8GB Ram upgrade

lce123

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone attempted to upgrade their Surface by soldering an 8GB Ram onto it instead of having 4?

I would like to know if this would be possible or if anyone has done it and succeeded

lce123

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Just thinking the soldering on the Ram would probably be so small and the ram so hard to ind the right size that I doubt it it possible unless you have robot hands

lce123

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Indeed. Guess its just down to how confident you are - the set of instructions you're following - and if you're prepared to void the warranty on an expensive piece of tech.

If this was an Apple product their would be 100 different companies offering to do it for you.. Damn mainstream

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The red boxes are the RAM chips, soldered directly to the mainboard:
VcsKySBLYruXmxQi.large

Even if you were to find chips that would work, had the skills/tools/patience to get the device apart far enough to do it, and had the skills and equipment to de-solder the old chips and re-solder the new chips, I don't know how one would find out whether the device would support them. It probably is too much risk for the reward.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I read somewhere test were done trying to swap out the hard drive. They did it but the surface never worked the same after. Mostly the touch screen wasn't as responsive.

I wouldn't want to take the chance on a $990 machine just to boost the ram.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know lol I couldn't find one ><

nobody offers RAM upgrades for any iOS device, maybe even Apple's newer laptops.

People have done it in the old days of Windows Mobile (read, the Treo 700w's RAM upgrade, which was rendered moot by the 700wx)

bradbamford

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The RT device is 32bit and therefore has a 4GB limit of memory that it can access. You need 64bit to access anything over 4GB in any PC.

You can install more than 4GB on many 32bit PCs but the OS won't ever use more than 4GB.

The surface Pro (64bit) could theoretically handle more if the motherboard / chipset supported it

Last edited:

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
The RT device is 32bit and therefore has a 4GB limit of memory that it can access. You need 64bit to access anything over 4GB in any PC.

You can install more than 4GB on many 32bit PCs but the OS won't ever use more than 4GB.

The surface Pro could theoretically handle more if the motherboard / chipset supported it

Is surface pro 32bit or 64bit?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The cpu maybe capable but it is determined by the OS, as brad mentioned if the O/S is 32bit it will only detect 4 gb - unfortunately MS don't specify whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit Surface Pro - Microsoft Store

Anyone who does not know that Surface Pro runs the 64 bit version of Windows 8 Pro either does not own the device or lacks some pretty basic knowledge about every version of Windows since at least Vista. If you check the computer properties you will find it is clearly identified as a 64 bit OS just a few lines below the WEI score. This has also been well reported in various contexts since the product was announced last year. Of course this is a completely meaningless discussion though since the RAM is not user replaceable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb