesn't do.

Repeat after me: "Windows RT is not Windows, it only looks like Windows"

Oh, and the touch cover is nice (typing works well, but takes a little getting used to), but the type cover is slightly better to type on when it's on your lap.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
No legacy apps and hence very limited, it is not that hard to understand.

Not really, one device is for Home use the other for Business use. Why do you think Surface RT ships with Office Home & Student instead, it's not that hard to understand.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is still Windows. Saying a lack of ability to play x86 apps makes it not Windows is to link Windows to a single type of file.

I was attempting to make it easier to understand for the OP, who was implying that the choice between RT and Win 8 Pro was based on price. If he bought an RT and tried to install Firefox, Flight Simulator, or Leisure Suit Larry, then he'd be understandably upset if he was under the impression that RT was a Windows device (which it is technically, I know...)

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I was attempting to make it easier to understand for the OP, who was implying that the choice between RT and Win 8 Pro was based on price. If he bought an RT and tried to install Firefox, Flight Simulator, or Leisure Suit Larry, then he'd be understandably upset if he was under the impression that RT was a Windows device (which it is technically, I know...)

Ah, then you have my apologies.
All too often I read people bashing RT based on the idea that it isn't Windows.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

That would predicate that he didn't READ the simple writing on the back of the box in which case there would be no excuse for ignorance. If you simply spend hundreds of dollars without doing a modicum of research then you prescribe to the phrase a fool and his money are soon parted.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ah, then you have my apologies.
All too often I read people bashing RT based on the idea that it isn't Windows.

Not a problem, I think we're both expressing the same concern, but just from different directions.

That would predicate that he didn't READ the simple writing on the back of the box in which case there would be no excuse for ignorance. If you simply spend hundreds of dollars without doing a modicum of research then you prescribe to the phrase a fool and his money are soon parted.

The look & feel of Windows RT has made it easy to confuse with "full fat" windows. Very easy not to bother reading the back of the box.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion