Why so much hate for RT?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
And what product, prey-tell is this you speak of?

Lets say you purchased a newly launched innovative product for $800, and because its not doing well in the market 2 weeks later you see it on sale for $100 on Ebay, how'd you feel?
If you wanted to sell it to someone, I don't think anyone would pay over $40 or so, as it was available for 100 bucks, so the 800 you paid went down the drain for no fault of yours, imagine countless people in the same scenario.

a few weeks back, this tablet for available for 200 bucks, read some articles a few months back that this product did not deliver what it was expected to and they want to get rid of it.

This is 1 of the reasons I think the product is hated, I don't own it but have seen some stuff about it.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't see that as a good reason. You can buy refurb Black and Decker lawn equipment, direct from B&D, on ebay for like 25% of what the stuff sells for at Home Depot. People aren't hating on B&D.

-E

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My opinion is that the recent price drop is price correction. It was initially overpriced. Let's face it: the RT certainly has advantages over the competition with it's Office suite, but does the average tablet user care about that? Probably not. I see RT ads all the time on MLB.tv, and the things they tout are mostly useless to the average consumer. Sure it's better than the iPad, provided you need a tablet to edit a PowerPoint presentation or if you're a scout who needs to video chat with your supervisor while looking up stats. If you use your tablet primarily for browsing and gaming, the iPad or Nexus is probably a better fit.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
After using RT for a week I can say that they should've put the WP crew on the project. First, the idea of having varying amounts of UI crap exposed by swiping from nearly every edge of the screen is unusable. WP has a good solution for that - the three dots, providing an instant visual indication that there is a hidden UI element. The second thing is the lack of app availability. There are less apps for RT than there are for WP. And the same app on RT sometimes offers _less_ functionality than it does on WP. I mean, there isn't even a FB app for RT, but there's one for the phone? wth?

RT has its good points, but I definitely be pretty ripped if I had paid full price for it, versus the ebay refurb deal. I think the MS guys working on Win 8 Metro need to look at how the WP team have solved some of the Metro UI issues (tile resizing is a good example). RT is kind of frustrating to use. It needs some polish.

-E

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Lets say you purchased a newly launched innovative product for $800, and because its not doing well in the market 2 weeks later you see it on sale for $100 on Ebay, how'd you feel?
If you wanted to sell it to someone, I don't think anyone would pay over $40 or so, as it was available for 100 bucks, so the 800 you paid went down the drain for no fault of yours, imagine countless people in the same scenario.

a few weeks back, this tablet for available for 200 bucks, read some articles a few months back that this product did not deliver what it was expected to and they want to get rid of it.

This is 1 of the reasons I think the product is hated, I don't own it but have seen some stuff about it.

Yeah, you've "seen some stuff"...and evidently couldn't keep any of it straight as your prices and timelines aren't even close.

The 64GB Surface retailed for $600. 11 months (that's almost a year, since you struggle with the concept of time) after it was released a limited supply of a couple thousand REFURBS were sold on eBay for $200. Regular price is currently $450.

And oh yeah, one last thing, the RT hate was there at release date and actually lessened once the price was reduced. Not the other way around as you insist.

Last edited by a moderator:

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, can't imagine B&D making OS or computers.

Dell offers discounted refurbs on their website. This doesn't affect consumer opinion on the hardware offered there. Verizon gave away the 822 a few months after I paid $150-$200 for it (can't remember the exact price). As was suggested earlier, that's the price of early adoption. Many companies sell refurb products at a price that significantly undercuts their normal pricing, and companies also rapidly adjust pricing downwards in response to market conditions.

What you're suggesting is like getting pissed that you spent $2.99 on a jar of Ragu because it went BOGO two weeks later. No one is hating on Ragu for that reason - no one is hating on RT because refurbs became available at a steep discount.

-E

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My apologies if I edited out the part about Dell selling refurbs (although I didn't think I did but I could be mistaken). Either way, feel free to edit that portion back in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb