Why so much hate for RT?

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
To try to rerail the topic, perhaps if RT's original price point was lower (sold at a loss), RT would've gained more momentum. I think this strategy was used for the Nexus 7. But who wants to be the manager who suggests selling a new product at a loss?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Lets say you purchased a newly launched innovative product for $800, and because its not doing well in the market 2 weeks later you see it on sale for $100 on Ebay, how'd you feel?
If you wanted to sell it to someone, I don't think anyone would pay over $40 or so, as it was available for 100 bucks, so the 800 you paid went down the drain for no fault of yours, imagine countless people in the same scenario.

a few weeks back, this tablet for available for 200 bucks, read some articles a few months back that this product did not deliver what it was expected to and they want to get rid of it.

This is 1 of the reasons I think the product is hated, I don't own it but have seen some stuff about it.

You sstill have not told me what product launched at 1k and dropped to 200.

What product are you talking about?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
^Something's wrong with you pal.
Lol, humor from your current signature.

Yeah I know, everyone says something's wrong with me. Just ask my wife! :winktongue: But hey, nobody can accuse me of being a ****** of any one system! If I make a comment about something I don't like about a certain OS to someone who is using it, I can prove I'm not speaking out of simple spite by pulling a device running said OS out of my pocket. I have no love or hate for any of them. I'm purely objective. Any bias that may be perceived came from my experiences.

Here's another thing: I work in tech support and retail. If someone asks me for advice, my first question is what they'll be using it for. Since I'm familiar with all 3 systems and know their strengths and weaknesses, I can objectively steer them in the right direction without any bias. Also, I'm familiar with all 3 OS's so I can help with at least basic problems with any of them. You know; jack of all trades and master of none. :eek:rly:

You sstill have not told me what product launched at 1k and dropped to 200.

What product are you talking about?

I understood it to be using exaggeration as a figure of speech. But, maybe he had a real life scenario in mind; I don't know.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I was able to go on vacation and not have to take a laptop for the first time in years. I was able to everything that I normally do remotely on my Surface RT. My sister's iPad was good for keeping a two year old from crying. Some of the underrating of the Surface is ridiculous. As is the overrating of the iPad and nexus.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I was able to go on vacation and not have to take a laptop for the first time in years. I was able to everything that I normally do remotely on my Surface RT. My sister's iPad was good for keeping a two year old from crying. Some of the underrating of the Surface is ridiculous. As is the overrating of the iPad and nexus.

amen brother

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I paid $600 for a 64 RT in December, and then bought a second one for $200 off during a Microsoft store opening-day sale this summer (also scored a couple of early-bird concert tickets which I gave away there). Happy both times, and also paid $100 for the incomparable Complete coverage each time.

The price is high when you buy something you don't need or don't know how to use productively/happily. Wise shopping to all.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I am one of the RT early adopters. I have no plans to replace it and I still use it every day for at least 2-3 hours. I am ecstatic about the 8.1 update, such a drastic improvement and I don't need new hardware to take advantage of the majority of it... that is unheard of in mobile technology today.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well I never really had much interest in an iPad andAndroid annoys me so much that I have no desire to use an android device anytime soon.

I never got the hate for the RT really though I do think the price is and still is overpriced compared to the competition simply because when you are the under dog you can't come out with premium pricing out the gate like that. Nokia had it right with the original Lumias(the Lumia 1020 was overpriced imo just for the camera...199 should have been its price point... or maybe 219, 229 or 249) where they were great devices and premium devices sold at a midrange price level.

The Surface Should have allowed users who got the keyboard to get the color they wanted instead of having to pay extra to get it... which annoyed me.

As well as a lot of the features being offered with the new surface devices such as Skydrive and Skype should have been added to the original gen of surface because then I could almost understand the price.

But I love my surface and the only way it'll be replaced is with the Nokia tablet or one of the new surface devices.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The hate comes from the idiots that want a full blown laptop replacement and think that means that everyone else should want one. Then there are the other two groups... Those who want a mobile simple, tablet experience and just need to use the apps, email, web browsing, music, and video; and the other half of those who want a laptop replacement and don't have an issue with the people that want an RT experience tied with the much LOWER PRICE. If you don't want RT, great. STFU about RT then. People down in Florida dont need four wheel drive on their daily drivers, but that doesn't mean the people in Michigan dont need it for the winter. I dont see those down south spending every waking minute, going on automobile forums screaming and crying to get rid of four wheel drive. Again...you don't want RT? STFU then. There are is a small group of us that want it. It doesn't affect the Pro at all, so your argument is pointless.

These idiots are the same idiots that cried non-stop about the stupid start button. They wouldn't shut up about such a small and pointless item. The loud crying crowd got what they wanted....the start button. And guess what? Windows 8 works the same. No difference. There was already ten million ways to do the same thing. You'll cry about the RT because you want Pro. If they kill it, what will change for you? NOTHING, your going to still buy the same Surface Pro you were going to. All your going to do is force people like me that wanted a cheaper tablet without the full blown PC, to have to go look at the entry level iPad line or Androids. Real smart.

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The hate comes from the idiots that want a full blown laptop replacement and think that means that everyone else should want one. Then there are the other two groups... Those who want a mobile simple, tablet experience and just need to use the apps, email, web browsing, music, and video; and the other half of those who want a laptop replacement and don't have an issue with the people that want an RT experience tied with the much LOWER PRICE. If you don't want RT, great. STFU about RT then. People down in Florida dont need four wheel drive on their daily drivers, but that doesn't mean the people in Michigan dont need it for the winter. I dont see those down south spending every waking minute, going on automobile forums screaming and crying to get rid of four wheel drive. Again...you don't want RT? STFU then. There are is a small group of us that want it. It doesn't affect the Pro at all, so your argument is pointless.

These idiots are the same idiots that cried non-stop about the stupid start button. They wouldn't shut up about such a small and pointless item. The loud crying crowd got what they wanted....the start button. And guess what? Windows 8 works the same. No difference. There was already ten million ways to do the same thing. You'll cry about the RT because you want Pro. If they kill it, what will change for you? NOTHING, your going to still buy the same Surface Pro you were going to. All your going to do is force people like me that wanted a cheaper tablet without the full blown PC, to have to go look at the entry level iPad line or Androids. Real smart.
Yeah, it's all the consumers' fault! Stupid consumers!

The fact that you don't understand that Microsoft greatly caused and contributed to the confusion in the first place is an indication that you aren't seeing the situation clearly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6