Maybe Surface Pro or wait for next gen

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
While another gen Surface will likely come, I wouldn't wait for something that hasn't even been rumored yet by MS, much less officially announced. If their old habits are anything to go by, you still wait 6 months after the announcement to get one :D

lce123

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
While another gen Surface will likely come, I wouldn't wait for something that hasn't even been rumored yet by MS, much less officially announced. If their old habits are anything to go by, you still wait 6 months after the announcement to get one :D

Your probably right there... Maybe I should just splash out and get it, it looks like a pretty sweet device hoping it is powerful enough to play Minecraft and do some video editing on it, do you if has these capabilities ?

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0097009/photos/96531253@N05/sets/72157634557393441/

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Get it now, you can always sell it later. Something I've learned from being 30 years in IT, there's always something new around the corner. So if you can justify the purchase now then get it now. The Pro is a great device apart from the battery life, but that's pretty much a given for this kind of device.

One piece of advice I'll give enable Bitlocker when you first get the Surface to protect your data. Can be a pain when it kicks in with certain updates but I'd take that over compromised data any day.

Whilst Haswell will improve battery life it may not be as dramatic as people are hoping for, the dramatic increase in battery life seen for Haswell Apple devices is more down to the optimisations in OSX than Haswell itself. Battery life for a device in use is roughly comparable with current gen, it's only at idle you see the improvements.

lce123

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Get it now, you can always sell it later. Something I've learned from being 30 years in IT, there's always something new around the corner. So if you can justify the purchase now then get it now. The Pro is a great device apart from the battery life, but that's pretty much a given for this kind of device.

One piece of advice I'll give enable Bitlocker when you first get the Surface to protect your data. Can be a pain when it kicks in with certain updates but I'd take that over compromised data any day.

Whilst Haswell will improve battery life it may not be as dramatic as people are hoping for, the dramatic increase in battery life seen for Haswell Apple devices is more down to the optimisations in OSX than Haswell itself. Battery life for a device in use is roughly comparable with current gen, it's only at idle you see the improvements.

Good point never even used Bitlocker before (shameful as I do IT also)

Would you say it is worth buying a Pre owned one? I heard that sometimes the backup partition is missing which means you can put windows 8 OEM back on

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0097009/photos/96531253@N05/sets/72157634557393441/

Res215dg

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat on deciding whether to buy now or wait for next gen

And guess what, I just picked up a Surface Pro yesterday and don't regret it.

No matter how long you hold out for a new device, a newer version of that one is already in the works- so you can only be caught up with technology for so long until what's new is already considered last-gen - If you really want the Surface Pro now- just go for it, you won't regret it

I picked my 128GB Pro off Craigslist Used missing the smart stylus pen for $700 in New Condition- Went to the M$ store to pick up some accessories and they hooked me up with the OEM stylus pen for free! I think someone posted on the forums that their backup partition was missing and the M$ store was able to restore the Surface back to factory for them

dstrauss

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
If you are not in dire need, I would wait. Haswell is going to make a major impact on this category of device (look at the Dell XPS 12 for an example), and you can bet Windows 8.1 is being tuned for it, just as OS X was for the MacBook Air. Call it wait cycles, idle sleep, magic pixie dust, whatever, my daughter's 2013 Air runs forever compared to her 2012 we got he for graduation (thanks to BB returns we were able to upgrade). She routinely hits 10-11 hours per charge on the same workload (Office, internet, videos, email). Besides, you'll also want to consider a 256gb model if there is any way to swing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire